In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin-Nagant 91/30 Scope Mounting Price

GavinGavin Member Posts: 6

Hello,

I recently bought a Mosin-Nagant M91/30 rifle and I want to mount it with a PU scope. Besides the cost of the scope itself, how much would a gunsmith charge to have it mounted on my rifle? Also, does anyone know of a good mounting service or company that would be willing to accept this project?

Comments

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

No one going to help this shooter out?

Gavin

I think you can probably purchase a new Ruger or Savage already drilled and tapped and in your favorite caliber, for what you would pay to have your M-N drilled and tapped.

And these new cheap rifles are so accurate it is uncanny.

Save the M-N for open site hunting (in the brush or from short-range stands.

And if it has any collector value you would not want to change anything on it.

Photo of a buck taken with a Jap Arisaka a long dead uncle brought back from the Pacific Theater.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think that any of us can answer your questions.  There are enough M-N snipers with the side base around that most folks aren't going to fool around with altering a standard rifle.  I've never taken an M-N sniper apart, but it looks to me like adding the side base requires removing wood from the side of the stock, then drilling & tapping the receiver.  I'd be surprised if you could find a gunsmith willing to attempt that, for any amount of money, lacking a jig, English language armorer's service manual, or spare parts.
    Had you told us where you live, someone may have been able to suggest a gunsmith in your area.  You may want to do a Google search for "full service gunsmith", & phone those who are close enough to you to drive.  (Round trip shipping of a big, heavy rifle will cost at least $80.)  Good luck.  Please get back to us & let us know how this turns out.
    Neal
  • Options
    hobo9650hobo9650 Member Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭
    Put a scout scope on it.  Easy-peasy.
  • Options
    chris8X57chris8X57 Member Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭✭
    If you are going for the WW2 look, then a PU scope and mount will be correct for the later round receiver rifles.  An earlier hex shaped receiver would be more correct with a PEM style scope and mount.  
    If you get a reproduction mount, most come with the correct drill and tap, as well as the required metric screws.  A PU mount will require drilling and tapping the mount screws, and notching the screw heads for the locking screws.  Also, some mounts may require a shear pin drilled for additional recoil strength.  
    Most gunsmiths will charge around 15-20 dollars per hole to drill and tap.  This is not a difficult job, and finding a local gunsmith to do this work should not be difficult.  As mentioned earlier, a PU mount will require milling a clearance in the stock for the mount.  
    A company called Accumounts sells reproduction Mosin-Nagant, Mauser, and other correct sniper style mounts, as well as any mounting hardware you might require.  
    Good luck on your project.
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Don't forget you will have to have the bolt handle modified too.

I would go with the Accumount, they run about 120 bucks and a gunsmith will do the work for another 200 probably.  Then you will have a correctly done MN and all you will need is a PN scope.

When its all said and done you will have a correct MN sniper rifle that might shoot 3" at 100m with really good ammo.
    RLTW

• Options
    GavinGavin Member Posts: 6

I completed my project. Here are the results:

I thank all who responded to my post and helped direct me through the process. Thanks!