In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Snake in the Grass!

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭

This guy was in the yard yesterday right next to the house.   At least 5 feet long.

Comments

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,035 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool , he will keep the vermin & poisonous snakes away !
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    looks like black rat snake.....gottem at lake place in eastern kansas....great mouser and they can go to the top of a big oak tree like a rocket
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    Looks like a diamond head cottonback to me!
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭
    Black Racer.Plenty of them here in the south.In the first picture where it is sort of rippled looking,thats how they look at rest or asleep.He the keeps vermin population down.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

NANCY!

I'm sorry, was that a political comment?
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭
    buddyb said:
    Black Racer.Plenty of them here in the south.In the first picture where it is sort of rippled looking,thats how they look at rest or asleep.He the keeps vermin population down.
    Yep, they can get pretty long too, have seen a few that would "almost" stretch across a 2 lane state highway  :o, and they don't call them a Racer for no reason either....they are fast  ;)

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    I have never figured out if the rodent population goes down because of all the rodents Mr. Black Snake eats or if the rodents realize Mr. Black Snake is in the neighborhood and leave the neighborhood under their own power.  Either way is fine with me.  No rodents are good rodents!!        :D       
  • Options
    JIM STARKJIM STARK Member Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭
    looks like black rat snake.....gottem at lake place in eastern kansas....great mouser and they can go to the top of a big oak tree like a rocket..
    Absolutely correct....NOT a black racer!!!!
    JIM...................
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    Speaking of long snakes. This video is like something out of the Twilight Zone. Something like this would be a nightmare.  :#
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3OjfK0t1XM
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    You had to post it and I had to watch it. Holy cow. No sleep for a month.
    Snakes and mice seem to get along ok. Lived in an old house for a few years, Plenty of snakes and mice lived in walls and ceilings.The snakes were the black rat snake variety.  No way a snake could keep up with the vermin population. They don't eat often. 5 to 6 feet long was common. Wife would snatch them right up when one made it into the house.
    Know man who went to Togo on missionary trips. If the huts had rats and mice=no snakes(cobras).
    No rats and mice= a snake near by. One of his traveling friends told me the natives would use their babies to catch some type of a viper, not the deadly kind. They would stick the babies leg into a snake hole, snake would grab babies leg and then they pull the snake put, it would not let go of the child's foot. True story.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭
    Had one of those snakes in front of garage last month.  Just as I was going in to tell wife not to open the garage she opened it.  That snake moved fast into the garage.  Tried everything to get him out he just went behind more and more stuff.  Finally just gave up and left garage door open a couple of inches at the bottom.  He must have gotten out as we have not had any strange smells in the garage like a dead snake.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Another black rat snake, lucky you.
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    Black rat.  Racers are pencil thin,  rats are thicker.  Also the white under the chin on racer does not extend much past the head,  rat snake much farther.  Both good snakes to have,  but the racer will bite you if handled,  rats snakes much more mildly tempered.  .
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    I chased one on HS, X cross country path for about 1/2 mile. Those suckers are fast ! Then for no reason, he stopped, turned, reared up, spat at me and started chasing me. I never ran so fast ! Finally we both stopped, only he didn't need to check his shorts ! :D
    It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    I beg your pardon. A black rat snake will surely bite you if you grab it too far back. Wife been bit several times. Teeth are very fragile and usually break off.
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    You will be surprised if you see him inside your house.
    How do I know that.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,005 ******
    It's a black rat snake, and it eats mostly warm-blooded prey.

The black racer is similar in appearance, but it mostly eats other snakes, lizards, frogs, etc.