In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Captain Bobbie Brown-MOH

4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Recently I read a topic here on GBGD regards contact with Medal of Honor recipient and did not wish to hi-jack thread. This is my story about Captain Bobbie Brown.

In the mid 60's I was Westy's driver at the Point and had to go to Camp Buckner one night to listen to a talk by Captain Bobbie Brown. As I recall a Full Bird (Buckner CO) introduced Bobbie. There were a few hundred second year cadets ( I think they call them cows and plebes go thru beast barracks) Well Bobbie started to talk and I soon realized that this man was no ordinary man. He was a poor Georgia boy who lied about his age and joined the Army at 15. He only had six years of schooling and by the time WW2 started he was a Platoon Sgt. His CO was KIA and a General Officer battlefield commissioned him a Captain. It occurred to me that Bobby was picked for that talk for a reason. He was not a bragger nor did he come to toot his horn. There was so much detail to his talk that you felt like you were there with him on the battlefield. He was on a mission, We already had SF in Laos and it was a wake up call for the Cadets as Vietnam was on the Horizon. When Bobbie was finished with his speech there was dead silence for an eternity, you could cut the air with a bayonet. Then a cadet started to clap and the others started and stomping their feet and it became a roar. I truly thought the building was going to fall down. It was such an honor to meet Bobbie and be in his presence that night.  I believe that was the night "Duty, Honor,Country" became crystal clear to me.

After the other post here on GD I looked up Bobbie and found out because he only had six years of schooling he was only able to get a job in the Cadet Mess Hall as a waiter.  In those days and even now I think you get points to get a job in the mess if you were prior service. He later became a janitor and then a supervisor of custodians. You would never know he only had six years of schooling. Never judge a book by its cover. In 1971 because of pain from his wounds and ill health he shot himself in Highland Falls a Village outside West Point.

I would be very grateful if someone could post a link to his Citation and a little of his life. The net has much on him.----------------------------------Ray

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Citation:

He commanded Company C, 18th Infantry Regiment, on October 8, 1944, when it, with the Ranger Platoon of the 1st Battalion, attacked Crucifix Hill, a key point in the enemy's defense of Aachen, Germany. As the leading rifle platoon assaulted the first of many pillboxes studding the rising ground, heavy fire from a flanking emplacement raked it. An intense artillery barrage fell on the American troops which had been pinned down in an exposed position. Seeing that the pillboxes must be neutralized to prevent the slaughter of his men, Capt. Brown obtained a pole charge and started forward alone toward the first pillbox, about 100 yards away. Hugging the ground while enemy bullets whipped around him, he crawled and then ran toward the aperture of the fortification, rammed his explosive inside and jumped back as the pillbox and its occupants were blown up. He rejoined the assault platoon, secured another pole charge, and led the way toward the next pillbox under continuous artillery mortar, automatic, and small-arms fire. He again ran forward and placed his charge in the enemy fortification, knocking it out. He then found that fire from a third pillbox was pinning down his company; so he returned to his men, secured another charge, and began to creep and crawl toward the hostile emplacement. With heroic bravery he disregarded opposing fire and worked ahead in the face of bullets streaming from the pillbox. Finally reaching his objective, he stood up and inserted his explosive, silencing the enemy. He was wounded by a mortar shell but refused medical attention and, despite heavy hostile fire, moved swiftly among his troops exhorting and instructing them in subduing powerful opposition. Later, realizing the need for information of enemy activity beyond the hill, Capt. Brown went out alone to reconnoiter. He observed possible routes of enemy approach and several times deliberately drew enemy fire to locate gun emplacements. Twice more, on this self-imposed mission, he was wounded; but he succeeded in securing information which led to the destruction of several enemy guns and enabled his company to throw back 2 powerful counterattacks with heavy losses. Only when Company C's position was completely secure did he permit treatment of his 3 wounds. By his indomitable courage, fearless leadership, and outstanding skill as a soldier, Capt. Brown contributed in great measure to the taking of Crucifix Hill, a vital link in the American line encircling Aachen

RLTW

• Options
    Sam06, thank you so much. Others please feel free to jump in with links to his record and life.
  • Options
    From Wikipedia: Qualified expert on every weapon Army had. Scored 38 victories in boxing ring. Made all Army team for football in 1927. Offered scholarships from three universities until found out lacking in education. 1st Sgt. in Hq's Co. of Pattons's 2nd Armored Div. Fought across N. Africa and received Battfield promotion to 2nd Lt.  Transferred to 1st Inf Div. Led platoon of C Co. up Omaha Beach on D-day. In addition to MOH, 2 Silver Stars, Bronze Star w/V. Purple Heart 8 times. Two years after war in/out hospital to repair damage from 13 war wounds. Buried in Arlington National Cemetery.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,000 ******
    Great post, thanks @4205raymond .   
  • Options
    edited July 2020
  • Options
  • Options
    edited July 2020
    Joe, thanks so much for the links. I will tell you this and hope it does not detract from Bobbie because he is the real Hero here.

My uncles youngest son was a Tanker in Desert Storm. All probably saw the film of the Iraqi troops on the highways in a daze after the Storm all bandaged up with their hands over their heads, many also burned severely, the burning tanks and oil fields. They lost over 100,000 troops. You can't inflict that kind of damage without it affecting you.

War is hell but it is worse than hell when you are on the wrong side of Armor. Many of our troops came home and fought another war trying to fit back into society. My uncles son came home after the Storm and his mom and sister died from cancer and wife had cheated on him while he was over there. Also custody and a child were factors. He got divorced and had a girl friend. Took a shower one day and was suppose to go to a movie in 20 minutes with his girlfriend. The PTSD and circumstances were too much for him, He ended it with a shotgun. State Police called for a chopper but it was too late.

Several times I have crossed the Hudson to Montrose and Castle Point and have only used the VA for hearing aids. I listened to a guy with PTSD one day and it is heart breaking. I will never use the VA again. There are so many that deserve the benefits more than me.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

A crisp Salute to all who Served.

All gave some. Some gave all.