In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

45 year old Scotch $11,500

austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 2020 in General Discussion

Somebody wanna start a go fund me for this 😂😂

Comments

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,197 ✭✭✭✭
    It will be a cold day in hades before I pay that much for something that's going to wind up in the septic tank. :o
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Stupid before you get drunk if someone pays that.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Does it come with a dancing girl?
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭
    $11,000 dollars for 45 year old whiskey, you can get if fresh out of the still for about $25..........
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭✭
    Not interested unless it comes in a six pack. Gotta share with my homeys ya know. Bob
  • Options
    mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭✭
    funny if it slipped out of your paper bag on way out after paying
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    With 172 stores, Total Wine is the largest privately owner, independent liquor outlet in the country.  It is owned by the wealthy  Trone brothers, David & Robert; David is a Member of Congress, (6th District MD).  They could afford to give away a case of Dalmore if they wanted to.
    Neal
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Just depends what you want/ like. Me, no but hey if you can and want to , yes sir I will deliver that to you.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    Personally I think scotch sucks, it seems to be an acquired taste I never acquired.  But I honestly don't think anyone has such a refined palate that they can tell the difference between, for instance, a very good 200-250 dollar bottle of scotch and that 11,500 dollar bottle of scotch.  My opinion is that is "Look at how much money I have!!"  "I can pay 11,500 dollars for 1 bottle of scotch!!"  I could, of course, be wrong since I am often wrong, at least according to my wife!!    :D  
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    dreher said:
    Personally I think scotch sucks, it seems to be an acquired taste I never acquired.  But I honestly don't think anyone has such a refined palate that they can tell the difference between, for instance, a very good 200-250 dollar bottle of scotch and that 11,500 dollar bottle of scotch.  My opinion is that is "Look at how much money I have!!"  "I can pay 11,500 dollars for 1 bottle of scotch!!"  I could, of course, be wrong since I am often wrong, at least according to my wife!!    :D  
    Opinions vary, certainly without  a doubt. ;)
    I actually found beer to be more of an acquired taste than the finer single malt scotches. Blended scotch on the other hand usually has a distinctive flavor of Iodine when limited to the more affordable brands.

The price of Special Release Scotch is dependent on how rare it is, the number of bottles from any date and cask. Remember, like any alcohol product, this stuff evaporates every minute it rests in those wood casks, so the volume is reduced every year. It is not dependent on the flavor at all since virtually none of it was tasted because it is so highly evaluated. This follows closely with rare wines which often command significantly higher prices than this scotch. Wine connoisseurs aren't criticized when paying 10's of thousands of dollars for a product which has a high potential for being vinegar!

And yes, some of us can taste the difference between vintages of single malt scotch just like bourbon and whiskey drinkers can because they are distinctive in flavor and alcohol content. Single Malt Scotch is unique because there is such a variance in flavors due to the water used and the location of the distiller.
    There are five Scotch Whisky regions - Campbeltown, Highland, Islay, Lowland and Speyside. Each offers a different perspective on Scotch Whisky. The most densely populated Whisky region in the world, famous for fertile glens and, of course, the River Spey.
    Often the biggest flavor discriminators are; smoke, peat, the type of wood in the cask and the previous alcohol held in the second use casks, many times sherry casks.

Anyway, it's fun when tasting various single malts when in controlled amounts. Several friends get together once a year to do some tasting and story telling which is an amazingly great time!

Best.

• Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    I was offered a 50yr old glenlivet for my showcase, but I passed.  My cost was $25k :o
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

I enjoy a good scotch, and if I had the money to burn, I would be tempted. For now, I will stick to the more affordable Dalmore.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,987 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020

Oh Aye, You may very well be right. And since I cannot afford this I wish someone else would buy a bottle and pour me a wee dram.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't look at me, I like 10-year Laphroaig.
    You know, the one they advertise as "Tastes like a burning hospital"???

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    susie said:

I enjoy a good scotch, and if I had the money to burn, I would be tempted. For now, I will stick to the more affordable Dalmore.

Amen! I truly enjoy younger Dalmore. Or Balvenie...
    Best.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    I have become partial to Glendronach over the past couple of years.  Just ordered a couple bottles of their Parliament (21 years), but also enjoy their 18 year Allardice.  Glenmorangie also has some nice offerings in the 14 - 21 year range.

Most I've ever spent was just north of $ 1,000.00 for a bottle of Glendronach Grandeur 24 year, which included having it shipped to the US from Scotland.  Will probably not spend that much again, but it was while we were in Scotland for golf vacation, and sort of got caught up in the moment.  Interestingly, began to enjoy Monkey Shoulder (about 2% of the price), which is a very smooth blended whiskey at the same tasting.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    gesshotsgesshots Member Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Is it available by the case ?  :DB)

It's being willing. I found out early that most men, regardless of cause or need, aren't willing. They blink an eye or draw a breath before they pull the trigger. I won't. ~ J.B. Books