In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need help from smart AR people with a part question

Buickman58Buickman58 Member Posts: 5
Hello all, 
I have been playing around with an AR project and have a large knowledge gap on something I want to do on it. Doing an AR 22 Ciener conversion to have a more usable gun in multiple situations. The Ciener type conversion uses blow back to fire the 22 LR round and does not use the buffer tube that is needed for the 5.56 round. Is there someone that makes a straight block off type plate for the end of the reciever? That would allow the shooter to have a 22 type pistol that would not have the buffer tube in place, and with little work return it to a rifle if wanted. I am sure I could make one up fairly easily but wanted to see if they are around.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited August 2020
    Hmm. I suppose that it would be a cap with the front end of a buffer fixed in place. You would remove the normal receiver extension (buffer tube), screw the cap into place and then install the Ciener kit. I don't know of such a device, but I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. Keep in mind that since you cannot legally turn a rifle into a pistol, you'd have to maintain a 16" barrel and an OAL of 26".

I have a couple of Ciener kits and I find your concept interesting. 
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    Make sure the receiver you are using was not originally a rifle. Can't make it a pistol if it was. If it was just a stripped receiver or a pistol then you can make it a rifle after you use as a pistol.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited August 2020
    For those not familiar with these .22 conversions, they drop into the upper receiver by replacing the standard bolt.

My photo, my rifle, and not lifted off the net.
  • Options
    Looks like an afternoon of tinkering........
    One idea that comes to mind is a device similar to a STEN gun. Push in the rear "button" and twist and the block off plate could be removed quicker without tools. 
  • Options
    Looks like an afternoon of tinkering........

I need fewer projects...or a bigger work bench.

I like your concept. These .22 kits are based on the old Atchisson design from the 1970's, so it seems hard to believe that no one has thought of this before. But there is a first time for everything. If you come up with a workable design and market them, put them up for sale on Gun Broker. I'll buy one.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all, 
    I have been playing around with an AR project and have a large knowledge gap on something I want to do on it. Doing an AR 22 Ciener conversion to have a more usable gun in multiple situations. The Ciener type conversion uses blow back to fire the 22 LR round and does not use the buffer tube that is needed for the 5.56 round. Is there someone that makes a straight block off type plate for the end of the reciever? That would allow the shooter to have a 22 type pistol that would not have the buffer tube in place, and with little work return it to a rifle if wanted. I am sure I could make one up fairly easily but wanted to see if they are around.
    Knowledge gap filler:
    Actually your assumption about the .22 conversion not needing the buffer tube and spring is incorrect.
    No matter which buffer tube and spring combination you have, it is necessary to put pressure on the back of the .22 LR conversion in order for it to run correctly and consistently.

Best.

• Options
    This has been fun, but just when I started to shop for a new car for my wife with the millions from my idea.......
    I found it on Cheaper than dirt. It is called ACE AR15 receiver block stock adapter for 22 conversions. For $29.99, I have mine coming! For the conversion kit, you would not need pressure on the back as the top of the kit is against the lower. I do think over time it would be hard on it as the bottom would jar each shot. 
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

The pistol concept is like that Oly 88/93 but in .22LR. Also if you plate the back you won't have a "more usable gun in multiple situations". I thought about this situation for my AR Pistol but the gas piston and lopping off the BCG seemed much to get rid of the "Black Corndog". It would be different for you since yours will be a .22LR with Ciener adapter.

Did CMMG's conversion copy Ciener?

With the screw on cap get a end plate with a hole for a clip on sling.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't see any advantage to changing out a handful of parts in order to use a 22 conversion.  The possibility of losing the parts required for the center fire option would be disastrous. If you're assembling a dedicated 22lr "pistol" it's certainly an option.
  • Options
    Got the parts and love the conversion! Very good to shoot, and feels better in the hand. For me a great functioning peice.