In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Please Critique My Auction Write-Up

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,362 ***** Forums Admin
I will be listing this pistol for sale soon: https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/1892284/hi-standard-experts#latest

Please critique my auction write-up. Any comments or input appreciated. I may get the pistol listed today, or else I will wait until next Sunday. I think I will run a 14 day auction.

Write-up: 

Up for your consideration is a Hi-Standard Model 102 Supermatic Citation S/N 805494 This pistol has a 6-3/4” original barrel, and 4-1/2” newer manufacture barrel. The bores of both barrels are nice and shiny, with sharp rifling, but I was unable to get a nice picture if the inside of the bores. Other than that, I have no idea how many rounds this pistol has fired. The pistol comes with the box and accessories pictured. I don’t know if the cleaning rod came originally with the pistol, but it was in the box so it will ship with it. If it is not in the pictures, I do not have it.

The previous owner cut a hole in the end of the box so it could be stored with the stabilizer installed, which is how it came to me. The shorter barrel measures 4-1/2 inches overall and is of newer manufacture, so did not originally come as a set with the pistol. The walnut grip panels are also not original to the pistol. The walnut panels are from a Supermatic Trophy and are of newer manufacture than the pistol.

This pistol was brought to the attention of and reviewed by nationally recognized Hi-Standard expert John J Stimson. Here is what he had to say about it:

“805,494 shipped as a catalog number 9260 to account number 9395 on invoice number 28339. The date is open but the surrounding guns were shipping in late March 1958 and April 1958.

The box is for  previous 100 and 101 design series  guns as evidenced by being two short and having the "accessory" box.  Someone has put a hole in the box so that the gun can be in the box with the stabilizer installed.

This is an interesting assemblage of parts.  

The grips are not original to the gun not were they optionally available at the time of shipment.  The early guns had small eagle logo inserts in the grips and only the Supermatic Trophy had the walnut grips.  These are the large eagle grips.

The short barrel is not original to the gun as it is from some time later.  It is the short barrel from the Supermatic Tournament model.  The early 102 series pistols did not have the barrel retaining stud retained by a cross pin. the 6.75" barrel is not pinned and the 4.50" barrel is pinned.  There are very very few two barrel sets and very very very few special orders.”  

This pistol seems to be in great overall shape, with a few demerits. One, the non-original grip panels. Two, the muzzle of the 6-3/4” barrel has discolored bluing and some scratches. In fact, it seems to have been re-blued over the scratches(see picture#) This was not evident with the stabilizer in place, as it has been for decades. Three, as you can see by the pictures, the box has seen better days.

I am listing this pistol for an 85 year old neighbor, whose long deceased brother bought it new. Said neighbor knows nothing about the pistol, and knows very little about firearms in general. He has been in possession of the pistol since 2005.

I myself, am far from any kind of expert on these pistols. If you have any unanswered questions, let me know, and I’ll do my best to find an answer. If you don’t see what you want in the pictures let me know and I’ll get you a picture.

Payment may be by personal check, or by money order. Checks hold shipping up 10-14 days or until check clears. Not able to take credit cards. No paypal, bitcoin, or other types of funny money.

Please know your state and local firearm laws, and DO NOT bid if this firearm is not legal where you live.

50 states insured USPS shipping will be $65.00. Ships from FFL on my end to FFL on your end, so I will need a signed copy of your FFL along with your payment. 

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Very complete and concise. I'd bid if I was collecting these.

Saw your previous pictorial on this pistol. Very nice.

I believe this will do quite well. Best of luck to you Sir.

• Options
    JunkballerJunkballer Member Posts: 9,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a very honest good & bad description IMO...........I like honesty.

"Never do wrong to make a friend----or to keep one".....Robert E. Lee

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    this is a C&R (03 ffl) pistol so IF your ffl will accept one I'd mention it. I don't know what your ffl charges but shipping is a bit high, usps priority would only be about $25 w/ins.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Overall, a nice description. As you requested, a few thoughts. Not sure, but it might make sense to sell the second barrel separately since it's not original to the gun. Someone might be looking for that barrel, but not wanting the gun, and the other way around. I'd also mention if you have an inspection/return policy... GLWS....
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a very complete description.  I can't imagine what you could have left out but I'm sure somebody will find something!!  My nitpicky proof reading did spot an if rather than of in the barrel description but like I said that's me being nitpicky.  Hope you do well with this auction!! 
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭
    Spelling nitpicks:
    First paragraph of write up "picture if the inside" should be "picture of".
    Second paragraph of Stimson's comments "The box...being two short" should be "too short".
    Fourth para "The grips...not were they" should be "nor were they".
    Close quote mark needed after the end of Stimson comments as   ...seen better days."
    "...long deceased" should be long-deceased.
    "I myself, am..." no comma needed.

Overall, pretty good grammatically.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    Rocky-You remind me of my old secretary :D
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,191 ✭✭✭✭
    I hope that's a good thing! Can't help it, though; it's what I did for a long time: English Lit major, writer, editor, and self-admitted Grammar Cop.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,362 ***** Forums Admin
    Thanks so much for the input everybody! I am taking it to heart. I fixed the spelling/grammar errors. I will list the short barrel separately, as there is a forum member interested in that. The shipping price that I find is way more than MIKE Wiskey lists: Large flat rate box is $21.30, Insurance is $20.00 and change, FFL will be $20.00. May be able to save a bit on insurance, depending on what it sells for. I will check out the C&R for sure. Thanks again for the input.