In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Turtles of the Mountain

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion

I have a steep mile long driveway in the NC mountains.   The turtles like to hang out on the driveway.

There are ditches on the side of the driveway, about 10 inches deep.  These turtles love to lay around in these ditches, there is about 2 inches of rainwater there and they love to lay around in the water on hot summer days.
I am showing pictures here of 3 different turtles.

I pulled this guy out of the ditch today to get a photo of him.

This guy has suffered a terrible injury.   Yet, he has fully recovered, all legs and paws are intact and he can walk around just fine.   It is unbelievable that a turtle could recover from such an injury.

Comments

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Black magic marker.
    Draw stitches across his shell before you let him go.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    I have messed with a lot of box turtles but have never seen a box turtle with a damaged shell.  Seeing that is a first for me.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    Injuries are not uncommon, I would guess that resulted from being stuck in a plastic ring of some kind, perhaps a six pack holder.  Restricted shell growth until it broke.  Where they climb in rocky areas chips on the margins of the shell are common enough, that I have two with such damage.  In a forested area the road likely offers more sun to bask in that the wooded areas, and of course the ditch allows access to water.  They like to soak.  Find any inner tubes or blow up seahorses?
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Man that second one is sure purty. Nice and Orange.

I don't think a sixer rings did that. Seems more like an impact.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    HeDog it is not just a chip in the shell, you can see that the shell was fractured about two inches high.
    Interesting that you say caught in a plastic six pack holder.  I was thinking he might have gotten run over by a car.
    You "have" some turtles?  Do you keep some turtles in some kind of enclosure?  What kind of turtles?
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,668 ******
    I have been known to stop the car and assist them with crossing the road.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    Desert box turtles, the western species.  They are in our walled back yard.  We have produced over 500 in the past 30 years.
  • Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the pics. Always found turtles quite interesting.
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    That one has a cleft lip shell.