In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Too Heavy

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
Maybe I'm just getting old and weak, actually there's no maybe about that, but some rifles seem too heavy to me. I know a M1 weighed 9 1/2 lbs. and they were humped through sand, and mud, and snow all over the world. But by better and younger men than me. And I damn well guarantee every last mother's son of them would have loved to have had a lighter rifle. As long as it was as effective as their Garands.  
 Anyway I am looking to decide which Ar 15 to keep as a personal rifle and yesterday I broke out my LWRC piston rifle and man that thing is heavy. They are great rifles but I think it will hit the auction side in a couple of months. I have a Daniels Defense light weight and a Colt 6920 both new and unfired. Probably going to come down to one of them. The Trijicon ACOG will add a little weight. I also have a brand new Eotech XPS2-0 and that puppy is very light. 

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    I went through a similar quest a year or so ago. Was going to build a light weight carbine in 6.5 C not G. Even using the lightest weight aluminum receivers, barrels, accessories etc. Only difference was 2 lbs +. I wanted something under 8 lbs, with loaded  20 round mag, iron sights, green dot and bipod. 

No way was this going to happen. Your going to be in the same position. Unless you stick with a 5.56 X 45, with the lightest metal parts available. Even then I believe it will be at least 7 pounds. With loaded 30 round mag, irons and optic(s).
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Ricci I wanted a light weight AR too.  I built one like we had in the late 80's early 90's.  A1 upper, 16" pencil barrel, CAR lower.  I don't know how much it weighs but its light and shoots good too.
    RLTW

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭

I thought my M1A White Feather was heavy until my MATEN. Anyways I moved my mostly Daniel Defense MM4V7 (BCG, receiver and trigger group are not) yesterday and she seemed to be quite heavy. I think it's the DD barrel. I do wonder how many "ounces" the piston drive adds?

For a while there seemed to be a race to mill the crap out of ARs to get the heroin chic to cut weight. Kind a silly since they just add more gear to offset the weight loss. I think Clint Smith has one of those "anorexic" ARs. he doesn't have a scope since his eyes are better than mine.

As for "effective as their Garands" maybe you might wanna look in to Wilson Combat's 300 Hammer (or how ever they spell it).

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
     I went through my M1A stage years ago. Nice rifles but way too heavy after you scope them for anything other than the bench in my opinion. I am staying with 223 guns though I do have a nice new 6.5 Aero Precision in the safe that I have never fired.  But I'm talking about a house/car gun that I can walk short distances with should the need arise. I live in the country with some good and well prepared neighbors so not planning on "bugging out".
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    just like shotguns the older ya get the smaller the gauge
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Just moved down from a 15# Sig to a lighter 11# larger caliber. Added a muzzle brake Saturday to the 300 Winchester Mag.. and howdy it kicks like a .243.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    Yea, I know. I just sold on here my "sniper" target Sig 556 . What a piece of machinery but it weighed 12 lbs!. She brought good money and a nice home. I got of those those Brownells retros and it's like light compared.
  • Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    Sam, I have a Colt Car 15 also & it's a good shooter. However, I also like my M1 30 Carbines. AL
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

I would l not have trade the M-1 or M-14 for the alternative, but that was when I was young.

What's next?
  • mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    You can always build an AR "pistol" with a brace and a 12" upper.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    The WWII veterans that I have been acquainted with over the years were in the 120-140 lb. range. I I can’t imagine what it was like to carry an M1 into battle with them. I guess when the enemy was shooting at you the weight and recoil wasn’t even noticeable.
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    Have a Bushmaster CARbon-15.  Carbon fiber receiver.  Weighs less than the dust in the air around it!  :pensive:
    On the other hand, I have a simple little .22 bolt action- a Mossberg 144 LSB.  With the scope, runs about 11 pounds.  Incredibly accurate, but I would not want to carry that for a day's squirrel hunting.  

I have noticed in recent years that the force of gravity has been increasing, and hills have become much steeper than they used to be.  Must be erosion.  
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

The difficult part to get use to for me was the bulky feel of the stock on the M-1 and M-14. When the M-14 synthetic stock was introduced this was not a problem any longer. You have to realize that the Marines that were trained with thes rifles could doubletime in step for three miles, covered and aligned, 40 inches back to chest, with typical combat gear, steel pot, field jackets, cartridge belts, etc. and be ready to engage in combat, be it close or otherwise, upon arrival. some unit NCO's CO's might stretch that to five miles. The weight of the rifle did not weigh heavy on the mind.

What's next?
  • Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
    I slapped a 204 Ruger together on a AR platform...12.5#...but an awesome shooter!
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was shooting competitive small bore rifle the 15 pound Anschutz 1413 was a toy on my hands.  I was a very stout and strong feller, then.  Now lugging one the 40 yards from the house to the shooting bench seems a chore.  Ah, the things today's youngins' have to look forward to as they age...
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Yup, I've been doing the same things.  Going through the ARs and the shotguns looking for the LIGHT ones.  Since I think we are all concerned where our country is going and are we going to need to actually use our weapons to defend ourselves, I will admit I have been wondering if I need to be so concerned about weight.   If things start going "bump in the night" I have already thought, that at that point, I might not notice a few extra pounds.
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

"I live in the country with some good and well prepared neighbors so not planning on "bugging out".

I heard you Ricci. Same here. I have everything I've accumulated and need here. Why would I leave?

Terrain, supplies, well prepared neighbors, all in our favor. People who plan on "bugging out," are in for a rude surprise. IMHO.

• yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    The last two rifles are heavy and I don't know how my right shoulder is gonna take "push"? Being that they're heavy it might really soften the blow? That reminds me I still need to get a scale to see how heavy the two are.