In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ever sell item as "not to be fired" even though they don't appear to have problems as a precaution

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,683 ✭✭✭✭
Sometimes things are just old.....a bit rickety....and not sturdy enough to trust to be fired.   When we run into this we just list it as a display piece just as a measure of safety.    The buyers that purchase these things aren't typically buying them because they can't wait to take it to the range.      It doesn't typically affect the price that it sells for either.    Someone keeps asking about firing this one......but I'm not going further than what the auction states in my response.    WHY would anyone want to shoot some of these things is something I'll never understand.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/874918126
LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments

• Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭✭
    Just tell them the bore is a little bit "frosted" and the best thing to do is to bore it out to .357 Magnum and then fire it in that caliber.
    :D

• Options
    Just tell them the bore is a little bit "frosted" and the best thing to do is to bore it out to .357 Magnum and then fire it in that caliber.
    :D

Ha ha ha.....I've used "frosted" in a few of my descriptions.   Its great for not so perfect, but not horribly pitted beyond use.    If you mention anything other than perfect for a bore people imagine pot holes in Russia.
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Mark it as a "Throw Down".
  • Options
    Some idiot would probably use it for that and name me as the "brains" behind their crime spree in court. :open_mouth:
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    Some idiot would probably use it for that and name me as the "brains" behind their crime spree in court. :open_mouth:
    Let's no to get carried away, the "brains", rotflmao,,, greeeeeeeeeeen font.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like the caveat, "Have a qualified gunsmith check it out, etc......"
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Got hooked on Ivers some years ago- interesting little guns.  While the one you posted appears to be in good shape, I would consider that as an early model built for use with black powder cartridges.  2 reasons I say that.  First is the owl on the grips- canted to the front.  They changed to canted to the rear when they changed over to smokeless- but grips get replaced.    The second is the shape of the notches for the cylinder lock.  Notice they are a smooth bottomed scallop, with no notch for the lock to drop in to?  They changed that with smokeless.  Two other telling points- the 1st model had a single post for the latch holding the action closed. That changed to a double on the 2nd model (still BP) and stayed double post on smokeless.   The other point requires removing one grip, and looking at the hammer spring.  Leaf spring= black powder.  Coil spring= smokeless. 

Now, having said that- with .32 S&W, it probably does not matter.  .32 S&W is loaded so light that there is no major difference between BP and smokeless.  .38 S&W- BIG difference between BP and smokeless.  As far as your customer, my answer would likely be "We consider these to be collector's items, and not shooters due to their age.  ANY gun should be checked by a competent gunsmith before firing." and let it go at that. 
    Nice looking revolver.  Good luck with your auction.   
    PS- just caught your photo showing patent dates.  Those are the dates for a Second Model, Change 2.   Black powder.    
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks chme. I've wondered about my 38. Owl looking down, cyl lock notch, dbl post & an added date of 9-6-04 so I'm guessing smokeless.
  • Options
    Mark GMark G Member Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭
    Notes: This is a Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works, Top Break revolver chambered in 32 S&W. The barrel is 3 inches long. It has a good clean bore and good rifling. It has a blue finish with normal wear on the sharp edges. The action cycles correctly in DA and SA and the timing is good. The barrel hinge is tight. The grip panels do not match with the left having a few missing chips visible cracks. This is being sold as a display revolver and should not be fired. This can ship to your C&R where legal. Check out the pictures and you will see this is a great find!

Nothing here makes me nervous about shooting it.

We consider these to be collector's items, and not shooters due to their age.  ANY gun should be checked by a competent gunsmith before firing."

This is a perfect caveat for this pistol as well as adding something about "Black Powder Only".

I have shot many "old" firearms over the years. Many over 100 years old. Check it over, low power charges and go. Work from there.