In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mosin-Nagant Crown Damage?

GavinGavin Member Posts: 6

I was wondering if my Mosin has crown damage. Here are some images:

I know they are not the clearest images, but is there any general tips to identify minor crown wear or damage? Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Very common with M-N's. The Russian soldiers, commonly used steel cleaning rods. Cleaning from the muzzle, not the breech.  I wouldn't worry about it, unless  in shooting, it won't stay into 5" at 100. If it's that bad, counter bore the muzzle 2" , (with a reamer), to get rid of the mangled rifling at the muzzle. This is what the Russians commonly did, to fix the problem,
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    Looks pretty rusted/pitted in there, but like rufe says, go shoot it. There's some awful looking sewer pipes out there that shoot ok. 
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭✭
    I see cleaning rod-caused muzzle wear on a lot of old Winchester lever guns. The impact on accuracy varies a lot from gun to gun and of course on the degree and type of wear. In general, lead bullets seem to be effected more than jacketed. If your gun is just a shooter, a short back-boring would probably eliminate the problem.