In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Prepper Portions -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion

Anyone seeing this? Walked in the door of Food Lion. 50lb. bags of ground Buckwheat, on a pallet. (Never seen this before.)

Have been seeing and buying, 60 oz. Cans of Heinz Chicken Noodle soup. Reg. $4.99, BOGO. $2.49.

I have about 8-10 now. Etc. Etc. Lots of things being wiped out again. Canned goods etc. Anyone else seeing this?

My pantrys are pretty much overflowing. I am fully stocked. You?

Comments

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

See my Sig line.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I like Buckwheat!! Here he is now!!

• Options
    diver-rigdiver-rig Member Posts: 6,342 ✭✭✭✭

My pantry is pretty sparse right now. Just starting to fill it up again.

But the garden is just starting to come in.

Two pressure canners that can hold combined, 51 pints or 26 quarts. Wife unit and I will run both of them at the same time, all day on sundays, and 1 batch in each one during the week at night. Veggies, chicken, soups/stock, venison.

Also have a commercial type dehydrator we do jerky, fruit, and a lot of herbs in.

Love my wife’s cooking with stuff we grew and processed ourselves!

But those are some cheap, huge cans of stuff!

• Options
    edited August 2020

I thought so too, Diver-rig. I have grabbed 2-4 each time I have been in, last 3 times. Stashed in the upstairs SHTF room. Which is already stocked up.

$2.49 for 60oz. Of Chicken Noodle Soup? I will grab a couple every time I am in. Too much fo me alone when opened, but my Son and his G-friend have talked about coming in, when things get ugly.

What Would I do with 50lbs of ground Buckwheat Flower? Educate me.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    My wife is a cupon'er.  We still have not had to buy any toilet paper.

Do you have a Generator?  How about Gas/propane? 

Dog food?
    RLTW

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    That is very interesting.   A 50 pound bag of buckwheat flour for sale in the Food Lion.   I have never seen such bulk supplies available in a grocery store.
    However, this is not good for long term storage.  Ground flour, I doubt would keep for over a year.
    https://pleasanthillgrain.com/buy-buckwheat-for-sale-bucket-11026
    You want the five gallon bucket of the intact grain, called "groats."     Now this bucket is expensive as it is organic.
    But they say it has a shelf life of ten years.   The buckets of wheat and corn, and beans last much longer than that, more like 25 years.   Plus the other grains are much cheaper.
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Have a 4+month food supply a year-round stream and water purifier.

500 gallon propane tank provides back up heat to the house and fires the range and grill.

Man cave has 100 gallon water tank, walls that have been lined with a sandwich constructed with an outer shell of 3/8" AR Plate backed by 1/2" thick ballistic kevlar panels bolted to a piece of 3/8" A-36 steel with an inner surface of 1/4" ballistic nylon mesh to which is bonded a beautiful cherry veneer with a hand waxed finish that really brings out the grain and texture of wood.  It is amazing how quality paneling can brighten a space.

Inside the cave is everything necessary to hole up for upwards of 2 weeks without leaving the space.  This includes a number of impact initiated cold packs, 7 or 8 cases of beer on constant rotation, a couple of cases of Scotch, and, of course the Swissmar Fondue pot with 25 lbs. of dry aged Velveeta and an ample supply of freeze-dried broccoli and (my personal favorite) freeze-dried cauliflower.  

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    A neighbor butchered a couple hogs the other day and they do not eat the guts.  Just throw them out.
    Straight from the hog to my ice chest.  MMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!
    I have had liver and heart every night for a week.  The wife won't touch them; but she loves chicken livers.
    Today, as I was heading out for town she asked me to pick up her some chicken livers.

There are none!  No gizzards either.  I checked several stores.  Where are they?
    Covid? 
    Are you guys hording them?

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Put the buck wheat in jars then place in the freezer.   
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

I got the most.

• Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    did you happen to notice a country of origin on that buckwheat.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    bustedknee - Love to try my hand at Liverworst or the other one Brungenworst? Or Livermush and Scrapple.
  • Options

No, i gave it a cursory glance out of curiosity. I know I had no use for it. I believe it was more than likely Dark Wheat, not Buckwheat. I misspoke. I did not even notice or look for the price.

I was just kind of surprised to see a pallet of it near the entrance. I have noticed last several weeks that things are starting to get thinned out again.

• Options

Called Food Lion out of curiosity.

25lbs. Of Dark Wheat Flour from Houston, TX. for $10.99.

May have to grab one and learn to bake bread etc.

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

Called Food Lion out of curiosity.

25lbs. Of Dark Wheat Flour from Houston, TX. for $10.99.

May have to grab one and learn to bake bread etc.

While you had them on the phone, why didn't you ask about the Great Chicken Liver Shortage of 2020?
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"