In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

20 gauge Boar Load range report

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭

Not a ton to report really. It performed exactly as I was hoping. Shot #1 was at 25 yards (right of bullseye) and shot #2 was at 30 yards (above bullseye). The two .58 balls group together very well out to that range!

Jon

Comments

• Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,010 ******
    edited August 2020
    Like it!!! 
    Love the sling.  You make it? 
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭

Fun With Para-Cord. That's been a bit.

As for the "boar load" I imagine that'll just piss them off.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    That is pretty accurate for a shotgun.    What a devastating load that is!
    I have killed lots of deer and hogs with a muzzleloader, a .490 round ball at about 1,200 fps.   One shot to the lungs and they didn't get far.
    With two, .58 caliber round balls at that same muzzle velocity, there are few animals in North America that could withstand a lung shot.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
    I thought a .54 caliber was equal to 20 gauge?? I have reloaded 50 cal balls in 28 gauge hull, and 54 maxiball in 20 gauge hulls, shot ok , and accurate enough to 20-30 yards you could kill deer if needed much farther  than that and you would be guessing on accuracy and no idea of speed/force of impact, and if enough for humane kill...
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
     That'd make a gremlin poop his pants.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Can you screw a rifled choke on that gun?? If so you might want to try Hornady Sabot slugs. They might shoot tighter than that.
  • Options
    Like it!!! 
    Love the sling.  You make it? 
    Thanks sir!
    I did not. I bought it from a really nice elder fella at a gun show, a few years back. My only regret is that I didn't buy a couple more. He told me he made a couple of them/night while watching TV with the better half.
    Jon

• Options
    hillbille said:
    I thought a .54 caliber was equal to 20 gauge?? I have reloaded 50 cal balls in 28 gauge hull, and 54 maxiball in 20 gauge hulls, shot ok , and accurate enough to 20-30 yards you could kill deer if needed much farther  than that and you would be guessing on accuracy and no idea of speed/force of impact, and if enough for humane kill...
    I had to look it up, as I wasn't sure, but it's equivalent to .615.

Jon
  • Options
    Can you screw a rifled choke on that gun?? If so you might want to try Hornady Sabot slugs. They might shoot tighter than that.
    I wasn't really shooting for groups. I definitely pulled the 1st shot a bit, which is the 2 holes to the right of center. If I get some time, I'll load it up (6+1) and shoot those 7 rounds at 25 yards, as careful as possible. I will do it in the standing position. If all 14 holes end up on target, I'll be a happy camper.

Jon
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,239 ✭✭✭✭
    hillbille said:
    Yes, if you went out to 50 yards, accuracy would go bye bye with a smoothbore.
    But I have hit a deer in the lungs with a .490 round ball at 80 yards and he didn't make 20 yards, this from  a TC Hawken.
    I would say that after 100 yards the round ball would not be humane for a shot on big game.

However, he posted this report on .58 round balls in a 20 gauge in response to a thread in which I was asking about 20 gauge buckshot, the idea being for household defense.   I would say, based on this report, that round balls in the 20 gauge would be great for household defense and better than the little bitty 20 gauge buckshot that is available.
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,177 ✭✭✭✭
    hillbille said:
    I had to look it up, as I wasn't sure, but it's equivalent to .615.

Jon
    I reloaded mine in the wads then in the hull, and they were pretty tight, would guess yours don't have a wad just the two roundballs in the hull itself, and maybe a patch of some type, either way at across the room distances they would definately put the hurt on someone.