In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Community Immunity is working, follow the money

Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭
The progress of the magical Covid is interesting.
https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

If we look closely at the daily infections and deaths of the hardest hit states (NY, NJ, MA, etc.) we see that they are well over the hump and are experiencing a much lower rate of transmission now than they were 3 months ago.  This is occurring while much of the nation is seeing a growth in transmission rates and deaths.

Two interesting points:

1. Why are NY, NJ, MA, etc. seeing a much lower increase in transmission and deaths during this resurgence of the virus?  Nothing has changed significantly in protections from infection. These states were on lock down in April and May during their surge, and the infection rates were extremely high.  One possible (and highly probable) reason is that a large segment of their populations have been infected, are significantly immune, and are serving to resist transmission to those who have not been infected.

2. Why are the infection rates across the country in the new surge lower than that experienced in the previously hardest hit states?  Most likely the same reason.  While much of the country did not experience the severe problems of the northeastern states, the virus existed in these states and people were being infected and recovering.  Very likely that we are seeing the defensive bulwark of community immunity working here as well, even with the 'horrible' videos we have seen of large gatherings which we are being told are irresponsible and selfish.  

There is a large media push to contain the virus.  To wear a mask, limit activities, keep schools closed, etc.  In the face of the data, however, it appears that states where the magical Covid ran wild, the population is resisting this resurgence even though their activities are similar to that of the populations in other states.   May I suggest that we look at this, and consider how much better off we will be when all states reach this condition.  This condition is not created by trillions of dollars being spent keeping people sequestered.  It is created by people interacting and engaging in commerce.

So, pull you head out of your mask, and get on with protecting not only your economy, but the health of your fellow American.  Spread the cure.  It comes with the virus.
Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele

Comments

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting but have those states fully opened like the South? Our libraries, nail salons etc are all open. I was not aware that to be the case in NY, NY Etc?
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    According to the local lefty npr affiliate here in California they sure love to count how many came down and died in the county but never how many got well. Folks that "died" are in the low 300 or was that how many folks got it? Either case there are lots more folks in the county that ain't sick has to play the lock down and face mask game. Sure would make more sense to lock the sick folks up. Also I don't think letting loose the inmates in fear of a wrongful death suits are dumb.
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    That number can't be right for Calif (300) hell SC attributes over 1K deaths to Corona
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    A little factoid missing in the upswing in the Calif "second wave", is the majority of new cases are undocumented democrats.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Two ways to stop spread of the virus, get it and get over it or our bodies will develop a immunity to it naturally, just like the seasonal flu. Oh and of course the third and worst way is to actually die from the virus, not just covid ralated.
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,786 ✭✭✭✭
    Mogley, I don't believe any of the statistics coming from any government agency and I really don't believe anything our wonderful Gov Henry Mctaxter is saying.  
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,475 ✭✭✭✭
    mogley98 said:
    Interesting but have those states fully opened like the South? Our libraries, nail salons etc are all open. I was not aware that to be the case in NY, NY Etc?
    It looks like salons and libraries opened in mid-July in New York, but with modified service.

I also looks like New Jersey started re-opening, again with modified service, towards the end of June.  

From what I have seen, there are very few areas where retail or hospitality companies are operating in the same manner as they were 6 months ago.  Limited seating in restaurants, plexiglass everywhere, mask requests or requirements at most retail outlets, etc.  Outdoor recreation seems to be getting back to closer to normal than most things, although at my golf club, we are losing some of the GPS screens in the carts, and the culprit seems to be guests wiping them down with Lysol wipes which they think is damaging the touchscreens.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele