In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

International Harvester.....

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
.......1100 four door pickup.  I seen one this morning.   You don't see many of these anymore.  This one was in decent shape.   Mid 60's model but I'm not sure of the exact year.

Comments

• Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,637 ✭✭✭✭
    Those old Corn binders were built like a tank!  IIRC a 2 door IH pick up was the first vehicle I ever drove.  
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a 1965 scout truck 2door.  It had a 4 banger that was a like 1/2 a V8.

Great vehicle but man they rusted bad.  I think that is why you don't too many around anymore.

Mine was like this but not as nice:
    1965 International Scout  Motorcar Studio

RLTW

• Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,649 ******
    Granny low. You could put it in gear, let the clutch out, get out and walk beside it.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I think I had a total of six scout II's and one travel All. They were great trucks but Sam is right, you could hear them rusting on a quiet night.
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Everyone I knew that had them drove them through creeks filling the floorboards and my boots with water, so it seemed to me they came by the rust pretty honestly.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Had a nice Scout II. Man do I miss that thing. Yes it eventually had the obligatory rust around the rear wheel wells and the inside where the spare tire mounted was 80% Duct tape. 😮

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,744 ✭✭✭✭
    Man, you brought up old farm days. Those 1/2 tons trucks rode like a log wagon on a pot hole filled rode.  :| But it was a good farm truck for what it was.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭

Growing up on the farm a 69 International and 62 Studebaker pickup was what I learned to drive

• Options
    silverado224silverado224 Member Posts: 79 ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    My first vehicle was a 1949 IH pickup.   I was 15 and now free to roam!  Top speed of 45, either loaded with stolen gravel or empty!! Wish I had it back!
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a 72 Scout.  Great vehicle but a real rust bucket :(
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Can I play? Mine isn’t an IH but it’s similar. And made from aluminum - magnesium alloy it won’t rust! But it will burn....

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    I think one of the car shows on youtube I'm watching is fixing up a "Johnny Reb" on Wrench Everyday.
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    I've never seen one of them 4 dr 1100's corn binders.
    If you want to see a tank, look at the old Dodge power wagons. I drove one in some serious mountain roads for few years. It had a big PTO winch on front. I winched out a 18 wheeler that was stuck in mud up to it's axles, had the back of the Power Wagon tied to a big tree as a dead man and the old power wagon was floating in the air as the cable tightened. Dangerous stuff if a cable snapped. Top speed about maybe 40, lot of gear noise. 6 cylinder
    Here is a link to some pic's of them 1100's. I've got a 1977 IH Scout II, 4x4, 4 lo, 4 Hi and 2 wheel drive with positrac standard, 4 speed xmission with granny gear, 304 V8, 70K miles, Power Steering, Power Brakes, AC, winch on front, single cab hard top that was a full rag top when I first acquired. Had about  37K miles when I acquired.  I cleaned the undersides and uncoated the rig myself and keep the internal metal flushed out. No rust. Will cruise down Hi-way at 70, no problems. I have the Helm's series service manuals and do all my own mechanic work on the Scout II. Rides ok on dirt roads, not a rough ride like the old 800's. Them old 800 IH 4 bangers were made from 1/2 of the V8 engine.
    Really a nice huntin buggy Corn Binder.
    I had a teenage farm kid ask me once where I got that Massey Ferguson jeep. He was serious. Been thinking about trying to find  some Massey Ferguson emblem's to install on each fender. I have a nice IH cap I wear when driving it and my old IH tractor.
    Link to see some 1100's 
    https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=ih+1100+four+door+pickup&id=A29078C1BEBB3689CF4C99A3FE10E3D786A020BE&form=IQFRBA&first=1&scenario=ImageBasicHover&cw=1117&ch=450

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

Learned to drive a 10 wheeler hauling grain in an old 1967 IH 4 speed with a two speed rear axle . Later drove an identical rig hauling drilling rods all over eastern nc and tidewater Virginia for about two years

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options

Counting Cars, (Counts Customs) did a 74 IH Scout II for a couple a little while back. Man it was sweet. I wish they still made those Scouts, I'd like to have another. Probably be $41K plus though.

• Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    Dad bought a new 1965 Scout w/4 cylinder and 3 speed. It was a handy size for puttering around but was short on everything it needed for other uses.
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    When I was a kid my Dad bought a red Scout II. 
    I loved that thing. 
    At the farm now, there are 3 Scouts and 2 pickups sitting in the shed. 
    Trucks are in good shape. 
    The scouts were picked up for the rear ends. 
  • Options

Nothing like Scouting a little rearend for a pickup. 😉

• Options
    Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,191 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a friend that had a scout years ago. He loved that thing, but the tin worm took its toll on the body and frame. He was in it and I was standing beside it talking to him and could see his leg through the hole in the door. That thing had rust through on every single panel. He drove it until the frame rusted so bad it cracked, then he took it to a scrap yard and he almost had to beg them to take it.