In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hoppe's No. 9

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I found another use for Hoppe's No. 9.  It removes paint.

Bry was playing with something he had no business with, a can of spray paint, and he shot some on the tailgate of my truck.  I didn't find it until after it was dried, so I figured it was there to stay.  Fortunately, it was a small spot.

Some years later, I needed to remove some Gorilla Tape residue from the truck, and alcohol wasn't doing it.  I figured why not try the Hoppe's.  I did and it removed the tape residue.  Just for grins, I rubbed the paint stain, and it came off.  Just like that!  No damage to the original paint!

How about that?

Comments

• Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭✭
    Reminds me that a friend used it to clean parts in the fuel system of his plane engine. Hmmm, I've got a small engine carb that's fouled. Thanks
  • BikerBobBikerBob Member Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

Thought about Hoppe’s #9 when cutting the grass. A good tone to let the mind wander. Thinking about the smells that are nostalgic after hitting an early walnut in the husk. Reminded me of cleaning guns after hunting with my dad.

To me it’s more therapeutic than handy!

• bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Excellent deer repellent.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I believe Ricci uses it to remove Nail Polish.

Then snort some before heading in to the Car Wash. "Oohhh the Pretty lights."

• mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

My grandfather was a big fan of mercury chrome / mercurichrome when we were kids...

Skinned a knee or elbow - caught some skin on a nail or got a splinter and you got painted with mercurichrome...

A shop tag dipped in whichever brown liquor he was sipping on was used to clean up or wipe down a wound in case of infection...

He was a big fan of free bleeding to allow toxins or venoms to leave the body (but would not let you bleed out)...

Unless you needed stitches or staples or broke a limb your got mercurichrome - a whiskey wipe down - a bandage or gauze square held on with white first aid tape - aspirin or strong willow bark tea - some kind of blackberry elixir cure all - maybe neosporin or sulfa powder...

He had .30 cal ammo cans painted white and adorned with a big red cross in his carpentry shop and in the barn and in the deuce and a half with metal cab enclosure and roof - one in the garage and basement and in "mothers" sewing and hobby room - one in between gun cabinets with the hunting gear - one in the duck boat and at the dog enclosure...

Mostly platoon level med kit stuff and assorted discontinued or discounted or damaged or expired medical supplies picked up through the 4H / VET supply store he bought farm and livestock products from...

Grandsons had cat gut and would stitch you up if it was a simple or basic wound...

All his new kits had airplane sized whiskey bottles and mercurichrome and a field sewing kit and a combo of hook and arrow removal tools (god that spoon scared me) a bottle of honey some ground up aspirin and willow bark - and a small bottle of hoppes #9 which he swore could prevent an infection if used on a wound - chemical cleansing with hoppes and spirits would cure what ailed ya...

Grandmom still made a wound poultice or ungent - had a kit to make Paris of plaster casts on the stove - even a wound cauterization tool...

Just some random thoughts and childhood memories.

Mike

• OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    I keep the Hoppes #9 remedy in mind.
    WD40 is also a option sometime for removal of sticky stuff.
    Speaking of memories:
    For snake bites, and most everything else my Dad carried a pint whiskey bottle filled with Kerosene (coal oil) and about 1/4 cup of salt in the Kerosene, the glass bottle wrapped in a burlap sack under or behind the seat of the vec. Somehow the Kerosene would eventually get on the burlap and you could smell the odor when entering the vec's, knowing that if you got snake bit you were going to get his medication if he was with You.
    I seen him use his medication on several dogs, cattle or anything that needed medical attention. I seen him set broken dogs legs and use the kerosene/salt, before and after doing the homemade splints and wrapping.. Nearest Dr. to us was like 100 miles one direction so no doctor visits unless maybe to try and save a life after home remedies were not working. A vet was sometimes consulted for an opinion before going to a Dr. I witnessed several animals get his Kerosene/Salt treatment and they survived. Sure glad I never did get snake bit, had several close calls and flashbacks of the treatment that I would have received if I had got bit or wounded.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    My squirt dispenser is full and there is a brand new 32 oz bottle setting on the floor in the corner.
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    Hoppes- good for colds, moles, and sore butt holes.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    I may be theonly gun guy in he world that can't stand the stuff.  I am really glad we have a lot more options today.
  • Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    Crap, all this time I've been using it as an aftershave. :o:D
  • firstharmonicfirstharmonic Member Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭
    I've actually used it as a bore solvent to clean firearms! 
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I must be the only one on this board who has never owned/used any...........I couldn't even begin to tell you what it smells like
  • RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

Repel 40% deet will take paint off and also melt eye cups on binocs.

• dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    I will have to agree that the scent of #9 takes me back all the way to my childhood.  I'll bet that there are many products today that are much better than old #9 but I always have some #9 on my bench although rarely use it.  Nostalgia is a powerful emotion.
  • 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Grandpa saved my life one time. Cut my scalp open on top right to my skull. He went to barn gathered up all the spiderwebs he could find and packed them into cut. Over 20 miles to closest doctor and no car. By sheer luck Grandpa's brother showed up and took me to doctor about two hours after it happened. Dr. cleaned me up, many stitches and glued a big patch over wound. Clotted nicely or else i would have bled to death doctor said. Dr, was amazed. Grandpa also  raised bees and when ever they stung me he used a red clay mud pack or some chewed tobacco over stinger site. Oh yes, I still use Hoppes #9. I am too old to change now.-----------------Ray

PS I like to pour it in large pill bottle with small parts and shake it real hard like a tumbler and then pour it out into tv dinner container. Pour back into pill container and let it set for couple days and pour off the clear Hoppes and reuse. Wipe out the crud that settled to the bottom of pill container.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    Use it with caution (vinyl gloves, goggles, ventilation).  It is carcinogenic, mutagenic, & toxic.
    Neal
  • Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    nmyers said:
    Use it with caution (vinyl gloves, goggles, ventilation).  It is carcinogenic, mutagenic, & toxic.
    Neal

Life of the party I bet you are.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,704 ✭✭✭✭
    I see that smell decades ago. Yes sir, cleaned my firearms after a day of hunting and what fun that was. As good as my late moms apple pie, nostalgic it is.
  • BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    nmyers said:
    Neal
    Years ago they removed the nitro benzene from the formula. That was the supposed carcinogenic in the formula. I still have a couple of bottles of the original formula but more as a novelty than anything else. Butches and Montana Extreme do most of the work for me now. Bob
  • waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

Hoope’s gun solvent is around 90% kerosene with some oil thrown in it.

• COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******

...It's hard to mistake the distinctive smell of Hoppes  if you've ever used it...been using it since I was a kid.  Hoppes  to me has a great smell...far better than some of the other stuff, and....a great all around product for guns. I always keep a pint size bottle around.

...There are at least 3 products I always have on the gun bench shelves, Hoppes, Tetra lube and Lexol...with these 3 products you can clean lube, and darn near take care of anything...of course cans of WD-40 are everywhere too...  Lexol is great for saddles & tack too, and easy to use...I think we should be paid for product  endorsements... :)

• kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭
    Yeah I have used just about every gun solvent I have come across.  I always end up going back to #9...I will use PB blaster in a pinch or for a gun that has nothing but lead bullets down it.  Sweets 762 is saved only for really neglected bores.
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    I actually quit using Hoppe's No.9 some time ago, though I have a lot of it on hand, because the fumes were noxious.   Recently though, I have found need of it and use it sparingly.

Admit it...

You have mixed a bit into your brown sipping spirits...

You have used a few drops on your person like a cologne...

If Yankee made a scented jar candled that emitted hoppes #9 you would spark it...

Mike