In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Probably going to get moved - but - 75 years ago

AdamsQuailHunterAdamsQuailHunter Member Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
Col. Paul Tibbits Jr. was the pilot in command of the over-loaded B-29 "Enola Gay".
Best - AQH

Comments

• Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭
    I have an autographed book from Dutch Van Kirk the navigator.  He wrote a book about the history of the flight wing the Enola Gay was part of.  He was at a local gun show selling the book.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    In world history that bomb will be etched into time and never be forgotten.  Its use and impact upon the world is as important as the written word.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,776 ✭✭✭✭
    When I went to school Col Tibbets was lauded as a hero. His mission was key in preventing the loss of many thousands of lives if we were to invade the main island.

Today, with education taught mostly by DEMOCRAT ideologues, his mission is portrayed as one of pure evil.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

It ultimately saved the lives of Millions. (Including my Dad.) Had we ended up invading the Japanese Islands, it would have been a bloodbath. Many, many more Japanese Civilians would have been killed. It was a humane way to end the War, albeit controversial.

It was the right call.

• Options
    laylandadlaylandad Member Posts: 961 ✭✭

I spent six months on the island of Tinian in 02. That is where I learned of the significance of the island during WWII. There is a lot of history there and I tried to soak up as much as I could. The island is literally littered with relics. I picked up countless 50 cal bullets that were fired, many fired cases, and even found remains in some caves. The jungle has nearly reclaimed the airfields now but there are some historical markers for the bomb pits and Japanese communication building.

• Options
    ROY222ROY222 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    They still had unused WWII made Purple Heart medals that were issued during the Gulf War.  That shows the impact on lives saved.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭
    Even in a pandemic and a big kaboom in Beirut that was videoed we're reminded it's that time of the year. I suppose 75 years is a marker. I wonder if I'll be here for the 100th?
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,033 ✭✭✭✭

I wondered if the Emperor didn't surrender after two how many more would've been dropped? I forget where I heard it but the story was there were like 3 more ready to go or close to. Also again I forget where but the weather condition made Hiroshima a area of opportunity. Either case two and done. Too much red tape now to drop nukes again. Going on 20 years out in the sand box. It amazes me that there are still meat for the grinder after 20 years. Maybe with this COVID there might be a shortage?