In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pork market nosedive

pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Maxwell Foods , the number 11 largest pork producer in the us announced today they will cease operations by June 2021 they employee about 150 contract growers in my area and have another thousand or so employees o their company owned farms . Going to be a major economic hit here .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 

Comments

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Pork is my major food group.
    Pork prices are up here, double and triple pre-Covid prices.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options

Company claims covid related issues as to reason for closure . I suspect the real reason is the processor, Smithfield Foods is squeezing them out . Maxwell has to contract with Smithfield for processing . Currently epa and environmental regulations make it almost impossible to obtain permits for a new processing plant The Smithfield sale to the China should have been stopped due to monopoly concerns but Obama admin let it slide

• Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    I can buy a pork roast for .99cents a pound?  
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that much of the pork Smithfield sells in the US comes from processing plants in Mexico.  Low wages, no permits required for ponds full of liquified pig poo, no government complaints about runoff, compliant work force.
    Neal

• Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭
    Smithfield was bought by China a while back.....

• Options
    Smithfield was bought by China a while back.....

Ah, Sooooo
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    JimmyJack said:
    I can buy a pork roast for .99cents a pound?  

I wish bacon prices were lower likre a pork roast or shoulder.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,383 ***** Forums Admin
    Looks like somebody's gonna get porked.....
  • Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    Why the hell are prices so down then?
    I can't give away a steer right now!  And I can't get one in for processing for months (maybe part of the reason).

Big bottleneck in the meatpacking sector. A lot of the big plants are not running at 100%

I took two steers in in July after being on a three month wait list. I asked when his next opening was since I have a few more to feed out and his answer was a year. Called every other butcher around and got the same response.
  • Options

All the small custom butchers around here have stopped taking bookings until at least the first of the year huge backlog of orders .

• Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Amazingly, this sounds suspiciously like a door opening for opportunities to reacquire our local butchers again. Many of us have railed against the huge commercial packers for too many years so this seems like the timing has potential. We butchered for ourselves on the farms but as I moved away from the rural settings, local butchers filled the gap nicely. Maybe we should consider this as a timely endeavor?

Best.

• Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    about 40 years ago i took a beef in to be processed after hand feeding it special to be the best....got back a wad of gristle and fat and some SOB got my best.....never did that again ... just bought off the store shelves ever since and have done OK
  • Options
    Amazingly, this sounds suspiciously like a door opening for opportunities to reacquire our local butchers again. Many of us have railed against the huge commercial packers for too many years so this seems like the timing has potential. We butchered for ourselves on the farms but as I moved away from the rural settings, local butchers filled the gap nicely. Maybe we should consider this as a timely endeavor?

Best.

This is a bubble. Once it pops the demand will leave.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Living in a pork producing state, prices are at an all time low. Same with poultry. Eggs $3.69 per box of 60, leg quarters 10 lbs $2.90, pork loin & ribs $.94-99, beef off scale high.  
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,787 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll concede that I never have butchered a beef but I processed many hogs hoisting them up in a tree in my backyard.  If I can butcher a 300 to 350 pound hog by myself and end up with the hog  processed and in the freezer in the same afternoon it can't be to hard.  Granted I was young, as in my 30s early 40s but I could do it.  I already had a big freezer so all I needed was a roll of the white freezer paper.  Ordered it in at a local Ma and Pa hardware and I was in business.  

Since I left that life behind over 30 years ago I am somewhat confused as to why there is so much problem getting a hog or beef processed.  Are there some type of government regulations now that I don't know about??  I know if I was physically able to do it now I know I still could do it.  I wish I had a place where I could butcher a hog.  I would love to teach my son.  One of those skills that could possibly be important to know in the future.

• Options
    edited August 2020

one limiting factor is the need to have a usda inspector on site during the processing . Not enough inspectors to fill all the vacancies . Slows things down . Throw in the epa regulation and the local health Dept regs and it become a nightmare real quick to try to set up s business

for those of us who are adept at butchering and processing our own deer we could do a cow . Tools and equipment just needs to be scaled up somewhat

• Options
    Is it still OK to process your own hog??  As in my hog, my property, my freezer??? 
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭✭

I doubt if butchers will ever really come back, butchering beef or hog is an art into it self. A cow is a big animal, you have to have the equipment to move it around and process it properly, even after you have cut it in half your still maybe talking 500 pounds.

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    pulsarnc  says:
    for those of us who are adept at butchering and processing our own deer we could do a cow . Tools and equipment just needs to be scaled up somewhat
    Right:  but some people are just lazy.
    I know several deer hunters that take their deer to be processed. Waste of money and time and I think most generally they do not even get the same animals meat that they took to the processor and some of the meat is contaminated with hair and bloodshot meat.

I've butchered lots of animals, even big animals. Just get er dun. 
    You can even butcher a large animal on the ground, don't have to be hanging up in the air.
    But again now days if peoples electric can opener loses power or breaks they will starve to death.They also think the meat growed in the can.
    If you want to see how weak minded people are and see something funny, go into a wal-mart and ask where the eggs are, then ask a employee where the rooster eggs are located and ask them to help you find them. I've seen them go look then go ask others. I then sneak off while they are looking.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Pretty sure a butcher can process your animal with out a USDA inspection. Now if it goes on the market after processing then it must be inspected
  • Options
    A good steer will dress out at 65%.  Meaning a 1,000 lb. steer will have a hanging weight of 650 lbs. or 325 lbs. a half.  What most people don't know is that a 1,000 lb. steer if boned out will only yield somewhere in the 350 lb. range or less of actual meat.  This is 50 year old info from an Ag class I had around 1966.  I remember it well because it surprised me.  I thought that when they said a dressing % of 65% meant 650 lbs of meat.  Shows how little I knew back then.  In all honesty not much has changed.      :D     
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭

Haven't seen pork butt for .99 cents since last year. Typically they're $1.49 (on "sale") or $1.99 a pound.

As for obama "allowing" the sale what does he care he's a Muslim.

bustedknee - As for the way you use "Ah, Sooooo" is racist and wrong race at that.  

I blame epa/fda and big butcher. They're basically in cahoots.

There are how to butcher hogs in your backyard by guys on youtube like stoney ridge farms, Justin Rhode and others. It's a big job. I could do a weaner (as I like to call "personal size" at one time in my life I could've ate one over the weekend) to something under 200 pounds. My issue is freezer space.

• Options
    ,,,,bustedknee - As for the way you use "Ah, Sooooo" is racist and wrong race at that.... 
    Guilty as charged.   I thought, "Ah, so" was a Chinese term?

I worked hard my entire life to be non-prejudiced and non-racist.  But over the last couple of years a select few have undone all my hard work.  Orrrrrrr, maybe being a grumpy old man with too many aches and pains, too little sleep and way too much whiskey has something to do with my attitude.  I laugh hardily.

But. anyone that messes with my pork supply is going to be called names by me!
  • Options
    dreher said:
    I'll concede that I never have butchered a beef but I processed many hogs hoisting them up in a tree in my backyard.  If I can butcher a 300 to 350 pound hog by myself and end up with the hog  processed and in the freezer in the same afternoon it can't be to hard.  Granted I was young, as in my 30s early 40s but I could do it.  I already had a big freezer so all I needed was a roll of the white freezer paper.  Ordered it in at a local Ma and Pa hardware and I was in business.  

Since I left that life behind over 30 years ago I am somewhat confused as to why there is so much problem getting a hog or beef processed.  Are there some type of government regulations now that I don't know about??  I know if I was physically able to do it now I know I still could do it.  I wish I had a place where I could butcher a hog.  I would love to teach my son.  One of those skills that could possibly be important to know in the future.

Big issue with beef is you want to hang the carcass in a refrigerated area for 2-3 weeks before you slice and package.
    When the shortages hit in the store everyone and their brother started looking for local farmers to sell them a side. That increase has overwhelmed the local custom processors creating this backlog. I personally have more people wanting to buy sides than I can supply, even if I could there is no place to get them processed.

My butcher does not want to expand is facility because this is just a short term spike and should be back to normal within a year. I agree with him.
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    • I don’t mean this to be callous-

But how do I make money on the current situation?

Is there an investment to be made?

• Options
    Warbirds said:
    • I don’t mean this to be callous-

But how do I make money on the current situation?

Is there an investment to be made?

Drop a couple million on a new small packing plant, book orders out for the next year and hope you can sell the business before this "pandemic" ends.
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    Seems to me our local meat processors have always been pretty well booked up for a long time, perhaps due to the abundance of corn fed deer.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Wish i had been older when I participated in butchering hogs out in Spotsylvania VA as a young lad. I don't remember enough to do it without a refresher course LOL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Mogley, if you can do a deer you can do a hog.  I know to do a hog "correctly" you scrape the hide and do cracklings.  I always just skinned them.  Much easier.  Once you have them hung, gutted, skinned and split down the center through the spine, breaking them down further is pretty much the same doing a hog or deer.  
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,082 ✭✭✭✭

bustedknee - With the green font no where to be found it's hard to bust folk's chops. Just funning at you.

With AG department yielding to the granola munchers about humane "free ranging" chicken for egg production meat will be going up.

Having a big and deep enough scalding tank is one of the harder thing to have to do a big hog. Most folks around there for wild pig they just skin them. Figure they're less than 100 pounds? No Hogzillas in these woods. Hell most'll just take the legs and call it a day.

• Options
    I was talking to a friend today. The farm he works for supplies Tyson. His farm ended up killing and burying 40,000 hogs because Tyson had the packing plants shut down. It made me sick hearing about all of em being wasted.
  • Options
    yoshmyster,
    I knew you were funning me.  Well done.

The governing organization (whoever that may be, around here) has cracked down on local meat processors.  I know one fellow that has been doing this for years and has the complete setup for deer, hogs and beef.  This year apparently, there is a new requirement for disposing of the entrails.  Some sort of special "septic system" that this guy does not have that would cost him somewhere around a 1/2 million bucks to install.
    So, he is reduced to showing up at the farm, killing and skinning the animal then taking it to his facility for further processing (cool/age, cut and wrap).  He is backed up until next summer.
  • Options
    RobOzRobOz Member Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭

As a young lad I worked summers on the Wasik farm. I can't remember the exact process but it went something like this. Shoot, scald, drain the blood into bucket and then us kids would scrape the hair off with a circular looking razor tool. They would then make blood pudding. Everything but the squeal.

• Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    My dad would butcher hogs when I was a young'n. 
    About all I remember is that it was the coldest day of the year and the only heat was from the giant cast iron pot heater he made to heat the lard and cook the cracklins. 
    I would nearly freeze waiting for the fresh cracklins.  :D
    I've butchered a few in the last 10 years. 
    Skin, pull the loins and ribs, the rest for whole hog sausage.