In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Missile ??

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
Do you think t a missile started the explosion in Beirut?? Will we ever know?? The Israelis'?? 

Comments

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

Doubtful that it was a targeted strike . Nothing I have seen supports that idea . Bottom line an almost comedy of errors lined up to trigger this tragedy .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭✭

If I remember right, wasn’t’ there a similar accident in Texas at a harbor port, back in the 20s or 30s? Thought I seen it on a documentary a few years ago. I think it was some ship that was hauling ammonium nitrate.

• Options
    grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,317 ✭✭✭✭
    waltermoe said:

If I remember right, wasn’t’ there a similar accident in Texas at a harbor port, back in the 20s or 30s? Thought I seen it on a documentary a few years ago. I think it was some ship that was hauling ammonium nitrate.

1947--Had an Uncle who was a couple of miles from the Texas City blast. He had lung trouble the rest of his life from caustic smoke inhalation. 
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,189 ✭✭✭✭
    Somebody would have to explain why a missile strike would be directed at a warehouse fire. Because the fire was burning a good amount of time before the blast.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    Beirut still had a functioning fire department before the blast, so I would imagine that there were several units on the scene.  If they had a dispatch system, they likely made recordings of all calls; if not, we may never know.  Any personnel close to the fire scene were vaporized.
    Neal
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Walter- April, 1947.  There have been others.  AN is the most common explosive used in the world.  The US uses nearly 5 million pounds a day as explosives- mainly in mining and construction rock blasting.  Safe, cheap, effective.  But anything MADE to explode CAN explode.  
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    Somebody would have to explain why a missile strike would be directed at a warehouse fire. Because the fire was burning a good amount of time before the blast.
    Could the 1st missile have missed the target and started the fire and the 2nd missile hit the target?

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I will add - someone would have to explain why the Lebanese President is rejecting calls for an internationally led investigation. The U.N. Asked to get involved & have been told “no” by Lebanon.

What does that mean to you?

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Google the by products of burning AN, follow a couple links and it explains in detail what could have went wrong in Beruit.
    Sawdust, grain, flour, metal filings and shavings will create the same results, Poom pow!
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Poor quality control on the anti Semitic unguided rocket production line???

Mike