In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Comments

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    Kinda sorta, I read a couple of books that had one of the primary characters that spoke pidgin and the author wrote his lines in pidgin.  It was an interesting read.  Can't remember the authors name as it was a long while back.  I know it is much easier to read pidgin than to listen to someone speaking pidgin.  I've heard it spoken and had no clue what they were saying.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭✭

Managed to figure out at least 95% of it . Grew up farming in a very rural area and a lot of the older blacks spoke like this back in the 60’s

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    ...When I was a little kid, Mom and Dad would speak that if they had something to say that they didn't want me to hear...after awhile of watching their reactions, what they did after speaking this strange language...I caught on to it...never did let them know I understood what they were saying when they spoke it, still remember a bit of it.  I spoke it to my grand kids once and they looked at me like I was speakin' Martian... :)
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    I suppose phonetics in print would look like that. Kind a like trying to read "Trainspotting".
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, but I worked with the construction industry in Hawai'i for about 10 years, and became fairly fluent in Polynesian pidgin.  Hey- you no gib me da stink-eye bout dat!  
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    The wife and her family will jabber in pig-latin sometimes. With a little practice I can pick it up. Iya inktha athay arya ullfay ofya ullbay itshay.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Kinda like speakin' Nort Carolina'ese.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    I can't do it without giving myself a Jamaican accent though LOL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!