In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Bear races car

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I've always read and been told that a bear can outrun a racehorse from a dead stop for a short distance. Another good reason why you do not want to run. You are not going to win that race.

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,750 ✭✭✭✭
    Think he would have got me. I bet if some people were around those vehicles, pizz ran down their pants if they saw him coming full speed.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    Alaska seems to attract stupid tourists.  In Denali, I saw several tourists leave their cars in order to get close enough to bears for a memorable photo.  This, despite numerous warnings.
    And, you don't want to leave food in your car when in bear country; an adult bear can easily rip a car door off your car with it's claws.
    Neal
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool, thanks for posting.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    We got a local bear that can open unlocked doors. He has learned to pull on the door handles.
    84 be careful but there was car parked in  Linville with Taco Bell essence inside, bear ripped the door open and destroyed the inside of the car
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Live near a bear refuge, hounds jump bears and then bears head to the refuge, hunters will have to drive about 10 miles to retrieve their dogs in adjoining state. Bears are fast and great distance runners.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,241 ✭✭✭✭
    I knew a guy up in Manson Creek British Columbia, Larry Erickson.  Larry was a big game guide.  He got paid money to help people shoot grizzly.  Of course they always set out on the hunts on horse back.
    Larry said a grizzly could outrun a horse in a 100 yard dash.
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

I said "black bear".  I apologize to anyone that was offended.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting how high the mail box is.
  • Options

“It's well-known that I can reach speeds of up to 35 mph; some scientists think I can even go faster than that. What's less known is that I also have incredible endurance: On multiple occasions, scientists in Yellowstone have clocked grizzlies running 25-28 mph over a distance of two miles, and according to observers, I wasn't even breaking a sweat. I was moving at a "rolling lope."

-Backpacker magazine

• Options

I drive a ‘63 Land Rover and take the top off in summer, the doors come about up to my elbows. One morning I came down the mountain heading for work, got onto the paved road, turned right and started accelerating around the long bend into the rising sun. Motion to the left caught my eye, I glanced over and a huge brown bear leapt up to his feet and in 2 strides was matching my speed. He was on the far side of the road in the grass just off the shoulder. “Oh crap” I thought and I floored it to get away. cough Land Rover, there is no getting away. I had my foot down and she was giving it everything she had, which was nowhere near enough. He glanced over and started coming up onto the pavement, not even breathing hard. I couldn’t stop and turn back, and I sure as heck couldn’t get away from him, and his head was as high as my elbow and he was coming closer. I must have looked like a TV dinner in that alloy Rover. I kept my foot down, the speedometer maintained its leisurely sweep toward 30, and the bear moved closer with each stride. I could hear him breathing, he glanced at me one last time, then abruptly turned toward me, my heart stopped, and he let the Rover go past, then he ran across to the right shoulder and slowed, and went up into the alders.

Good thing I was wearing brown trousers that day.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

That is a classic story Nanuq907. I can picture myself being in that same situation. "The speedometer maintained it's leisurely sweep towards 30."

LMFAO! 😂

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Good reason when entering bear country to take someone with you that you can outrun or shoot your companion in the knee then run.