In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

A Firewood Connoisseur

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    My God, those stacks are like a fine wine. I loved to be the woodsman years ago. We burnt wood as a kid and I was the woodsman. Now after using the 20" bar for an hour I have to walk bent over for a while.  :#
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I consider myself a "Firewood Connoisseur, as I am sure Jimmyjack does also. I believe you could put Allen Griggs in there as well.

Probably a few others here also. (Jltrent, etc.)

Started splitting wood in my Pap paws woodshed with a double bit axe at about 6 years old. (Wood burning Kitchen stove.) God I'd love to have that thing. (Huge)

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭

My goodness that guy has a huge firewood operation!   But if you really want to dry wood fast, you need to build the Allen Griggs Non-Ventilated Wood Shed.  I keep the door closed.  It sets in the sunshine all day long.  It gets hot in there!  It works on the principle that water vapor will pass through wooden walls and floors.
    I am getting oak and hickory down to 17 percent moisture content in 9 months.
    It looks small, it is 8x12, but it holds more wood than I can burn in one winter and I burn a lot of wood.
  • Options
    That's impressive Allen. I think that guy lives in Minnesota and heats just with wood. 
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,669 ******
    Golden Retriever approved

• Options
    Nice!! Cool doggy.
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

I’m down to birch rounds, only about a cord left to split. Getting there. I love this stuff.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    Jim Deere you have good taste in firewood.   That is locust with some cherry on top.  Locust is great firewood.
    I am burning up the locust and have about burned it all up.  The locust blight hit here 20 years ago and killed all the trees.  Not much left.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    No, Im just a common tree farmer that grows and sells wood.  I keep about 45 facecords for myself  to heat my home with a wood fired boiler.  I keep it all under a roof, or ten facecords or so in a shed.  Either works fine.  Moisture meters are only 15 to 20  bucks,  get one.  I burn some junk wood so it doesnt get wasted. I can heat my home with 15 face cords per year.