In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Quality Control

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
Just opened a brand new box of Federal .38 Special +P 158 gr. Semi-Wadcutter Hollow Points to change the ammo in my S&W 642 and the speed strip that accompanies it and guess what?? Staring at me is a round with no primer. Maybe I will just keep the old Buffalo Bore ammo till I can fire a few of these new Feds.

Comments

• Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

That is amazing and inexcusable.

I would notify them, not for “free stuff” but this is something they should genuinely have under control.

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    With the poop, that's been hitting the fan over the last 6 months. I have no doubt, that their cranking them out 24 hrs. a day. Unfortunately they had to hire Mortimer Snerd, to do their quality control. 

Better hope, it's only one bad one without a primer. Nothing going to happen. If by chance, there are some without powder. Really, really bad stuff could transpire, in a serious social situation. 
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭

I would expect something like a primer verification could/would be done with an automated mechanical go/no-go type gauge or some sort of “flying probe” as well as with Automated Optical Inspection, where a camera inspects every single round to verify a primer is there and seated.

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,071 ✭✭✭✭
    California Special? So the criminals won't get hurt.
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Have found upside down primers in factory ammo.  Which is why I handload my SD ammo.  I KNOW what went in there.
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭✭
    Sounds more like what I would expect in Remington ammo.
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    chme said:
    Have found upside down primers in factory ammo.  Which is why I handload my SD ammo.  I KNOW what went in there.
    I have been told that it is not a good idea to use hand loads for SD, because it opens up an avenue for the attorney's to try and exploit if it is used in an actual SD scenario.........was I told wrong?
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I have shot tens of thousands of rounds of both factory and handloads and except for something obvious such as this primer missing I have had very few problems. It's your life so it's your choice, unless of course you live in a state that knows better than you. I like to use good factory SD ammo with a good track record.
  • Options
    Toolman286Toolman286 Member Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭✭
    Our PD went thru 24,000+ rounds a year. We occasionally found no primer, a reversed primer or a casing mouth buggered up. The real problem was getting the officers to actually check their ammo before loading their mags.
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Mohawk, I have heard that.  What I have NOT found is even one case where that happened.