In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Adding to the compound

susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

Moved back to the family farm, middle of nowhere Missouri. #1 and her family moved up here and are now my neighbors living in my Mom and Dad's house. The grandsons are loving farm life.

Started with chickens, added honeybees and now we are getting into raising goats. He is an Alpine/Nigerian Dwarf cross. Next step is a few lady friends for kids and milk/cheese/butter.

Comments

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    If voles in the car bothered you how are you going to like goats on the hood?

Nice looking goat.   A goat dairy will give you all you need with less cost/effort than a dairy cow.  You can also use them to clean brush and keep the weeds down.
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,997 ******
    Good for you, good for the kids.   :):)
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    SCOUT5 said:
    ....A goat dairy will give you all you need with less cost/effort than a dairy cow.  You can also use them to clean brush and keep the weeds down.
    You forgot Bar-B-Que.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    Or cabrito...
    Which is nothing short of magnificent! :)
    Best.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

That is one nice looking stocky Goat. Good breeding stock there. Yep, better not have them anywhere near your vehicles.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

More like, "Hurry up and get out of here so I can poop on the porch and start chewing on some of this nice furniture. Then it's off to the vehicles. You think a dog can do some damage? You ain't seen nothing yet." 😂

• Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Missouri is probably nice country if you could rid yourselves of St. Louis
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    and you find him with his legs dangling through the convertible top and while he is hanging there he is eating the material, eating his way out.
    Had a Friend and his son and daughter in law moved in close to him and they got milk goats. My friend had a NEW Toyota truck.  The big Billy goats liked to get on top of the cab of the NEW Toyota pickup and when they got ready to come down they would jump in the middle of the hood.
    Damage by goats was not covered under the Toyota warranty.
    Yep, them voles will now be a minor issue.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,636 ✭✭✭✭
    Get him a piece of sheet metal to play on.  Maybe he'll stay off the vehicles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8p22U-5yVA
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭
    It has been a long time since I had goats but all the comments about goats and your car/truck are 100% correct.  They will get sand, small stones in their hooves.  When they jump from the roof to either the hood or the trunk they will slide when they hit the metal surface leaving really impressive scratches!!  They also enjoy pooping all over the car/truck.  At least the poop just washes off.

Word to the wise...........a very, very good fence!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,196 ******
    Looks like a nice goat. 
    The farmer I deer hunt on got some goats. 
    When I pulled into where I normally park, I saw the goats on top of the combine cab! 
    I kept right on driving. 
    All of his goats disappeared when they scratched up the hood of his new tractor. 
    The next set of goats he got were of the non-climbing variety. 
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not real sure there is a "non-climbing variety" of goats.  Goats can be a lot of fun if they can be kept on their side of the fence.

I had some real good Togenburg goats.  I even had a star buck.  I don't even remember what a star buck means but back then it signified something special.  I sold a son of my star buck to guy from Minnesota.  He came to pick it up and I look at his ring finger and see a Super Bowl ring!!  Fred Cox ? the field goal kicker for the Vikings back in the early 70s.   Once while watching a Vikings game  they mentioned his wife bred milk goats as part of the color commentator stuff.
  • Options
    asopasop Member Posts: 8,910 ✭✭✭✭
    Wife threw an engagement party for the daughter of close friends of ours.  One of our neighbors was invited & brought their goat "Gilbert".  She always said she may forget alot about the guest list but never the goat :D
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    Get them fainting goats and anytime the jump up on something yell at them and have them faint LOL
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭

Many years ago I grew prize winning roses as a hobby . I was a field tester for Jackson and Perkins for new varieties . My brother had goats . They escaped one day and destroyed over 100 of my roses in one day . Have hated them ever since .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭
    had a pygmy goat as a pet for kids, kept it in a chain link dog kennel with my beagles, got them used to the smell and they didn't seem to want to run deer, poor goat thought he was a dog. all I can say is watch your flowers, he would eat any he could reach/climb to and loved dandilions didn't matter if they were yellow or white, seems that was the only thing he would eat, guess he never got a taste for weeds........ they will also find a way into the chicken, dog, and cat food