In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

selling the story as much as gun itself

Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
Some sellers ramble on about their wares like the story of how this 94 30-30 was neglected.   I once read that Jesse James widow sold his gun several times after he passed. I wonder what kind of story an imaginative seller could come up with for this old 38 with a number etched on it?
I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly

Comments

• Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,617 ✭✭✭✭
    I love the stories......when I was in the retail store we would make signs a put them on a few with ELABORATE stories just for a bit of fun.      The 1911 that crossed the Delaware with Washington was one of them.    
    LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com
  • mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

IMHO...

Last four digits of a SS # or property room / evidence locker identity number...

Oh and BTW does the gun have an intact serial number???

Just my 2 cents worth of best guesses and my random thoughts.

Mike

• Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I have two story guns, an 1880's Colt Single Action and a S&W Victory Model; trouble is, I don't know the stories, but I can make up some good ones! :D 

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

Speaking of Jesse and his guns...Enjoy!

What's next?
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

And saddle.

What's next?
  • OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Mr. Haney from Green Acres would be a good gun salesman.
    I sometimes ask people if they are kin to or know to Mr. Haney after I hear some of their BS stories.
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,305 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I have my FIL's Savage M170, 30-30, and can tell you a true story about it. It has only killed 1 LEGAL deer! Old Luke, may he RIP, didn't pass on deer, or as he called them, "Great horned rabbits"! He fed several needy families in SW Arkansas with most of his ill-gotten venison in the early '70s. 
    WWII Dday vet, and one of my best hunting and fishing partners.
    Before he got the Savage, he hunted with a Marlin 22 and a Winchester M12 20ga, both of which accounted for a lot of deer.
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    I had a Crescent hammer double that I might have let on had been carried by Irene Ryan in the 60s.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • chmechme Member Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a practical joker friend.  Has a photo of infamous bad guy holding a gun.  Serial number visible in picture.  He had same make and model gun, and was a WHIZ at photoshop.  Suddenly gun in photo matched his gun.................... o:)   
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    I am the story