In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

hunting set-up

danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,474 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
this seems like a really good set-up and price looks good too
what do you ins say?
I know it could use a better scope but this cheap
a person could afford to put better optics on it and have great hunting package
what do you ins think?

Comments

• Options
    redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,686 ✭✭✭✭
    If you can't drop a deer with that you don't need to be hunting.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Ammo is going to be scarce and expensive unless you hand load.
    Very little resale value, no big deal if it is a keeper.
    If you like it, your money, have at it, our 2 cents don't amount to much.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes. 
     BTW I've used the trophy line of scopes with good results.  I've had one on a 20ga slug gun for over 15 years and we've killed a lot of deer with it.  .Yes they are what they are, which is not great, but they have held  zero.   I have found on these package guns it's best to remove the scope and remount.  So not extra work if you put better rings and scope on it.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I bought one of my sons one of these in a left handed model chambered in .308.   I haven't shot it but he seems pleased with it.
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭✭
    Ive got one on a .22 I bought and for the money it is well worth it.  No complaints.
  • Options
    randomnutrandomnut Member Posts: 942 ✭✭✭

I shoot Savage almost exclusively in hunting rifles. From the Long Range 300 Win Mag I killed an elk at 690 yards with last year, to a custom build I did on a model 10 action in 6.5x47 (which my son took an elk at 710 yards with), on down to a Leupold topped Axis in 06 that took five whitetails last year, from 80 to 320 yards. That's a good deal and a fine cartridge.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a good buy. I have a 300wsm in a model 70 and it has accounted for a few critters with no problems at all. I settled on the Federal Fusion loads and they have been perfect. 90% weight retention on some big bodied deer and would also make a good elk load. Lots of ammo listed on the auction side so availability isn't a problem. Bob