In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Making kind a porchetta

yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭

Picked up a bit of pork belly with skin, a small loin to put in the pork belly and a pound of hot Italian sausage that will be used as stuffing. The loin kind a smelled off. Washed the funk off and if it still smell bad tomorrow I'll toss it. The sausage and the loin will be wrapped by the pork belly and tied up a loaf (think sausage stuffed, pork loin, pork belly burrito). I know this is not traditional but I'm the cook

Got the belly salted, peppered and soaking in a bit of port. The loin just salted and peppered (so I can smell the funk if it returns). Need to get some fresh sage so I'll hit a nursery on my way home tomorrow. Now most will thrown it in the oven for a 2 - 3 hours but I'm thinking of steaming it for 20 - 30 minuets before throwing it in the oven. The steam will start rendering the fat so I can concentrate on making the skin crispy when it goes in the oven. 

Maybe get some eggplant and throw them in the oven to get mushy. Roast some garlic and mush them in the eggplant.

Comments

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    What time should I come over?
    I'll bring wine and pick up a couple of the guys on the way.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭✭
    What do you think made the loin smell?  
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    You lost me after the loin smelled.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

If it even remotely smelled, toss it. Not worth it. Trust your instinct, "This smells off."

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Mad hog, not a clean kill. Adrenalin shoots through the blood stream to the muscles. Think it is funkie now wait until the heat hits it. My 2 cents.
  • Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    What the hell is a porch etta?? 
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,755 ✭✭✭✭
    It's when you take Etta out on the porch and the rest is history.
  • Options
    notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭
    Yeah,if you were cooking the loin by itself you might be able to cook the stank out of it but being inside the belly, it would contaminate the whole thing. Porcetta is traditional Italian street food and usually heavy with garlic and a bit salty too. I made two at the same time last year in my smoker and still have one in the chest freezer. Thanks for reminding me. Although mine isn't the 3 stage type that you've conjured.
  • Options

bustedknee - Not that kind a "pork" fest.

JimmyJack - It was one of those in a bag with liquid (blood and water). Maybe someone pulled it out and left it out on the cookie isle and they just popped it back in the reefer section after they found it couple days later? I blame the Muslims.

Yeah I was looking forward to pork, in pork wrapped in pork. Took a whiff and the funk is coming back. I'll cook it up alone and freeze it for a friend's dog. That reminds I do have a few bits of pork butt I steaked out in the freezer I could substitute for the stinky loin. I should've thought about this and saved a few bucks.

I'll need bread for the sandwiches.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I would prefer Spam over that mess.
  • Options

Well got it kind a rolled. It looked more like a strung up horse shoe. After slicing a rainbow of porky goodness. But that's not until tomorrow. The thing is resting in the fridge un covered to dry up the skin. I suppose I could have rolled it up better but I kind a over filled it with strips of pork butt.

Oh took the rank loin back and I got my money back. I ended up buying lotto tickets with the refund. Good to know I can return things in COVID era.

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

After all the badmouthing about SPAM, it has been consistently sold out for months now. 😆

I have probably 20 cans, so I am good to go. Just been observing.

Glad you got your $$ back Yosh. Never even thought about the option of taking it back. Good on you.

• Options

The dog missed out on free eats but if the dog "leaked" in the house I'd feel bad for the pooch. I'm sure her owners are happy that there was no leakage.

Anyhow it came out pretty good. The skin could've been crisper and this would've been great in one of those RonCo Rotessery to crisp up the skin. I know I could've cranked up on the heat for the last 20 but it had such a beautiful brown without any burn. Think Tyra Banks all oiled up. Then the power outage (warm day) threw off the cooking time. I reckon I'll just pan fry it before sliding it in to a sandwich. That reminds me I need to go get some bread later today and maybe a 'mater?

The fresh sage and Italian Oregano I picked up made the whole house smell like I was making a pizza. I'll need to plant those. Oh the Thyme I picked up a while back was getting fried by the heat. Had I not picked up those herbs Friday I would've had "dried" thyme. A couple might not bounce back? I remember reading they're "supposed" to be drought tolerant.