In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Son and his first construction accident!!

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
I am so proud of my son!  21 years old and working construction ten to twelve hour days outside in the S.C. sun.  I don't care who you are that is work.  So yesterday Uri gets his trigger finger between a hammer and post.  It is not a pretty sight.  Yesterday was Hot Momma's 48th birthday and we are holding the party at our daughters house.  Our son-in-law is an ER Doc.   We get to Ana's house and Uri is already there.  SIL is busy sewing him up.   It is only one stitch but SIL doesn't have anything to numb things up with at his house.  

Thinking about the snowflakes that panic about almost anything and there Uri is, 21 years old, after a ten hour day in the sun, getting sewed up with no numbing.   I have made so many mistakes in my life.  Uri was born when I was 52.  At the time I hoped this wasn't another of my mistakes.  He has answered that doubt so many times but perhaps never more than yesterday.   By God my son is a 21 year old MAN in a world where men are in short supply.  Am I proud??  OMG yes!!  Thank you, thank you LORD for what you have blessed me with!! 

Comments

• Options
    OkieOkie Member Posts: 991 ✭✭✭
    Yep, he is a man.
    No whining around at the Dr's office or hospital and having drugs forced on him. 
    He is a rare breed now days.
  • Options
    susiesusie Member Posts: 7,304 ✭✭✭✭

A man among boys. You did good.

• Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    Ditch-RunnerDitch-Runner Member Posts: 24,579 ✭✭✭✭
    sure sounds like a fine young man to me , congrats to the parents and to him  
     good work ethics are getting  scarce .
    as for getting sewed up ok when I was much younger  , now no thanks  older and do not like pain if it can be avoided ..
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    No booze? Not even Nyquil or clove oil extract (actually not many folks have that) vanilla extract extracted with booze? Huff some gasoline?
  • Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,788 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope, no booze or anything else.  He never said a thing.  Took it like a man!!  We wont mention anything about the fact he turned ghostly white, started sweating heavily and I thought he was going to faint.         :D
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    When I was his age I was working construction.  Nailing down some bottom plates on an apartment framing job, I hit my left big toe with a 28 ounce framing hammer.
    Went up to the ER, it was bleeding beneath the toe nail, but the blood could not escape so it was under pressure.  It hurt!  Big toe and to nail were all purple.
    Doc heated up a paper clip on a Bunsen burner, and burned a hole through the toenail with the red hot paper clip, and the blood blew out.  Man, that felt better.

It is good for young men to do these difficult jobs.
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,397 ✭✭✭✭
    I did something similar years ago when living in a very small town in Maine.  Went to the ER for stitches and DR said it would hurt more for him to numb the area then to just do the two stitches. He did the two stitches so quick it was over before I got the real pain.

Of course this was a very small hospital and DR was on call he does not stay at ER the whole shift.  I always wondered what it meant if the DR working on you is wearing a Porky the Pig T-shirt.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Smashing a digit with a hammer is a rite of passage in construction. Yes, I've done it more than once. Worst was a very large wheeled air compressor I was getting off a deck. Pulled the handle toward me off the stairs. Went to catch the back end portion as it came off the top of the deck. Weight caught me off guard. It bounced off my left hand middle digit right at the apex curve of the tank. Yep, had to drill that nail to let the pressure out.

You can feel every heart beat on those types of injuries until you finally give in and drill the nail.

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    When I had the hole burned in my big toenail in the ER, there were two pretty young nurses in attendance.  Doc put the paper clip into forceps, and heated the tip red hot.  He put the red hot tip of the paper clip onto my toenail, and it started smoking.  Surprisingly, it didn't hurt, my toe already hurt so much there was no room for any more pain.
    In five seconds he burned right through the toenail, and blood squirted out 3 feet, and squirted all over the Doc's shirt!
    The nurses dropped my foot and both grabbed wet cloths and went to mopping up the blood off the shirt of the handsome young doctor.   I think the girls were vying for a date for Friday night.
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    If his finger gets infected and causes some other problems in the future which require medical attention the company insurance won't pay for it since the accident was not reported on the job. 
  • Options
    We were putting up some apartment buildings and had the old air nailers without safeties... if you pulled the trigger after disconnecting the air, it would go off next time it was hooked up.  I was trying to attach a hose and it wouldn't click in so I wrapped my arm around it, tip up in my armpit, and clicked the hose on.  "BAM"  It shot a 16d framing nail right up into that joint, missing the arteries, nerves, everything!  I had to get some pliers to pull it out, and just went back to work.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Good for him and reflects on your exapmle.
    I've raised a pickup load of sons, toss in nephews, young cousins and some tag alongs I've had to fix, clean, dress more than  a few injuries along the way.  I tell them "this is going to hurt, I don't want to hear about it, now hold still".   The expectations of a mentor  goes a long way.

Working in the ER I've seen a lot of wimps and quite a few stoic people.  It's not hard to tell who's who when they show up.   
  • Options
    I used to bring my daughter to play pond hockey games with us.  But her hands got hot and she'd take her gloves off.  I'd chew her out and make her wear them, until one day she was fighting for a puck and went down, and someone skated over her hand.  His skate thankfully wasn't very sharp but he went lengthwise down the meaty outer edge and down her 3rd finger, splitting it open.  We ran off to the doc-in-the-box and he cleaned it up, then started trying to inject the hand to block the nerve.  He kept missing and she finally just told him to stitch it up.  That was bad enough but when he got to the nail it was split lengthwise and he had to remove it.  He did, and I started hearing ringing in my ears.  Then he started stitching the nail bed together and someone shouted CATCH HIM! just as I keeled over.  How embarrassing.  My daughter still laughs about that, and mentions it every chance she gets.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I can relate Nanuq. I can deal with pain and injuries to myself, without being squeamish. Seeing it on someone I love, is a different proposition.

• Options
    hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭

I can relate Nanuq. I can deal with pain and injuries to myself, without being squeamish. Seeing it on someone I love, is a different proposition.

but you laugh when ricci gets hurt.......