In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

R/T flight info please....

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
Going to book a fishing trip next year in Sitka AK, and want to get the best deal on r/t air fare as possible. Looking to fly from Portland OR, to Sitka AK. I'd like to try and book the fishing dates with the cheaper air fare rates. Are there any particular times of the week that offer cheaper rates than others? Planning on a 4 night/3 day trip.

Comments

• Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Alaska Airlines -  Bite the bullet - trip of a lifetime.
    or
    Add a couple days to your trip and drive up to Bellingham, WA and take the ferry - trip of a lifetime.
    I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    Alaska Airlines -  Bite the bullet - trip of a lifetime.
    or
    Add a couple days to your trip and drive up to Bellingham, WA and take the ferry - trip of a lifetime.
    It will be A/A....
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭
    What are you goin' after, Toad?  Salmon, halibut, rockfish?  Enquiring minds want to know!
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

Yep, what fish? Ocean salmon? River salmon? Coho, Chinook, Sockeye? Halibut? The runs determine when to go. 3rd week of August for Coho is pretty hard to beat. Look at the Alaska Air calendar for prices, other airlines will be competitive on the same dates. It’s all about the tourists and getting seats filled.

• Options
    Going back to Kingfisher Charters, haven't been there for 15 or so years...

https://www.kingfishercharters.co/
  • Options
    Kingfisher looks like a pretty solid operation.  If you really want to fish until your arms fall off, hit Prince William Sound, the south end of Esther Island, 3rd week of August.  There's a hatchery up the east side of the island and all those Silvers come back.  You'll be drifting in deep water 100 feet off the rocks with thousands of salmon all around you.  Close your eyes and throw a rock, chances are you'll hit a salmon jumping.  Accommodations are limited but available in Whittier, it's the weirdest little town in the world but the fishing is amazing.  Alaska Air into Anchorage, fly midweek when it's cheap, and book a charter in Whittier, they can handle transportation down there and a room in the hotel.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    You will PUCKER going into the Sitka airport.  It is an island and you think you are going to get a big ocean water enema coming in to land.  You pay the ferry to get to town.
  • Options
    toad67 said:
    Going back to Kingfisher Charters, haven't been there for 15 or so years...

https://www.kingfishercharters.co/
    At roughly ~$2,500/person for 3 days fishing and a 1-3 fish limit (depending on the fish)...I'll have fresh fish sent to me FedEx Next-Day Air at $50/lb, and save THOUSANDS per pound!

Order away then.... The 2020 quota is 6 silvers per person/day, 3 chinooks per person/day, 1 halibut a day, and some misc. bottom fish, so if things went well, that's 10+ fish per person each day..... We went there a few years back and came home with 160# of fillets each...But hey, go ahead and order that farm raised stuff and see how well you like it. In 10 years I can look at the pictures and remember the good times, and you can look at your visa receipt and the empty cardboard boxes they came in.
  • Options
    papernickerpapernicker Member Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭
     I would be going for crab
  • Options
    steve45steve45 Member Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭
     I would be going for crab
    Probably some crab boats people out looking for a "greenhorn"
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    bpost said:
    ....  You pay the ferry to get to town.
    Sitka?

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    edited August 2020

Not no mo ... remember them ridiculing Sarah for the Bridge to Nowhere? That’s where they put it. Now you can drive to the airport.

Edit: Oops, sorry, I’m thinking Gravina island and Ketchikan. Mea culpa.