In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Swamp People: Serpent Invasion -

KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion

Catching large Serpents in the Everglades. (Burmese and Rock Pythons) with one Anaconda later in the show. Have seen it before. Watching it again.

Oh Hell no.

Anyone seen it, or watching it now? (Ch 120 History channel.)

Comments

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,018 ******
    They're doing it to collect a bounty.  I understand the bounty is paid dead-or-alive, so why in the heck are these yahoos going to the trouble to catch them alive?  They are pests, and dangerous, so just blow their heads off and sack 'em up.
  • Options

That's exactly what I've been thinking Nunn. Why try and catch them and risk getting bite. Real easy to grab the tail, and the other guy whacks right behind the head with a big stick. Easy Peesie.

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭✭

That's exactly what I've been thinking Nunn. Why try and catch them and risk getting bite. Real easy to grab the tail, and the other guy whacks right behind the head with a big stick. Easy Peesie.

Probably because that would be boring and no one would watch the show. I don't know what they get paid for being in the show but it sure wouldn't be enough $ for me to catch them live. Bob
  • Options

I pretty much new that and understood that, as I was posting my comment Bob.

Worked for an Exotic Animal Importer (1st job) back in the early 70's in Miami. Still have bad dreams of dealing with Big snakes. (Pythons etc.) Got bite in the chest once, thought it was going for my face, as I was looking down his throat. (That's the one I dream about.)

• Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭✭
    I figured you did but I guess I was alluding to the fact that some people will do anything for money, no matter how foolhardy. Then again it could be they do it for the 15 min of fame for being on television. Kind of a hold my beer and watch this scenario. Bob
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

SNAKES

The reason God made shotguns.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭

In one episode a blonde in hip waders came out of nowhere and every time they whacked a big one she’d race out in the water and feel it all over, then stomp back to shore muttering under her breath. Finally during the filming they got close enough for the hot mic to pick up what she was saying.

“Hold still you slimy rascal, hold still... nope nothing here, no nothing there... doggone it! This one isn’t wearing boots either!”

• Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,806 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    nunn said:
    They're doing it to collect a bounty.  I understand the bounty is paid dead-or-alive, so why in the heck are these yahoos going to the trouble to catch them alive?  They are pests, and dangerous, so just blow their heads off and sack 'em up.
    Do they have laws preventing firearm use? Have always been a herp fan but these invasive species are wiping out all indigenous stuff from turtles, to birds. 
    Maybe this is why we haven't heard from HeDog in a while ;)
  • Options
    spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    smithsonian magazine had a great article on this a few issues ago and good pics.....really big sneks out there and they reported small mammals are fast disappearing out of that area  and if the hunters cannot get the snake numbers down most of the mammals will be gone....
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,126 ✭✭✭✭
    If they just thumped/shot/stabbed the snakes spca/peta would be there a bitching.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    smithsonian magazine had a great article on this a few issues ago and good pics.....really big sneks out there and they reported small mammals are fast disappearing out of that area  and if the hunters cannot get the snake numbers down most of the mammals will be gone....
    Some time back I read 90% of the raccoon population was gone.    
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭
    I THINK I read in Florida, you can't shoot them but have to be taken alive and then "humanly" dispatched. IF they want to assist the other wildlife, they need to be able to shoot them, if I am right. That is just ignorant if true.
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭

Depends what area you're in. In the Everglades a shotgun is allowed on private property about anything you want to shot is allowed they do request that you do a brain shot

• Options
    gartmangartman Member Posts: 660 ✭✭✭
    They sell the meat too. Perhaps it keeps better if the snake is alive until they have time to dress it.