In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

More fun with the ATN scope.

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
Yup, got the new one.  It is new, the serial number is different.  Put it on the Ruger after following the charging instructions and the below fun.  Turned it on first to see battery state, it was 80%.  Shut it off and charged it per instructions.  Downloaded firmware "update"  checked version on scope and version on SD card update.  Same-same.
Powered down the scope for the evening.  Went to power it up the next day.  It would not power on.  Had to hold the hard reset (power button for 30 seconds)  heard the click, it powered up.  Tried it again, power it off, it will not turn back on unless hard reset.  For sheets and giggles inserted micro SD card with updated firmware. result, SSDD it still has to be hard reset to power up.
So, lets go shoot.  Got it on paper and found the one shot zero took 28 rounds to get dead on at 100 yards.  Problem, the day has scattered low clouds.  When it goes to bright sunshine on the shooter, (sun shade is installed) screen brightness is on max,  you can't see well enough to shoot.

Now for rifle fun, after 15 or so rounds I was getting Horizontal Stringing, mmmm.  Checked scope, yup, the Ruger Pic. base was loose.  It will not get loose again.  I used blue locktight on the screws with a wheeler torque driver and gel super glue on the base.  It will not come loose again unless it tears the whole shebang off the rifle.  The load is a mild one with 125 gr Speer TNT's and 8208 powder.
Overall impression?  I am not impressed with either the rifle or the scope.  Me thinks it might be fine on a 450BM but not gonna chance it, recoil and all.  Gonna put it on a spare .223 AR and let it be a safe queen for a reminder of what not to buy.  Over $1,000 invested in a safe queen I can't trust.  Oh well, it is what it is.
As Perry Shooter used to say, YMMV.

Comments

• Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    You're a patient man. If that were mine, it would be on a delivery truck to Kasey.....
    Safe Queens are one thing, boat anchors are another... I feel for you though, I've had a few that would have been better off throwing the money into a video poker machine.. Better luck next time.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

At least you got a new one, and it held up for at least 28 rounds.

I Hate getting taken. (Sorry Bruce.)

Reminds me of a Tablet deal I bought a few years back. (Digital 2) locked up after a few minutes use. Turns out it needed a "New "Jellybean" Operating Software System Update installed." They apparently knew this when it was shipped. Was directed to a link to accomplish the download/update. Couldn't make it happen, because I did not have a Computer. My friend and I spent hours on his, but could not make it happen. Grrr................................felt like choking someone.

Will gift it to a more tech savvy young un. Still have all the notes and the update link to get it done. Have a Worthless Tablet and accessories sitting there.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    84 the ATN factory use to be in your back door, may still be.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

I have 2 ATM scopes, not the newest models, though.

8 second power up.

Both are mounted on low recoil rifles - 22 rimfire and 300 BLK.

The 1-shot sight-in works! I had my doubts at first. I make sure everything is tight and I use a precision rest. It has a remote trigger release (which I have never used) and the rest secures to the bench.

I really enjoy the video and photo functions. I get pictures of critters with the crosshars on their chest without firing a shot.

Both scopes however, do have some minor problems. The WIFI function does not work. (I use a cable to view/copy the memorycard).

Bluetooth partially works. Sometimes it will download pics but realtime video is an empty promise. I would love for it to work.

The recoil activated video is hit or miss (I do not expect it to work on 22 and the Blackout is such light recoil...).

The scopes are big and heavy and with the infared attached they are too bulky to carry. And extra power supplies required. Stand hunting only. The coyotes are usually somewhere on the next ridge and I ain't climbing it in the dark with a 20 pound rifle.

I like the option of programming-in the ballistics of different loads then selecting 22rf or 300BLK sub-sonic or super-sonic. No scope adjustments required.

The range-finder does function although my shots are typically 35 yards +/-.

It is not a laser range finder - you must program the height of your particular target then bracket it between the lines.

I hope this may help. I'll post a pic or 2 when I get to my computer.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

My Norinco J-15 .22 rimfire bolt action rifle

Showed up one day with some assorted estate sale junk at the gunship - still in its factory box with all of the ephemera - appeared brand new and unfired and included a Northwest Territories 3-9X40 illuminated reticle scope (you can change the reticle to lit green or lot red - the illuminated part in line with and touching the existing standard reticle but offset a hair - this set up actually works quite well in cloudy or lower light conditions)

I am a .22 junkie so naturally I want another one - so after I unpack it and wipe it down and prepare to put a shelf tag / inventory tag on it I hand it to my boss - with the stock removed from the barreled action...

He looks it over and eyeballs it in a funny way - the shiny plastic looking stock has the weight and strength of balsa wood...

The barrel channel is misaligned approx 5° out of true to the left - and whomever tried to mount the action in the furniture forced it and ended up with a good foot long inch deep crack the length of the barrel channel...

There will be no application of marine epoxy - no router used to auger out a straight channel - no glass bedding of the cheap ugly now repaired stock made from some king of Asian over growth choke weed toxic leaf landfill tree...

As my boss shakes his head I am flipping through our stock duplicator guys catalog and see what I was looking for...

He hold up 4 fingers and says $40.00...

I nod in assent and pay the man.

I call our stock guy and mention his newly arrived second grade or flawed or second tier closeout stock list...

Walnut Claro XXXXX with California rollover cheek piece and Schnabel fore end - no checks or flaws or crack but shows signs of sap wood and has one branch excisement dime sized visual flaw that did not show up on the blank - not until close till final stages of duplication and negative material removal...

Closeout price $179.00 plus shipping.

So I called him and paid the man - told him to ship it.

Got on the phone with brownells and picked up a blued steel skeletonized butt plate with minor embellishment that shows about 40% of the wood - picked up a blued steel pistol grip cap estuchion with a raised flur de lis...

Found a sweet 1 1/2 inch wide heavy duty but supple thick black presentation style military rifle sling with shiny dark nickel hardware - ordered it along with matching sling swivel attachments

Meanwhile I test fired the gun - at 100 yds it was placing 10 rounds into a nickel or dime sized group depending on ammo - had a nice but stiff two stage military trigger.

Sent the barreled action to rebel in Florida - had a target counter bore recessed muzzle modification done - sent them a mess of real steel CZ magazines provided by a GB brother from Aussie land or new Zealand and they blueprinted the mags and Mag Wells and Mag release till it was like greased lightning and drop free.

I used the good set (yea olde) of stones and files and a dry natural sponge to do the trigger job - now releases at a hair over two pounds and is like breaking a rod of glass - and rebel bore scoped the gun to check that there were no rifling problems...

Rebel called and Joe says they hired a new guy who does plating and wire inlay and engraving and old style bluing - he is still in his probationary period and do I want anything...

So I asked for 12.5% nimske banknote or federal reserve style engraving on the action and the first 1 1/2" of the barrel - the first 3/4 inch of the muzzle end - the trigger guard and the butt plate and the bolt knob - he bills me $100.00

I have a short section of aluminum rail inset into the bottom of the for end back from the Schnabel fore end - with 4 spaced threaded holes for a champions choice .22 rimfire international match basic bipod...

After being stained the grain stands out like shiny black wire shot through the wood at great depth - I purchase a lockable rectangular transport headcase with 5 heavy duty closure latches (center latch locks) and spaces for two padlocks) the wood appears holographic and looks alive in the right light with a depth it cannot possibly possess - my gun club resident stock snob rich guy went nuts over it - wanted to know how much all in was I and had I passed $1000.00...

I also had a set of Williams puke nuke high vis yellow fiber optic firefights installed for and act - and an ace trigger shoe...

The gun shop owner says leave it be - it's close to perfect and balanced and it all comes together - don't spoil it.

I cannot help but wonder what I would have into the gun if I paid the full going rated for the work and the accessories and the shipping around and the original retail price...

I get asked to sell it each time I shoot it.

I guess that's one bass ackwards method of repairing it or setting it right - just kind of all came together all at once.

Mike

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I must make a correction for the sake of accuracy.  After letting the lock tight and gel superglue set I went back to the range, a 30 yard walk from my back door.  I hung a fresh target at 100 yards and got the sand bags set solid.  The first shot was 6" left dead on vertical.  I made the corrections and shot again.  A few more right clicks and a five shot group on a new bullseye are all touching dead center.  You can not see 30 cal bullet holes at 100 yards in the scope but I can handle that.  I might be a bit more impressed than I was before, the rifle still need broken in and a load developed.  I can't complain about 5 shots touching as it is.