In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Looking to Asia for reloading supplies

WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion

Are there any reputable brands of primer or projectile manufacturers in Asia? Or potentially Europe...

I have had a discussion with a business owner who thinks if we knew the right product/manufacturer to approach he could work importing them- specifically with Hong Kong as a hub.

This guy has lawyers and accountants and the works- so it would be done above board and complying with all ITAR laws.

I just need a place/manufacturer name to start with.

Cheers-

Comments

• Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I guess next time don't wait for a pandemic to purchase reloading supplies.
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

I’m not surprised you have nothing to add.

Its really not about me, its about finding a path to help others in the shooting community.

• nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    Hong Kong has been invaded by the PRC military.  Those who can afford to leave are going to Taiwan.
    Neal
  • chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,715 ✭✭✭✭
    Certainly there are countries that produce primers in Asia, the problem is getting them here. RWS, Norma, Fiocci as well as Wolf make primers. I have used all before and can say they work.
    I know primers are no where to be found right now. People have purchased all stock and if you want some be ready to pay gouger prices from independent sellers. We all have seen this before.
    Manufacturers are making them, but most are used for ammo. Can only assume the run on firearms and reloading supplies to go on until the end of the election. If Biden and the DEMOCRATs gain control,LOOK OUT!
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited August 2020
    Stocking up on primers or toilet paper - if you shoot a lot or s—- a lot, sooner or later you’re going to run out.
    I have what I consider an ample supply of components but it probably wouldn’t last some shooters a month.
  • spasmcreeksrunspasmcreeksrun Member Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭
    how sad and shortsighted to find our 2nd ammendment rights held hostage by asian production .....and wiped clean if the election goes wrong.........
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited August 2020
    Never mind a team of lawyers, to make this even remotely possible, you are going to need a Chinese business partner- someone fluent it Chinese and who fully understands Asian business practices, which are unique. I know a man who imported gun safes from China. He made it work because his wife is Chinese. 

Get you Chinese business partner lined up, then you can start worrying about getting a Type 08 FFL (Importer) and then  executing ATF Form 4587; Application to Register as an Importer of U.S. Munitions Import List Articles. If I recall, the cost of registration is $250 per year or $1000 for five years. 
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    We import quite a bit of ammunition from the Philippines.    Do they make their own primers or do they buy them.   Because if they buy them they are getting them from somewhere is Asia.   Armscor comes to mind.  You may back track from there and locate a source.
  • MrMag00MrMag00 Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    Just how difficult is it to make a primer? Some thin brass a good press and the ignition chemicals. One more layer to the relaxing reloading process. 
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    have you tried canada???   tenda canada, first place to come up on google, is showing large and small pistol primers in stock in the $50 dollar 1000 range, only they don't ship outside the country, seems you should be able to get some from across the border cheaper than from asia......
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    Be careful,  I bought a quantity of foreign primers for shotgun.  The diameter was a smite larger,  and all the hulls were destined to be used only with these primers.  The old primers would fall out.  You had to be careful not to mix the hulls or primers.
    edited August 2020
    Warbirds said:

I’m not surprised you have nothing to add.

Its really not about me, its about finding a path to help others in the shooting community.

Oh I got something to add but I don't want the two meanest administrators that's ever been on gun broker to jump on me. Those guys are scary.  :#
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    ALIBABA is the source for everything offshore.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited August 2020
    Settle down, gentlemen.

Play nice. 
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭

You are right. I was being rude.

Smitty’s one of the good ones, and I should behave myself.

My apologies to all.

Cheers-

• mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,373 ✭✭✭✭
    MrMag00 said:
    Just how difficult is it to make a primer? Some thin brass a good press and the ignition chemicals. One more layer to the relaxing reloading process. 
    You will also need a manufacturing license and some others licenses to turn those "ignition chemicals" and brass into usable primers.
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    mohawk600 said:
    MrMag00 said:
    You will also need a manufacturing license and some others licenses to turn those "ignition chemicals" and brass into usable primers.
    I'm not trying to be overly critical but you're showing a lack of understanding and sophistication regarding this micro-miniature sector of manufacturing. And most importantly:
    Why all the caution? Well, priming compound is a true high explosive.
    Here is the link to a reasonably understandable article:

Yes there are DIY instructions available to the public for making primers. Just make sure all your insurances are paid up and they cover explosives manufacturing...

Best.

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Making my own primers?? Sure, right after I get done reloading all these .22 long rifle cartridges.  :*
    Warbirds said:

Play nice. ","bodyRaw":"Settle down, gentlemen.

Play nice. ","format":"wysiwyg","dateInserted":"2020-08-30T02:46:13+00:00","insertUser":{"userID":313794,"name":"mark christian","photoUrl":"https:\/\/us.v-cdn.net\/6031683\/uploads\/userpics\/2ALY8QL0B9DE\/nHT9I1TX47ICV.jpg","dateLastActive":"2020-08-30T15:34:05+00:00","label":"******"},"displayOptions":{"showUserLabel":false,"showCompactUserInfo":true,"showDiscussionLink":false,"showPostLink":false,"showCategoryLink":false,"renderFullContent":false,"expandByDefault":false},"url":"https:\/\/forums.gunbroker.com\/discussion\/comment\/11211421#Comment_11211421","embedType":"quote"}"> https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/comment/11211421#Comment_11211421

You are right. I was being rude.

Smitty’s one of the good ones, and I should behave myself.

My apologies to all.

Cheers-

Ah shucks. I apologize to.   :)
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I have used Wolf Primers.

Man I looked at all the places I normally go to for reloading stuff and there are no primers in stock.  I wonder when the loading company's will catch up and will they due to hoarders and resellers buying up and then marking up like they did during the 22 debacle.

I have a good supply but not a life time supply.  Fortunately I don't shoot 1/2 as much as I used to so I am in good shape right now.

RLTW

• armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,478 ✭✭✭
    Sure did pay off to stock up years ago. :):):)
    edited August 2020
    Well armilite we're not surprised you have nothing to add.   

Sorry I just couldn't help myself.  :D
  • notnownotnow Member Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭
    From the looks of that 22lr reloader the bullets are to be cast. I'm wondering why they couldn't be pressed from a cut slug of lead wire.
  • yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 20,979 ✭✭✭✭
    Routing through HK seems like a pain but if you can swing it, cool. Who makes PMC primers? Somewhere in South Korea then maybe look there?