In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Took my son to the range for the first time

Gun eToolsGun eTools Member Posts: 14
Well, I took my 9 year old son out shooting for the first time.
Have a nice Sig 522 SWAT Commando that I bought right when he was born betting on the fact he will be a shooter. I also bought him a lifetime NRA membership too but that is another story.
We went to the local outdoor range and did a little bench rest shooting to about 50 yards.
Up to now all he was shooting is nerf, then bb and pellet guns. I have instilled in him the 4 rules of gun safety and even when using a nerf gun I always pointed out trigger discipline etc.
 So when he actually got to a real range he wasn’t overwhelmed with a whole bunch of information and could focus on the what was new mainly the environment, specifics of range rules dealing with the loud noise of a variety of guns going of nearby.
Over all he handled it very well.
Start out reviewing the rules and letting him acclimate to the surroundings. I loaded up the rifle and let him shoot it with the minimum of guidance to get a base line target.
Generally, he had trouble stabilizing the rifle and slapping the trigger a bit.
Once we were done we compared the progression of targets and he did remarkably well improving each time we switched targets employing new techniques to hit center.
We didn’t stay too long as I didn’t want any fatigue to infiltrate the enjoyment or progress.
I used a red dot but will use the iron sights next time. 
Gun eTools - Mobile App To Find Gun Store and Ranges, Curated industry news and GunBroker.com mobile

Comments