In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

MIKE WISKEY Rolling Block help please

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2020 in General Discussion
I have a Rem Rolling Block that has been converted to 16 ga and has a 37 1/2" barrel that measures .57 with my cheap plastic calipers and has good rifling left in the bore. Have you any idea what caliber it started out as??

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Another one.

Channeling Don.

• Options
    Not now. This is for grown ups. Go play with your dog.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020

A brief attempt at levity. I leave you Adults to it.

Have a nice day.

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    well.......according to that right-up posted earlier they were made in .58 berdan or some sutch. That .570" would be a 'tight' full choke for a 16 ga.
  • Options
    mrmike08075mrmike08075 Member Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭

Remington rolling block 3 line full length infantry rifle

Model 1867 rifle from Denmark

Bagladeriffel m/1867

Remington manufactured the initial run of 40,150 in Ilion NY 1867-1870 (the balance of the total approx 80,000 and change being finished in Kjobenhavens gevarfabrik district amongst a number of armory or private control manufacturies...

Later conversions seem to not have been counted as part of total model production but instead appear to have been excised or subtracted from the final numbers...

11.7X51R *Rimfire* primary chambering

The rolling block family of action is locked by shoulders on the hammer body engaging the underside of the radial breech block...

50.4" OAL

9.25 LBS empty

35.7" round non tapered medium profile barrel

5 groove right hand concentric rifling

Ramp and leaf combat elevator rear sight component graduated to 2000 Alen (approx 1370 yds) front sight thick stock rounded blade

1230 fps with m1867 ball cartridge (see paper patched hollow cavity special purpose long range match grade ammo)

M1867 saber bayonet

Straight wrist butt and for end with 3 spring retained steel band

The bayonet lug and tenon lay on the right side of the muzzle and underneath the middle and butt band are sling swivels

No stacking appointment unless attached sheathed bayonets were installed

The rear battle sight lays close to the receiver extending the focal plane - the leaf is hinged at the front

Rifle - engineer short rifle - naval infantry short rifle - artillery carbine - cavalry carbine - engineer carbine - scout scoped short rifle were all authorized production variants

In 1893 they converted some surplus or set aside stock to 8X58R

In 1896 they converted approx 3000 to a new cavalry carbine pattern for service use prior to the new Krag carbines reaching troop level TOE issue - chambered in an newly adapted 11.7x51R *Rimmed center fire* cartridge along the original lines of the beloved 1500 Alen carbine. Added was a new butt stock that had an integral all aluminum ammo box built into the furniture with a hinged lid holding 10 rounds. These guns were extremely popular and considered a well designed quick to fire accurate piece and remained in service till 1914 and saw wartime usage prior to the long awaited Krag carbines arrival on the scene...

Perhaps some of this will prove helpful - I greatly enjoy my variant.

Mike

• Options

So inquiring minds want to know - and prying eyes wish to see pics with detailed closeups at action and markings...

Don't leave us hanging.

Mike

• Options
    It's gonna be a little while Mike. I have two rolling blocks here, one a Danish and the other that may or may not be a 16 ga. I think it started as a sporting rifle but they both need more research before I list them. 
  • Options

Think .58 Snider for the 16 gauge if it's a Danish Remington contract piece...

I know you still have to do the research and take the pictures and post up auction pages with descriptions and that these jobs take time to be done right and responsibly per rules and sellers ethics...

And while you certainly don't reach out directly much to me or bother me I have volunteered to assist you and other sellers on nailing down the details of for sale auction items...

I enjoy the work - I enjoy the learning - and it gives me pride to offer up an assist and feel like I made a contribution.

No rush but I consider you to be a peer and a colleague and amongst my circle of friends and would always be glad to participate in fact finding research.

I greatly look forward to your posted pics.

So feel free to hit me up and poke the bear.

Mike