In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Like him or not, the man could rock a stage.

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭

Comments

• Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,234 ✭✭✭✭
    He was a great entertainer.  Unique.  I was a high school kid in Atlanta in the sixties, he was just down I 20 in Augusta so I watched his career closely.
    In my Junior year one of my buddies from the football team, Larry O'Neal, did a lip synch of "Pappa's Got a Brand New Bag" live on stage for the Mr. Chamblee High talent show.  Larry had on blackface and an afro wig.   He was great!
    I would pay a hundred bucks today to have a good video of Larry doing that song.

Of course, Liberals would call Larry a racist for wearing black face.  As usual they would be wrong.  Larry did  it as a tribute to the great James Brown.  He wasn't making fun of him he was paying homage to him.
    I can still see Larry up on stage, he sings the line "...like a boomer--Ang!"    And Larry pretended to throw a boomerang out to the audience.
  • Options
    jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,653 ******
    A lot of acts “stole” his stuff right up through the ‘80’s. 
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Yeah he liked to rock his wife also. The old god father of soul having a bad hair day after a rough night in jail for a little domestic violence. What's not to like.

• Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,934 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ltcdotyltcdoty Member Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭
    I like that the several days he was laid out at his funeral, he had a different suit on each day...
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I was never a big fan of his but he could rock.

I am more of a 60's psychedelic or peace rock and southern rock fan.

Give me the 4 tops or the inkspots for motown anyday
    RLTW

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,476 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm with you, Sam. 
    Wide range of likes that did not include James Brown, but I recognize his talent.

Give me the Drifters any day of the week.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele