In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Don't forget your batteries.

Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
They are gonna get scarce and therefore more expensive.

Comments

• Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I've still got some left from 2 disasters ago. What's up next? Is it locust or frogs this time?
  • Options
    Why are food , ammo, guns and other stuff. 
  • Options
    US Military GuyUS Military Guy Member Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭✭
    why are they going to get scarce?
    I recently read on an internet forum they were going to get scarce. 
    https://forums.gunbroker.com/discussion/1894373/dont-forget-your-batteries#latest

People read things like that and rush to buy them before they can't get them (even though they don't need them).  The rushed demand cause them to become scarce.
    :D

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    ive read that people are going to get scarce, so im looking for some to hoard.
  • Options
    Then don't buy anything. I remember a guy who lived three houses down from me two years ago walking around telling me and my next door neighbor how he didn't have any food and both of his cars had 1/2  tank of gas. Oh  and needed to get to Conn. or Rhode Island or some such place. We had all known for a week this storm was coming and it would be bad and had been preparing for it. Not this guy. 
    So just don't do anything. I was just trying to help but on reflection I don't really care that much. I use a lot of 123 batteries for flashlights and weapon sights so the stuff I am buying will be used unless I die first, as will the food and other stuff. And just because "people read things like that" doesn't make  any difference if you can't find things you need. The reason they are in short supply doesn't matter. 
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    If we evacuate I'm going to Kens and eating up his Spam if Buddy will let me!

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

When my next door neighbor/buddy found out I had bought a bunch of 123 batteries a few years back, he wanted to know if he could buy some from me. (Just like my .22 rounds and other ammo when things got tight.) A bunch of past gunshows we had went to, he/they were always focusing on buying the latest greatest firearm. I'd be searching for and running down magazines and ammo.

What killed me is that he wanted to buy at what I had paid, not what it would take to replace.

Uhh............................................................................................no.

Mogley, I'd be proud to share a can of SPAM with you. (After you left, we'd bust out the Steaks.) 😉

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    I grow, harvest and preserve a lot of food.  Turkeys, deer and other yummy critters are in good supply. Ammo?  Yea, I gots that plus enough reloading supplies for a long time of constant shooting.  Jacketed bullets are well stocked and cast bullet can be made with the 2,000 pounds of wheel weights and 500 pounds of Linotype on hand.  I also have bullet molds, and gas checks for all calibers from 22 to 458 diameter.  I still have a three pound coffee can of 50/50 alox bees wax and all the sizing dies needed for them.
  • Options
    I cast a lot of bullets when I was young. I remember sitting in a single wide trailer with a lyman lead pot and several four cavity molds. God knows what my lead level was then.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,188 ✭✭✭✭
    Stocking up on vital supplies is smart when there's an identified reason - like an approaching hurricane.
    Stocking up because some bozo on the internet says to? Not quite as smart.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Rocky Brother, I have been stocking up for many years, because it seemed to be the proper course of action and prudent. I have not started "stocking up because some bozo on the internet said to."

Conduct yourself as you see fit. All I know, is that I am prepared for most anything that comes, and that is a good feeling.

• Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    Being prepared with basics, shelter, food, water, power, medical supplies and a means of self defense or hunting does not seem to be unreasonable to me or driven by internet panic.  During my starving years, when my money was stolen, I had great comfort knowing at least I had the above mentioned supplies available for me and mine.  It was never a panic deal, it was never OMG there is "X" going on, it was just thinking ahead looking forward to a brighter future where we could all look back and say...... "Do you remember when"
  • Options
    I did approve of it when there's a reason, please note.
    Somebody posting that there's going to be a shortage of...oh, maybe pickled okra... is not a reason.
  • Options
    Sir if you are referring directly to my posting please accept my apology if I offended you. I don't sell batteries and don't give a tinker's damn if anyone ever buys another.
  • Options
    Not offended in the least, Ricci, and I hope that is reciprocal.
  • Options
  • Options
    Smitty500magSmitty500mag Member Posts: 13,603 ✭✭✭✭
    I can remember people on this forum making fun of people that were stocking piling supplies a few years ago and making fun of their aluminum foil hats. My how times have changed. 
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    I can remember people on this forum making fun of people that were stocking piling supplies a few years ago and making fun of their aluminum foil hats. My how times have changed. 
    I have an aluminum sleeping cap..........what is so weird about that? I don't want the govt tapping into my brain through my amalgum fillings.
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I will confess to stockpiling against future needs.  Mainly Bourbon and Scotch, a bit of Vodka, few bottles of Merlot, a little Burgundy, some sweet Muscadine......
    What- the copper tubing?  Emergency plumbing repairs.  Yep, plumbing. Never know when you might spring a leak.
    (walks away humming Copperhead Road)