In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

ATV

SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
I bought a used 2006 model Artic Cat 400 yesterday.   Basic model with an automatic transmission full time 4wd.    It has a Suzuki engine in it.   I've road a few ATVs but haven't owned one.   This one is in good shape.  It was bought new as part of a pair for a couple of youngsters and then parked in a barn after not much use it seems.  

I bought it off of a state trooper who fixed it up after buying both of them from some people he knows.   New carburetor, filters, oil change, battery, snorkel.  He had ordered new bushings for the exhaust mounts but hadn't got them yet.    Seat and plastic are in good shape and the original tires aren't worn much so the machine has had limited use.  It has front and rear racks on it.   Seemed like a good buy to get started with versus a new machine.  He had the original user manual and two keys  and given the looks of it the back story seems accurate.

I bought it so my son would have something to ride here at the house and I may use it for some hunting etc.    Of course it's another piece of equipment to keep up with, runs well for now.  We'll see how much use it gets.

Comments

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    They’re good machines. Just don’t leave old gas in it like I did mine.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    Plenty of power,  I have a 500 and cant imagine any bigger for my use.  The Suzuki engine is one of the best.  They came out with the first ATV.  You should enjoy it.
  • JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,385 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a 750  and got rid of it. Ate gas,  tires,  heavy and didnt need that much.  
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭✭

Been running an old 1995 Yamaha Timberwolf 250 since 1997 . Rebuilt the carb once . Other than that still chugging along . Does what I need to do hunting and fishing ..

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭

i used to ride with a guy that had an Arctic Cat 400 4wd. It was a great combination of size, weight, and power for recreational use. He loved the independent suspension too.

Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    Whatever you do be careful! Nothing between you and the ground is you. I've owned 2 Quads over the last 13 years, and went butt over teakettle on both of them. Do to my stupidity. Good lord must have a liking for me. As I didn't wind up in the hospital, and was able to walk away each time. 

Lot of serious and fatal accidents, are reported in this area each year. With folks on 4 wheelers. Take it slow and easy at first, until you know what your doing. Be really careful on hills,  which have been my personal undoing over the years.
  • SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    I appreciate the advice and encouragement.   The machine seems to have enough power for me and I'm fairly large right now.   I've just rode it around the house here with just a few small hills and low grades.   I've ordered a few small things I noticed it needs, like the exhaust mount bushings.   It's an oil cooled machine and runs 5 1/2 quarts of 0w40, I'll need to pick up some of that.  I would like to have a couple of spare wheels and tires for it and I'll need to put a tool kit together.   I guess I'll need a front mount box of some kind to carry things in.
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,119 ✭✭✭✭
    get yourself a tire plug kit, handiest thing out on trail if you run stick or thorn through tire, plug it and more often than not make it back home......small hand pump as you only need 5-10lbs to get back on
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    I recommend Green Slime (or whatever they call that stuff).  We have goat heads, and those things will hole a tire in just about anything and that stuff really works!  Haven't had a flat since.  I'd put that stuff in my truck tires if I didn't think my tire guy would throw me outta' his joint for putting stuff in tires.  But it really does work.  Used to have a couple flats a week, and now we haven't had a flat in years since putting that stuff in there.
    Around here, we call that Green Slime "Camel Snot"!  :#  We don't have goatheads, but a black locust thorn will pierce an almost anything, and they are 2+ inches long. 
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    I've not had good results using "plugs" alone but using a plug PLUS sealer often works for a while.