In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Stainless Ruger Security Six "Low Back" 151 Series?

dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,162 ✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in Ask the Experts

This started out as helping someone find grips for an earlier "low back" Ruger Security Six and has turned in to a bit of a mystery.  Not my gun, don't even know the person who owns it.  Here's a link to the conversation:

http://www.rugerforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=289570&p=2891109#p2891109

The gun is a "low back" (AKA '150 series') Ruger Security Six.  These were made from 1972 to 1975.  The stainless version, which this is, came out in 1975 and would be of that series with a "151 prefix".  However the serial number is not a "151" prefix and is clearly hand stamped - as in, die set and hammer quality.  Which leads to a few possibilities, some of them legal.

Setting aside any legal issues (I don't mean to dismiss them as unimportant, just outside the discussion for now) given that a series 150 or 151 is uncommon, and that a stainless 151 would be even more uncommon, any significant value to the gun?  Also, what of the serial numbering - definitely not the usual Ruger factory type.  Any idea on how it would have gotten there - factory correction on replacement gun, early model or manufacture?  Gunsmith applied for some reason?

The OP was looking only for "where do I get the correct grips?" to be addressed and that's been accomplished.  The rest is just curiosity.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,649 ✭✭✭
    IMHO, would be quite valuable. If it can be established that it came from the Ruger factory. With that serial number. 

If it can't? Very problematic, could cause a lot of trouble, for current or future owners. 
  • jimbo1096jimbo1096 Member Posts: 68 ✭✭
    IMHO that is a "hand stamped" serial #, not factory, and unless documented by BATF, is an illegal firearm. And unless accompanied by the proper paperwork from the BATF, would earn you time in jail just from possession.