In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

New Gun - New Gun Owner - Jamming Mechanism

Sam HowSam How Member Posts: 2
Hello. I just unboxed my first ever firearm. It's a Remington 572. I have shot a few times before, but not much.
I don't currently own a cleaning kit but I have ordered one that should be here in a week. All I did so far was spray a little Rem Oil into the receiver via the ejection port pointing down the barrel and some onto the ejection area as well. Took about 60 test shots.

It appears to shoot well so far, at least at the 25ft away target I used for testing. The pump action is a little stiff, but I have read to expect that in a new gun. The big issue is the reload action. It jams a lot! It ejects just fine, but when it goes to bring the new bullet into the chamber and I pull forward the bullets ends up either straight on to the chamber hole but gets stuck in the front in some part I can not see and I have the bring the action back and try again or it ends up pointed up at and angle and jammed forward nowhere near the opening it needs to go into.

Both of the 22 shorts I have (Remington & Aguila) jam when I pump the action MOST of the time. Now I recognize I am new to this, but I have tried to make sure I am pumping with full front to back fluid motions. More force seams help a little, but sometimes when I use too much force it really jams it and I have to pop them out with a screwdriver.

The Federal 22 LR I have is not much better. I had the best luck with the Lapua 22LR (which are expensive) and feel like they have some lubrication on them, so perhaps that points to some of my issues.

Comments

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Without actually having the rifle it is hard to say for sure. That used to be a fine rifle, unfortunately Remington has  been turning out some really crappy firearms in the last few years. If it is new you may end up returning it to Remington for repairs. First try some different ammo. I suggest CCI Minimags, or Winchester Dynapoints.  If that doesn't help  have a gunsmith look at it. It may just be something simple. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    Bunch of U Tube videos on the 572, might consider checking them out.  Other than that I agree with Ricci, about trying different ammo. If you can even find some for sale? I suggest CCI Stingers. They have a tapered, radiused point. That might help, with your feed problems?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    It could possibly be that it's just dirty. Factory new guns should be cleaned, since they are shipped with something to protect them from rusting, some new guns could sit on the shelf for years. 22lr is also the dirtiest round to shoot, IMO. Between the factory grease, the oil that you squirted in, and the wax on some 22lr bullets, it could easily cause the issue that you are describing.
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    Go easy on the Rem Oil. That stuff is too slippery for its own good. When your cleaning gear arrives, field strip and clean the rifle and then lubricate it lightly with CLP or conventional gun oil. Most .22 rifles and pistols are very particular about ammo, so as my colleagues have suggested, try a few brands. When you find something that actually works, stick with it. 

It seems that Durham71 disagrees with me- yes, unlike forum members, I can read all of the disagrees. What's the beef Durham? are you a sales rep for Remington? 
  • Options
    Sam HowSam How Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2020
    Thanks all. I am going to try these suggestions. Here is a video of the problem in action in case it answers some questions and a spent 22short round. Any logic to the fact that it seems to affect the shorts more than the longs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGTksAAgLvI

• Options
    TANK78ZTANK78Z Member Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭
    wow .. it shouldn't take that much effort to load /chamber a round, could be the action has a lot of metal filings, or unfinished/unfit  parts installed. Remember with this rifle not working properly at all , a round going off when chambering is a dangerous possibility .
     If it were mine I would wait till the cleaning kit comes, meanwhile look for a good video that shows how to properly partially disassemble for a proper full cleaning.  Afterwards lube it liberally , reassemble and work the action several dozen, or more times without ammo.

Then use some gun scrubber to remove the excess lube and re-lube  with the proper amount, retest the action without ammo and see if the action has improved any. If it has, go to the range with several different  brands of 22's if one or two work well, stick with them for several hundred rounds, then experiment with others. If no joy... it needs to go back to Remington. call them and request service, and hope it goes easy, good luck.