In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ricci et al.

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
OK some think the Herritage single action 22 is made of pot metal and not a quality piece.  Given that may be, what other inexpensive single action 22's would you guys recommend?   Accuracy isn't priority #1 but staying in one piece when firing is.  I'm too old and poor for a hospital stay.
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Ruger single six and be done with the guessing.
  • dunbarboyzdunbarboyz Member Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭✭
    Ruger Wrangler!

• Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    Bite the bullet and buy a Ruger Single Six. You should be able to pick up a good used one for $350.00 or less. Yes that is a lot more than a new model of some other guns but it is well worth it. I have one old model that I have shot 5 shot groups of under an inch at 25 yards. And it will last longer a sales conference call if you take of it.
    By the way. I don't remember ever seeing a Heritage revolver blow up and I don't know how well they shoot. I'm guessing they must be ok or they wouldn't have sold so many. Just don't put one beside a good Ruger and not expect to be disappointed.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    Ruger Single Six but if price is an issue Ruger Wrangler.
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    Point well taken Ricci.  I was being a little dramatic in my post.  However, you spoke of pot metal in a disparaging way and I also consider pot metal as something that I personally am not comfortable in containing an explosion.    Maybe the Herritage isn't so bad after all and your point really was the price. 
    There is absolutely a difference in quality as well as price. Buy the Ruger Single Six. 
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******

As Grasshopper has posted before, the Heritage is not allowed for sale in Illinois anymore because of the pot metal content. Think Saturday night special

The $200 price point of the Ruger Wrangler is tempting but, I’ll take an old Single Six for a few dollars more and I have. 😉

That being said, I plan on saving and then using my Scheels points on a Wrangler for basically free

Only $125 more to go. 😉

• shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭

Sold hundreds of Heritages over the years. Never had one come back with a real problem. They are fairly crude, not the most accurate but they work.

Sold a couple hundred Wranglers since they came out, haven't had a ton of feedback on them but they must work decent as well or I'd know with returns.

Either one is fine for a sub $200 beater, you can probably find Heritages for $130 or so new actually.

• KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

"I have 4 Heritage Rough Riders, all purchased off GB. They are a fantastic gun for the money. I have one with a 9" barrel and it shoots into 2" at 25 yards with mini-mag ammo. Two 6 1/2 inchers which will shoot into 3-4" and are in a two-gun belt rig with a 4 3/4" just to round things out. Anything I can see out to over 100 yards I can come pretty close to, if not hit it. I had to do a little file work on the sights to get them 1" high at 25 yards.

Two of these guns I got when I threw out low bids just for fun and ended up winning the auctions. Put over 2000 rds through the six inch guns with no problems, with 950 rds through the 9". The short barrel gun has only shot 100 rounds. I thought I would hate a safety on a revolver but I like it. You will have a ton of fun with one of these revolvers."

-Kannoneer-

"The Heritage has a flipup safety on the cylinder that is hard to get used to. Other than that it is a well made gun that is worth having."

-JimmyJack-

If bought local for $130ish, i would have had to pay 7.25% +/- plus travel time/gas. Gets me right back to what I am paying. I like buying off of GB and giving my local FFL a transfer.

I had not really researched the Heritage or the Ruger Wrangler. I had 4 minutes to get to the auction and enter a bid when I spotted the Heritage. I like the wood grips over the Wrangler. Total with shipping and transfer gets me a tad below the Wrangler. I wanted an inexpensive plinker, Sounds like I'm going to be satisfied with it.

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    If I didn't already have this Colt Frontier Scout picked up cheap on the auction side a few years ago, I'd buy a Ruger Wrangler.

Dude a couple of bucks don't mean nothing. If you enjoy the pistola what difference does it make. It's not like you will ever hit anything you are actually aiming at anyway.

Thanks I think.

Kannoneer makes it sound pretty decent for an inexpensive plinker, accuracy wise.

• drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭
    while it may not split holes at 50 yards, it should kill all those beer cans lying around the yard...........
    I think he better start with beer kegs.
    edited September 2020

CBXjeff - research on the Heritage indicates Steel barrel and Cylinder, Aluminum alloy frame. The parts that would contain an "explosion" are Steel. The frame must be the "Pot metal" people are refering to. (?)

(The Ruger Wrangler also has an Aluminum alloy frame.)

Thanks for all the input guys.  I'm watching a couple of Heritage pistols on the auction side.  Yes, I see that a good used Ruger single six isn't much more. What I didn't mention is that I bought a Ruger single six convertible, never fired, about 15+ years ago. I just wanted to get something fairly inexpensive so I don't mind if it gets a scratch, dent, etc. I'll start watching used Ruger's also on the auction side.

• mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    cbxjeff said:
    OK some think the Herritage single action 22 is made of pot metal and not a quality piece.  Given that may be, what other inexpensive single action 22's would you guys recommend?   Accuracy isn't priority #1 but staying in one piece when firing is.  I'm too old and poor for a hospital stay.

Shot hundreds of rounds through my Heritage rough rider never an issue, heck its only .22 :)
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    I've never had a Heritage rough rider so i can't speak about them  but I do have several old model 3 screw Ruger Single Six and several new models along with one  Ruger Wrangler,
    IF  low cost is not a issue then go with a Single Six ,  the Wrangler is a good little six gun,  shoots very well but does have a very hard to open loading gate that could be a problem for older hands  and the front sight needs to be painted so you can see it easier 
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    The only 22 revolver I've got left is a very rough Ruger Bearcat with 2 cylinders, one 22LR the supposed to be 22WRM ... I took it on trade so long ago I've forgotten what, I really didn't want it but it sweeten the deal, and thought it would be a something for teaching pistol with my grand kids.  Turns out the joke was on me as it wont go bang and the other cylinder wouldn't even fit in the gun. 
    I've heard Rugers lifetime warranty would get it repaired but I've never sent one in and dont know how to start the process ... or if its even a thing any longer. 

If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    KimberKid. Good to see you posting again. 
    Since many are talking Ruger, I have looked at their website as well as our auction side and wonder  why the price difference between the Single 6 and the Wrangler.  About the only thing I see looking at the description is the adjustable sight on the Single 6.  There must be more than that.

I'm thinking Aluminum alloy on the Wrangler frame vs. Steel for the Single six Jeff. The Wrangler is also black Cerakoted, not blued. Just an educated guess. I am sure someone will be along with the definitive answer shortly.

You can only build a quality revolver so cheaply. I have never put a hand on a Ruger Wrangler but I feel sure that it exists because Ruger realized that they were loosing sales of their higher quality but more expensive single action rimfire revolvers. I do know that  any of the Ruger .22 revolvers, with the exception of possibly the Wrangler, are better guns than the Heritage guns. That being said the Heritage guns satisfy many folks who have them. Not everyone wants a steel Ruger and that's just fine.  I just read a test on the Wrangler from American Rifleman and they liked it. So it must be pretty decent especially for a $200.00--$250.00 gun.
  • redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭✭
    kimberkid said:
    The only 22 revolver I've got left is a very rough Ruger Bearcat with 2 cylinders, one 22LR the supposed to be 22WRM ... I took it on trade so long ago I've forgotten what, I really didn't want it but it sweeten the deal, and thought it would be a something for teaching pistol with my grand kids.  Turns out the joke was on me as it wont go bang and the other cylinder wouldn't even fit in the gun. 
    I've heard Rugers lifetime warranty would get it repaired but I've never sent one in and dont know how to start the process ... or if its even a thing any longer. 

I would NOT send that into Ruger , IF it's a true Bearcat with both correct cylinders even in it's current condition it might be worth a fair amount,  
    I would try to check with the folks on, either of the Ruger Forum  .com or .net and see what they have to say
    I don't think the little Bearcat ever came with a .22 Mag. cylinder. 
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think the little Bearcat ever came with a .22 Mag. cylinder. 

It didn't.

People tried to make them and a few Gunsmiths did one off mods but it was not a standard option.
    RLTW

Isn't the bore larger for a .22 Mag. that a  .22 LR. ???
  • Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Ricci the bullets are the same diameter but the case of the 22wmr is larger in diameter than the 22lr.  A 22lr will fit in the cylinder of a 22wmr and fire but it will split. The 22wmr will not fit in the cylinder of the 22lr because it is larger in diameter and obviously longer too.
    RLTW

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    I'm getting a good education on the quality of 22 revolvers here with this post!  I know my little High Standard Double Nine has been a very dependable plinker for all the fun I have had out in my backyard range.  I bought it from a buddy a little over a year ago for a whopping 125 bucks and the little pistol looked like it wasn't shot much.

I like the fact that I get 9 shots and my accuracy keeps on improving the more time I spend with it depleting my 22LR stash!    
    I haven't had much experience with the Double Nine, but if HS built it then it's quality. I know the double action Sentinel revolver much better. It was designed by a guy named Harry Sefried, a HS designer who came up with some good stuff. Your gun should have a small rectangular cut  by each cylinder. They were put there so the gun could be safely dry fired without having the firing pin slam into the cylinder there by peening it and inducing misfires. 
    Ricci, better dig a litter deeper in the into the ole bearcat book of knowledge in regard to the 22 mag info.
    Ruger made the super bear cat with 22 mag cylinder, that's why.
    You are right Sir. I have never seen or remember reading about them but apparently Ruger did produce a small number of Bearcats in 1993 with both cylinders and then recalled all of the mag cylinders. You have to understand I was just a wee child in 1993, much too young to be handling firearms. 🙄🙄🙄🙄
    Dang you are a pup.
    Super bear cats with extra cylinder are rare and price reflects that. Have found a few on line for buyers.
    Most were recalled and magnum cylinders were kept  by Ruger. Hard to pin down the exact reason for the recall.

"Dang you are delusional."

Fixed it for you.

There you go again with those long fancy words.