In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Waterfall Trip hopefully phase one Pics PS what is the trick to use Imgur?

mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
So wife and I made a quick decision to hit the hills, we headed out Thursday and rolled into the Sky Top Apple Orchard around 1:30, 

no crowds bought two dozen Apple Cider Doughnuts hot and fresh, these things are like pillows you could probably squish one down to pea size. I ate three :) and had a glass of cold cider, we bought some apples and headed out towards Flat Rock.
We stopped for a bite to eat at Camp Fire Grill in Flat Rock part of the Hubba Bubba Smokehouse and had a excellent lunch of Salmon and crab cakes. Highly recommend!
Then we went to the tasting room at the St. Paul's winery we always visit and hob nobbed with Martha and Merideth for a while.
Next stop the Oskar Blues brewery for some Pub choices and a sandwich
then off to bed.
Got up early and rolled into the first roadside waterfall easiest waterfall in WNC LOL but the recent rains made it much better.
On the way to Pumpkintown and Table Rock I couldn't resist stopping at Connestee falls, we've stopped before but again a super easy access falls worth seeing.
Pumpkintown Opera is a neat little gift shop, COVID has it buttoned up some but cool to see.
Then a very easy hike out to the trail heads at Table Rock,
it was too wet to try the full hike so we did a little fall called Carrick creek and then headed on to Twin Falls.
Twin Falls is really nice awesome, easy to get to and less than a 1/2 mile walk in. The pics don't do it justice as if you are there in person. Bad photographer and bad light.
Last stop was Bald Rock, SCDNR is considering closing it due to vandalism, lots of painted areas unbelievably big rock face right off the road. Some people say if you have the right MOJO to see spirits you can see a image of a ghost couple who got married and were taking pictures there and got lost in the fog and fell off. Personally I don't see anything in the 1st picture but a painted rock!  2nd photo is me wifey and you can see my Truck at the bottom.

Really looking forward to the possibility of a phase II trip with color from the trees in a couple weeks, TBD.

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I like you mogley.

I would caution you against posting "I did this," type posts with your disability status.

It could come back to bite you Sir. Just saying.

• Options
    edited September 2020
    No worries

• Options

Not the dreaded PM. 😯

Nothing on this end mogley.

• Options
    edited September 2020

Tried messaging you through GB system must not be working? Anyway thanks for the obviously great advice but my disability won't be impacted by my ability to walk a bit. Compassionate allowance. 
  • Options
    montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 58,026 ******
    Great pictures, thanks for sharing.  
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Upper East Tn./W NC falls. (Recommended)

Linville gorge, Elk falls, Dennis cove falls. . All are excellent. Go to Grandfather Mtn. & do the foot suspension bridge. Not to be missed.

If you come this way, maybe Butchdog2 and myself can meet up with you'uns for some Vittles.

• Options

Linville gorge, Elk falls, Cades cove. All are excellent. Go to Grandfather Mtn. & do the foot suspension bridge. Not to be missed.

If you come this way, maybe Butchdog2 and myself can meet up with you'uns for some Vittles.

Thanks Ken, been to Linville area really like Toms Creek falls bear little Switzerland too, got Elk river falls on the list and did grandfather mountain a couple years ago. I have booked Oct 16/17 but we will be down in the Flat Rock area for that trip if it goes through.
  • Options
    edited September 2020

Dennis Cove Falls can accessed via a hiking trail (AT?) from Hampton, TN. You turn off the main road going through Hampton turn off, and drive up Dennis Cove road to get pretty far back up in there.

Beautiful falls. Camped there at the base a couple days about 1985ish.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    84 I think that is Dennis Cove not Cades Cove. Laurel Fork is there to, they both may have some waterfalls.
     Cades Cove is in Townsend, TN, there are a few waterfalls there located at the far end of the park
    By the way there are 2 Elk River Falls, one just Below Elk Park and the other just below where I live. Called Twisting or Compression falls by non locals.
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

The wildlife in Cade’s cove defy description . Only place I have been within 15 foot of large bucks who didn’t instantly run

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,533 ✭✭✭✭
    Beautiful area.
    Looks like a fun trip.
  • Options

Yes Butchdog2 you are correct Sir. Dennis Cove in Hampton. That is actually the name of the road that heads back up in to there. Thank you Sir.

• Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    You are quite welcome.
    You fellows don't quit using those long fancy words I am going to have learn proper English.
    Big difference in that and fluent red neck. Although I am familiar the word flatulence, seems to be some of that quite often around here. Ha ha.
    Cades Cove, went there may times when the kids were small, at least 35 years ago. Critters every where, even had a good friend that would lay down under the fence where the deer would cross from the woods into the open fields. He has many pictures of big bucks as they jumped the fence, beat all I ever seen.
    About the same time of day you would look out into the big meadows, may be over grown now, and see nothing, look away for a few minutes then look and the fields would be full of deer. Rangers would close the entrance gate late in the evening but we knew the way to keep circling back and all but had the park to ourselves. The good ole days gone by.
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,247 ✭✭✭✭
    Pumpkintown,Table Rock? You may have driven right by my home.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    buddyb said:
    Pumpkintown,Table Rock? You may have driven right by my home.

You live in an awesome area, we are going back mid Oct to check out some more falls if I can
  • Options
    Cling2mygunsCling2myguns Member Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭

Linville gorge, Elk falls, Dennis cove falls. . All are excellent. Go to Grandfather Mtn. & do the foot suspension bridge. Not to be missed.

Don't forget Brevard NC, Transylvania county has 300 waterfalls. We have gone to DuPont State park twice so far, one of our favorites.
  • Options

Don't forget Brevard NC, Transylvania county has 300 waterfalls. We have gone to DuPont State park twice so far, one of our favorites.

Dupont we did High Falls, triple falls, Hooker falls, and bridal veil all in one day :):smile:
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the great trip and photos!!!
    What's next?
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,309 ******

I like you mogley.

I would caution you against posting "I did this," type posts with your disability status.

It could come back to bite you Sir. Just saying.

huh?
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain