In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

East Texas Yard Nature - Fall 2020

Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭

Yesterday afternoon I went out on the Tarmac (aka Driveway) to assess how much pine straw and leaves I would need to deal with when I mow on Sunday after Church. I was walking along the North edge of the driveway, looking out in the grass, to see if any pine cones needed to be removed before mowing. While I was standing at one spot, assessing what I needed to do, I happened to look down and about two feet from my left foot was a tightly coiled young Copperhead on the driveway. When I was walking down the edge of the driveway, the Copperhead just looked like a large, colorful, Sassafras leaf. I’m reminded of the old saying, “if it had been a snake, it would have bitten me”! I killed another baby Copperhead about 3 weeks ago and now this more mature, but still young Copperhead. These were the first Copperheads we’ve seen on our side of the County Road since we moved here in 2006. I'm really surprised this one didn't try to nail my leg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Here is the before picture, you probably don’t need to see the obvious after picture!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

Comments

• Options
    varianvarian Member Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭✭
    looks fat.  can see why they are hanging around.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

Bill, it's been my experience that a Copperhead, large or small, will not usually strike unless you get within, or inside of about a foot of it. Not something that I did on purpose either time. Glad you are safe!!!

What's next?
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    dcon12 said:
    I really need something else for a size comparison. Can you put your hand down there by the snake? Don
    Or a thumb or toes would also be ok for size comparison.
    Hold your breath when placing your toes or fingers next to their body and them little un's won't usually bite because they have tender teeth and gums and really just want a friend.
    If you are really religious you can dance with them also.
  • Options
    dcon12 said:
    I really need something else for a size comparison. Can you put your hand down there by the snake? Don
    Sorry, Don, but the pine straw will have to suffice; just use your imagination!  :)

• Options
    kimi said:

Bill, it's been my experience that a Copperhead, large or small, will not usually strike unless you get within, or inside of about a foot of it. Not something that I did on purpose either time. Glad you are safe!!!

Thanks, James! When I took the picture I used my iPhone and instead of zooming in, I moved the iPhone within about 12 inches of the dang thing and afterwards thought to myself, that was stupid! In retrospect, I'm surprised it didn't strike at that point!!!!  :o

• Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,013 ******
    It's a young Cottonmouth.  Same genus as the Copperhead, Agkistrodon, and the young look very similar.
  • Options

David's probably right from what I can see on my old iPhone. You're lucky he did not strike! I've had my hand within a foots distance of a Copperhead, and he was about to nail me, but I withdrew my hand just in time.

What's next?
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭
    Yep, a baby cottonmouth.
  • Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    While I hate to see any snake killed, there are times and places when it's understandable. This seems to be one of them, Old-Colts. He was a cute little booger though. Just trying to get warm, no doubt.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Copperheads and Timber Rattlesnakes scare the Bejeezus out of me. There are quite a few in our area. Our little community/holler is known for them. Used to be a lot of mines up in here. (Miningtown Rd.) My guess is because there are a lot of dens to winter in. As well as the wooded mountainous terrain. Few people.

My next door neighbor kills Copperheads sunning on his deck on a regular basis. Lots of skins on display inside his house, as well as a plethora of mounts. Deer, fox, bobcat, fin and feather.

About a 40" Timber rattlesnake run over at the end of my drive last year. (Strange greenish color.)

Very careful when I am in the woods around my place. Looking closely and paying attention to where my feet go.

• Options
    Rocky RaabRocky Raab Member Posts: 14,198 ✭✭✭✭
    Your last paragraph is wisdom anywhere, Ken. The advice I got before wandering around in south Texas was to make plenty of noise to let the rattlers know you're coming. Now, I know that snakes are deaf, but they are pretty sensitive to even small vibrations in the ground, so it works out to be about the same thing. I've surprised very few snakes in my time - and only one that might have been serious trouble. Had to shoot that one, but given safe space, I prefer to go around 'em if possible.
    I may be a bit crazy - but I didn't drive myself.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,242 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a copperhead to me.
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Agree on the copper head, see the faint yellow tip on tail, sign of a young snake, copperhead especially.
    If you look a moccasin picture they do look about the same.
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    On my laptop now, David Nunn is correct, gentlemen, it's a Cottonmouth with its juvenile color.  I've seen them with these bright colors at five feet or better.  Powerful snakes as snakes go.
    What's next?
  • Options
    I just looked up juvenile cottonmouth online, and it certainly looks like one.   That is weird because it certainly looks like a copperhead as well.
    I have seen lots of adult cottonmouths, in Georgia they are almost black with virtually no pattern.   Tend to be short and fat and a really ugly snake.  I didn't know the babies were so brightly colored.   We don't have 'em up here in the mountains so I haven't seen a cottonmouth in 25 years.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

As usual, Nunn is correct. Juveniles of both species have yellow tail tips, used as "caudal lures" the are waved slowly to lure lizards close enough to strike. There are differences in head structure and color pattern, but they are similar being closely related.

• Options
  • Options
    WOW!!!!!! This is mindboggling! Apparently, in all my years of hunting, fishing, frog gigging; I've never encountered a baby Cottonmouth and I have seen and killed many adult Cottonmouths! Apparently, the young Cottonmouths do not have the typical musky smell that I've experienced when in close proximity to adult Cottonmouths; this one certainly didn't have that smell that I would have recognized immediately! It also surprises me that this one wasn't near a water source; the creek and a pond are down the slope a ways from my driveway.

@He Dog; what, specifically, do you see in this one that is proof positive that it is a young Cottonmouth?

• Options
    edited September 2020

Bill, everything about it is Cottonmouth, markings especially. Can you imagine one of this juvenile color five feet or better in length and bigger than my forearm?!!! I stood in awe of it. Huge, not fat, and sunning itself on a tree log that ran straight away from the bank, and, I don't recall exactly, about 15 feet away from it. It's head was also massive, and I'd think right at 3 & 1/2 inches wide! Imagine what that hummer would look like in its prime! Hardin County, Texas Big Thicket Cottonmouth!!!

You probably have a big 'in down on the creek in the same spot everyday!!!

What's next?
  • Options

Old-Colts, it is honestly hard to tell you. Like, how do you explain how you know it is a .22 and not a centerfire or a shotgun the moment you see it. The color pattern is more varied than a copperhead pattern which is more regular. It has random spots of color copperhead juveniles do not have. The head has a more ridgid triangular edge. Copperheads have a similar shape, but the edges are softer, and the head is relatively a little smaller. Copperheads are also a bit more gracile, and have a more velvety skin texture. Beyond that, I can only say 60 years of looking makes ID pretty swift if not instant, and it is hard to articulate what all I see that goes into a conclusion.

This is not to suggest Nunn is anywhere as near as old as I, I don't want to be banned quite yet, and he really is a pretty good guy.

• Options
    It is a cottonmouth, as I suspected.   Nunn, you were right!
      All I can say is, one summer day, I was down in south  Georgia, picking mushrooms in a pasture, and I was near the pond.  I just glanced up and there was a four-foot cottonmouth, all curled up and that mouth was wide open,  my wrist was about 18 inches away.  I'd love to have it on video but I swear I jumped four feet high, and five feet back.
    I was quite nimble and athletic in those days.

The big ugly snake did indeed have a big mouth that looked like cotton on the inside.   Really ugly fat black snake not a pretty pattern like the Eastern Diamondback.    I just missed getting nailed by that big poisonous snake.

I went on about my business and gave that snake a wide berth.   I try to leave the snakes alone, if they will leave me alone.
    I figure, God put them on earth for a reason.
  • Options
    He Dog said:

Old-Colts, it is honestly hard to tell you. Like, how do you explain how you know it is a .22 and not a centerfire or a shotgun the moment you see it. The color pattern is more varied than a copperhead pattern which is more regular. It has random spots of color copperhead juveniles do not have. The head has a more ridgid triangular edge. Copperheads have a similar shape, but the edges are softer, and the head is relatively a little smaller. Copperheads are also a bit more gracile, and have a more velvety skin texture. Beyond that, I can only say 60 years of looking makes ID pretty swift if not instant, and it is hard to articulate what all I see that goes into a conclusion.

This is not to suggest Nunn is anywhere as near as old as I, I don't want to be banned quite yet, and he really is a pretty good guy.

Thanks, He Dog, I can appreciate that it is the totality of its distinctive features. Interestingly, there were several things about this snake that were puzzling me, but I had never seen a Cottonmouth with that coloration. For a small young snake of that length, it seemed a lot thicker than a Copperhead would have been and the head shape and size seemed out of proportion for a Copperhead, but I dismissed those features and just figured it was a bulky Copperhead based on its color. Live and learn!!!!!! I'll sure as heck pay more attention next time!!!!!!!!!

• Options
    It was a lot more vivid than any I ever saw around the mid-west.
  • Options
    Believe it or not, the Timber Rattlesnake, Crotalus horridus, is protected in Texas.  Can't kill 'em, can't catch 'em, can't even touch 'em.  It's funny.  This snake only occurs in the far eastern part of the state, so its range is very small.  Move further east into Arkansas or Louisiana and they are everywhere and not protected.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    When I first look at the picture it didn't seem right for a copperhead.  But having never seen young cotton mouth I would have thought is was a copperhead too.
  • Options
    Like some of you folks, I have seen way more than my share of water moccasins in the wild, and not so wild places.  The vast majority of most of the young ones did not have anywhere near bright colors like the one at Bill's place, in fact, they were darker colored.  

Some of the adult ones we called Stumptails are really heavy and might be only about three feet, but then there are obviously really big ones like the one I mentioned above that still had beautiful juvenile colors.  It was an experience that I'll never forget, and it was in a snake infested marsh that had the musty smell Bill referred to.  You had to be on your P's & Q's when you walked around the accessible bank of this body of water. 

He Dog, my experience is much like that of what other members have noted where color is discussed, so why is it that we have seen so few of the brightly colored juveniles as opposed to typical darker colored young?   Any ideas?

What's next?
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Black Snakes Matter.

• Options
    kimi said:
    Like some of you folks, I have seen way more than my share of water moccasins in the wild, and not so wild places.  The vast majority of most of the young ones did not have anywhere near bright colors like the one at Bill's place, in fact, they were darker colored.

James, the revelation that this was a Cottonmouth still boggles my mind! My dad was in Oil Exploration; so I grew up in South Texas, South Louisiana, and finally Southwest Arkansas. I hunted, fished, and frog gigged in all those areas and never saw a young Cottonmouth with that coloration. I've killed a lot of Cottonmouths, up to 3 feet in length with huge girths, but all dark colored!

I will probably start wearing boots when I roam through our woods and down around the creek and pond!

• Options
    nunn said:
    It's a young Cottonmouth.  Same genus as the Copperhead, Agkistrodon, and the young look very similar.
    nunn; kudos to you and chiefr for recognizing that this was a Cottonmouth! I guess at almost 75, I'm still not too old to learn something new!  :)

• Options
    Kimi, the color is genetic obviously so the color of juveniles depends upon what they inherit in terms of color genes and the poly genes that modify color.  There may well be a regional component to the color, though I have seen both in populations in Southern Ill. and SE Missouri, the populations nearest where I grew up.  It is possible that one or the other color is selected for by the conditions of the environment where a populations lives, such that a brighter or darker color is actually more cryptic in a given habitat.  I doubt polymorphism is involved here, but some animals like the eyelash palm pit viper of Meso America exhibits a variety of color patterns from banana yellow to French roast brown, and in between a range of mixed colors of green, brown, black, white, terra cotta, chocolate etc.  The idea is if you are looking for a green and brown snake you might overlook one so yellow it disappears in the bananas.  They are extremely arboreal, and are usually found on open perches relying on color to hide them.  I have never found two in Costa Rica that were just alike.       
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    Bill, now I'm wondering how many small Copperheads that I might have come across that were Cottonmouths!  Having thought about what I just mentioned does not make good sense, though, since we not only grew up in the deep South, and were out and about in the woods and swamps probably as a norm, so we are more than pretty good at identifying snakes.  I'm thinking right now that brightly colored juvenile moccasins in some of the Gulf states, including some that border them, might be very rare in comparison to the darker colored ones we have been accustomed to seeing.

So, why haven't we seen more of these brightly colored juveniles, especially when some obviously retain bright colors when they become huge, like the one I mentioned?  I don't know, it simply does not make good sense that while we were growing up, or as men, so few instances of seeing these bright kind have been discussed here.  Maybe David or some other folks can weigh in on the subject, since they definitely know their snakes.   Dale just broadened it a whole lot in his answer to me.  

What's next?
  • Options
    He Dog said:
    Kimi, the color is genetic obviously so the color of juveniles depends upon what they inherit in terms of color genes and the poly genes that modify color.  There may well be a regional component to the color, though I have seen both in populations in Southern Ill. and SE Missouri, the populations nearest where I grew up.  It is possible that one or the other color is selected for by the conditions of the environment where a populations lives, such that a brighter or darker color is actually more cryptic in a given habitat.  I doubt polymorphism is involved here, but some animals like the eyelash palm pit viper of Meso America exhibits a variety of color patterns from banana yellow to French roast brown, and in between a range of mixed colors of green, brown, black, white, terra cotta, chocolate etc.  The idea is if you are looking for a green and brown snake you might overlook one so yellow it disappears in the bananas.  They are extremely arboreal, and are usually found on open perches relying on color to hide them.  I have never found two in Costa Rica that were just alike.       
    Many thanks old friend (for the workout with the dictionary, too!).   On the run right now with hospital appointments.  Talk later!
    What's next?
  • Options
    The siblings are in yer garage !!  ;)
     :D  Actually, my wife asked me if I thought we might start finding them in our garage. My best answer was; umm, probably not!  :o  Not too reassuring for her!!!!!!!

Then, to add insult to injury, the day after the Copperheaded-Rattle-Moccasin incident; I had the garage door open while sharpening the blades on my walk-behind mower and started hearing something buzzing in the garage and an occasional thumping sound. I stopped what I was doing and looked around the garage and there was a Hummingbird hovering under the LED Ceiling lights (probably thought it was the sun) and would bump the ceiling probably thinking that was the sky; NOPE. It had probably come in because of the red handle hanging on the garage door release cord, thinking it was a flower, and couldn't find its way out despite that huge opening with the door open. Even with turning the garage lights off, it took me and my wife about 30 minutes of trying to herd the Hummingbird to the door opening before I was finally able to get a broom high enough above it to push it downward towards the door and finally "it saw daylight" and got the heck out!!!!  :D

• Options
    I don't know what it's called, but when the soil around a tree on a riverbank is eroded away, and the tree falls over, it leaves a a void on the bank.  I was on the Cossatot in SW Arkansas with my collie/shepherd mix Nick, and there was one of these tree voids.  Nick thought something was there, so he went down into the void.

He began growling and biting and shaking something, so I got close.  In one of the holes in the bank where a large root had once been, it appeared that a mama Cottonmouth was birthing her young.  Well Nick had a grudge against Cottonmouths, and as each one crawled out, he grabbed and killed it.  Must have been a dozen of 'em.   

Mama didn't ever come out, which was OK by me, since some of the babies had bitten Nick, and I figured he'd had enough.  I called him off, and we went home.

Nick was a good dog.  He was nearly 15 years old when he got throat cancer and I had to have him put down.
  • Options
    kimi said:
    He Dog said:
    Many thanks old friend (for the workout with the dictionary, too!).   On the run right now with hospital appointments.  Talk later!
    You probably nailed it with the genetic and regional component of color comments, Dale.  Thanks.
    What's next?