In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How much you pay for salmon??

montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
Fish truck was parked at the local butcher shop today.  Went over to it after we got our beef.  They had 10lbs. of 'Fresh Frozen' salmon for $145.  I passed. 

Comments

• Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I pay about $40 for a tank of gas, and limit of 3 is about 30 lbs of fillets per person.  See, this is why I HATE salmon.  Growing up it's all we ate.  Salmon patties, salmon balls, salmon chowder, salmon steaks, salmon and noodle alfredo... squaw candy, hard smoked, soft smoked, salmon and scrambled eggs, after 30 or 40 years you've just had ENOUGH fricken salmon.
    Once we backpacked into the Gulkana river from a certain *cough* road marker on a secret trail and the river was low, and full of Kings.  You could see them from the high bank just laying in behind the boulders.  Five of us dropped down in there and didn't keep anything less than 45 lbs.  In an afternoon we had headed and cleaned fish, 3 apiece, averaging 40 lbs each.  120 lbs of fish per person, we hiked back out with 600 lbs of King salmon.  It was 4 or 5 miles back to the van and apparently the bears knew that trail too.  Breaking branches and huffing had us scooting along pretty quick, until we saw BIG brown fur coming through the alders and popping jaws, and we dropped our backpacks.  Dang it, I really liked that backpack.
  • dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭
    I love salmon!!  Maybe twice a week?  But every day??  Oh hell no.  I really get where you are coming from Nanuk!
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I've got a 1.1 lb sockeye fillet in the 'fridge for dinner tonight.  It was just under $10/lb.  
    Chinooks and silvers are good, but nothin' beats the sockeye for flavor!

• SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Living in Southern Indiana it's a lot cheaper to buy than to go catch.
    I live about an hour south of them in Charlestown.    
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Love Salmon. When up North, used to have it at least once a week. Grilled or baked.

One of my biggest disappointment's when moving where I am now, is little to no fresh seafood/fish.

Only frozen, limited selection, quality and way overpriced.

Most everything else has been good/very good.

BTW Forge there is some good summer time crappie fishing in a lake in Muscatatuck Wildlife Refuge down around Seymour.   You have to paddle it though, not motors not even electric.   In case you need to take the grandson fishing.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    In the mideast, we are usually offered only "Atlantic salmon".  Pale, flavorless, it's no comparison to the salmon we ate in Alaska.
    Neal
  • nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I used to fish for salmon on the Northern Indiana portion of the St. Joe River for years when I lived in Chicago. Cold weather, cold water and a ton of fun chasing them on lighter tackle. We'd fillet whatever we caught at the dock when we pulled in, then head right straight back to the motel to get the grill started for supper. Simple meals, salmon and a salad. Early to bed, early to rise and start all over again! :)

Best.

• Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    I like smoked Salmon.  I get a pack maybe once a month.

I am lucky to live not far from the ocean and have a guy who brings fresh fish and shrimp every week to the area.  I order my fish and shrimp from him and go pick it up.  My favorite fish is Orange Roughy its good when fresh and he always has nice 16-20 shrimp.
    RLTW

• WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,814 ✭✭✭✭

I don’t think that is an unreasonable price for a fish you can’t catch locally. I just don’t need 10lbs in the freezer at one time.

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭
    I'll pay up to $ 18.00 a pound for fresh salmon.

'Fresh Frozen' can usually be had for half that, and the extra price is not worth it IMO.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

Used to be the grill master at a high end Seafood restaurant (TN Coast.) in Johnson City, TN. after I got out of the Army and was in College. (ETSU) Could pull my lower refridgerated drawers open and identify any one of about 2 dozen fish variety. (Orange Roughy being one of them.) With Steaks and various other cuts of meat (factoring in how they were to be cooked,) very challenging. Grill 2as probably 6'X4'. Worked at an exclusive Island Restaurant in Miami, called "The Pelican." Many others in between.

Loved that job. I was very good at it.

• montanajoemontanajoe Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 57,892 ******
    edited September 2020
    The  fresh frozen is what got me.  I'm sure it was fresh when it got frozen, but don't know when that was, or where.  So their deal was no better than the fresh of a grocery store.

• BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    Back in the mid to late 60's the Michigan DNR planted Coho salmon in several of the local rivers around here (Traverse City) leading into Lake Michigan.  After a couple years, us youngsters would go Coho snagging during the spawn in the fall.  Snagging using a small weighted treble hook.  It was legal for a short time back then.  

I remember catching the first (big) fish in my life that must have weighed 20 lbs!  Not just one either!  Took a bushel basket home from the harbor loaded with em! My mom prepared that first catch nightly dinner with great care.  Flopping fresh baked salmon with many of her special fixen's on the side.  I can still remember my first bite along with the many distraught faces of my many siblings including my dad that ended up being the one and only bite of the fish that tasted like it was born to become cat food!  :s 

I spent that evening helping my pop dig holes to fertilize my moms rose garden. 
    edited September 2020

If you ever get a chance, try some fresh Copper River red salmon. It’s the one salmon I’ll stand in line for.

When the run starts they’ll hustle the first few fish off to the airport and fly it to Seattle On the “Salmon Forty Salmon” and there they make a huge deal out of preparing it in a high end restaurant. What a hoot!

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    I think it's $10.00-$14.50/lb in town. We get it from a neighbor up the road. I will only eat it if it's smoked, but the wife likes the fillets. 
    edited September 2020

How do you like to smoke it? I use hickory and apple wood chips for smoke and make a brine with brown sugar, Yoshidas and some secret ingredients, and smoke it until it’s hard glazed over and shiny. Squaw Candy with the skin on.

Eskimos preserve it another way...

I prefer it smoked too HPD. Wife will get fillets from the store and do them up somehow in the oven.  They taste real good, but not like smoked.   You know, I need I new smoker.  
    Yep apple wood chips.  Also pour cran-apple juice in the water bowl.  
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    I also fished the St. Joe river in Indiana by the dam. Fish on...   however not one time.. I caught a huge Brown trout.
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

fresh Scottish salmon is awesome

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Just had some can salmon patties for supper with fried taters.
  • asopasop Member Posts: 8,898 ✭✭✭✭
    Last week wife paid $20 a pound but only bought 1 pound!  She makes pasta and lightly poaches the salmon.  Serves it on top of the pasta with  marinara and grated cheese-REALLY a good dish :p
  • Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Local restaurant serves a Bacon Salmon burger, looks and taste good, 8.95 and includes any side. They will also make you any kind of salad on the menu with salmon. I like the south west chicken salad but substitute salmon, Delicious.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭

I don't ordinarily pay above $6.00 a pound for fish. I did pick up four, fresh frozen whole Sockeye salmon minus the heads for $5.00 a pound, about three months back. Have two left in the freezer.

What's next?
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    Most people smoke salmon with alder here.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    No idea what the price is, never buy it, don't care for salmon.
    Am I the only one? Well except for Nanuq907.

Now if you want to talk halibut..........

Mmmmmm halibut is pretty good.  But you know what, I prefer black cod or a couple of the other rockfish to halibut.  We catch monster 'butts down in Homer, 300 pound barn doors more than 100 years old.  But you filet those old girls and they're FULL of worms.  Pretty nasty, a fish that old just ain't good eatin, and they're the breeding stock too.  Stick with the "chickens", 30 to 40 pounders.  There's plenty of them and they taste way better.
    kimi said:

I did pick up four, fresh frozen whole Sockeye salmon minus the heads for $5.00 a pound, about three months back. Have two left in the freezer.

If you're going to keep them awhile be sure to vacuum pack.  If you don't have one of them, dip them in ice and freeze until they build a thick ice shell.  They last a little longer.  When I was a kid my job was to pull the salmon out of the freezer in the garage, use the meat saw to take off half a dozen 2" steaks, then dip and refreeze the cut end.  Boy the cat would show up quick, the "saw dust" was salmon meat and he'd lick it off the saw.
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    Although I do like many kinds of smoked fish, IMHO the main reason a fish is smoked is because it tastes bad if cooked any other way.    
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,733 ✭✭✭✭
    89 cents a can??
  • austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,829 ✭✭✭✭

We get the small cans and feed them to the dog every once in awhile. He loves it

• kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    Nanuq907 said:
    kimi said:

I did pick up four, fresh frozen whole Sockeye salmon minus the heads for $5.00 a pound, about three months back. Have two left in the freezer.

If you're going to keep them awhile be sure to vacuum pack.  If you don't have one of them, dip them in ice and freeze until they build a thick ice shell.  They last a little longer.  When I was a kid my job was to pull the salmon out of the freezer in the garage, use the meat saw to take off half a dozen 2" steaks, then dip and refreeze the cut end.  Boy the cat would show up quick, the "saw dust" was salmon meat and he'd lick it off the saw.
    Thanks, Nanuq!
    What's next?
  • pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,216 ✭✭✭✭

Wife is cooking salmon patties as I read this thread . Me , I am having pot roast for supper .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
    Oh yeah, that could be Indian Valley meats, or 10th and M Seafoods doing that.  Smart way to go, you can turn a cooler full of fillets into a couple 1-gallon ziplocks that don't weigh anything.
    My sister was flying back to college years ago, bringing some frozen salmon for the grandparents in her carry-on.  She also had her teddy bear in there and when she put it through the x-ray the images aligned and the technician about had a heart attack, slammed the STOP button and screamed YOU HAVE A DOG IN THERE???!!!!??????    :D