In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Ok, so, here is the latest strange thing that I've done lately.......hair salon story!!!!

Locust ForkLocust Fork Member Posts: 31,702 ✭✭✭✭
My brother goes to church of the highlands.   Its an enormous system of churches that has a pretty neat system of something they call "groups" and he loves it.   The groups are smaller classes that tailor their meetings to specialized things the members might have in common like book clubs.....off road.....bike riding....lots to choose from and you can bounce around in the different groups.    They have bible study and plan things that the group is based on.     So, that is how my brother met a guy named Tavish.    Tavish is a black man that has a barber shop/salon.   To show support my brother has been getting his hair cut by Tavish.     My aunt has been harping forever about wanting a perm.   So, we decided we would let Tavish do it and we'd all meet up there.    

My brother, my aunt, myself getting our "hair did" by Tavish. 

The salon thing he has is pretty interesting.    There is a main door with a code that you punch in and it lets you inside.   There is a hallway that circles around the place with small salon owners in booths, probably 30 or so, with glass walls and doors so you can see inside each one as you walk by.   So, this place is in Greensprings.   Its not "shady" but it is in a somewhat inner city type area.    We were the only white people there.    We had a ball.   

He started things by putting the tiny rollers in my aunt's hair, then moved me into the chair.    I got my head scrubbed and he trimmed the silver crown on my head.   If he weren't an hour away I'd go weekly just to get him to wash my hair.....its the best feeling in the world to have someone wash your hair and scrub on your scalp.  He got my aunt back in the chair to put more stinky chemicals on her head and then moved my brother into the chair while she sat under the chair dryer.    

At some point some guy came by dragging a rolling suitcase around to the salons selling hair products to the salon owners.    Tavish told him he didn't need anything, but about an hour later another guy came by.....he had a rolling cooler and Tavish was telling him he wasn't interested and I just had to ask what he had in the cooler.    It was homemade "beverages" in small plastic sealed bottles.   He had three flavors.....ohhhhh....you know we bought some of that.      We each got four.....even Tavish.    Since I wasn't driving I went ahead and opened one.    It was amazing.....and it was like fruit punch, but with a sneaky ending.   

After everyone's hair was done we planned to go next door to the Chinese grocery store and get something to eat in the lunch place they had inside there.    It was not open because of covid.    It was interesting to get to see the Chinese grocery store though.    Nothing at all in English.....and I had no clue there were so many Chinese people in Birmingham.     So, we wandered across the street to the Italian place.    The weather was perfect for eating outside.    It was a pretty fantastic day.     

If I can get my girls together, I'm planning on taking them to see Tavish and HOPEFULLY the Chinese place will be back up and running.   

LOCUST FORK CURRENT AUCTIONS: https://www.gunbroker.com/All/search?Sort=13&IncludeSellers=618902&PageSize=48 Listings added every Thursday! We do consignments, contact us at mckaygunsales@gmail.com

Comments