In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Customizing a truck

kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
Wife and I occasionally kick around the idea of buying a new, or new used, car.  We both like something sporty and with power, but getting in and out of some of them is not an easy thing for us to do.  Recently, we have briefly talked about customizing/souping up our old '99 GMC Sierra 1500, instead of buying newish.  It's an SLT ExtCab 4x4 pickup.  We'd also like a great sounding muffler system, too.  I'd like to hear from some of you folks that have been there and done it, how you liked it, plus any tips you might offer up for us.
What's next?

Comments

• Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭✭

Loud mufflers / straight pipes were the bomb at age 18 to 30 . The older I get the quieter I like it . Who wants to have to shout to carry on a conversation ? .or listen to that racket in a 5 or 6 hour trip . On anything you do think long term comfort . . If you must scratch an itch look for an older 70’s model you can hot rod at a reasonable price .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    pulsarnc said:

Loud mufflers / straight pipes were the bomb at age 18 to 30 . The older I get the quieter I like it . Who wants to have to shout to carry on a conversation ? .or listen to that racket in a 5 or 6 hour trip . On anything you do think long term comfort . . If you must scratch an itch look for an older 70’s model you can hot rod at a reasonable price .

:)  If we go this route, we'll likely keep the type Borla muffler we have on it now, which is not very loud, but great sound that allows for passable conversation.  Those East Tennessee boys know what they're doing!!!  :)
    What's next?
  • Options
    BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,413 ******
    I bought my disabled BIL's 2007 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport with the 4 liter V6 engine this past Spring with intensions to do some upgrades. The truck is near mint with only 80K miles on it.  

Thought I'd start out by just putting a nice cap on the 6' bed.  So far, the only caps I have run across for sale sized to fit my truck have only come with another truck attached!   Caps for this model are rarer than hens teeth around here anyway!  I have cooled on this idea a bit after hauling some tall items that would not have fit in the truck if it had a cap on it.  Being kept in the garage there will not be issues with snow piling up back there anyway.

I too am in the group that prefers quiet comfort in my rides these days.  Even with my bad hearing and tinnitus, a loud exhaust system seems to rattle what's left of my senses and causes me to flinch when one goes by!   

• Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    Isn't that kinda like getting gramma a $ 4000 boob job?
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭
    Most of the "improvements" and/or customizations are simply throwing money away but if you have the extra to toss, it's probably easier to trick out a pre-2000 Chevy than any other choice especially if it has the 350/5.7L engine.  Lots less computer crap to contend with and a less cluttered engine compartment. You're going to need some air flow upgrades, an upgraded injector set up, and a chip to make the doggy bark.  From a dyed in the wool GM guy, nothing sounds like or better than a dual  low restriction exhaust on a small block Chevy.
    You'll never recover the $$ spent and it'll cost you more to drive because once you hear that sound, you want to hear it more.
  • Options
    danielgagedanielgage Member Posts: 10,475 ✭✭✭✭
    aftermarket wheels aluminum or chrome
    captain chairs like custom trucks of Texas or Choo Choo  custom trucks use to put in trucks
    great sound system
    I miss my 1988 custom truck should have kept it
  • Options
    waltermoewaltermoe Member Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    A couple of years ago the wife said that we needed a change,  she said that she wanted something new and shiny, and could go from 0 to 140 in under 12 seconds, and something that wasn't real loud. I really didn't want to spend the money but thought what the hell she's a good woman and deserves it, so I went out and bought her a brand new chrome platted bath room scale.  After about a week and the swelling in my eye went down I apologized and things went back to normal.    
  • Options
    mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    brier-49 said:
    Isn't that kinda like getting gramma a $ 4000 boob job?
    If I had the power that would add a star to your account LOL, oh and thanks for the belly laugh

Used vehicles are through the roof right now, paid 22K at most for my 2019 pickup and Carvanna offered me 26 Friday I was soooo tempted but gotta have a truck and don;t want to wait to find a better deal

Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • Options
    Mobuck said:
    Most of the "improvements" and/or customizations are simply throwing money away but if you have the extra to toss, it's probably easier to trick out a pre-2000 Chevy than any other choice especially if it has the 350/5.7L engine.  Lots less computer crap to contend with and a less cluttered engine compartment. You're going to need some air flow upgrades, an upgraded injector set up, and a chip to make the doggy bark.  From a dyed in the wool GM guy, nothing sounds like or better than a dual  low restriction exhaust on a small block Chevy.
    You'll never recover the $$ spent and it'll cost you more to drive because once you hear that sound, you want to hear it more.
    Thanks for the comments, Mobuck.  
    What's next?
  • Options
    Thanks guys!   
    What's next?