In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anyone but her!

SoreShoulderSoreShoulder Member Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in Politics
I had an unusual feeling which could have just been a daydream that a certain very important person was looking at me with her mind's eye from a distance, with flattery that I estimated to be insincere.  It was not an actual hallucination of them being in the room, just a slight notion that I was on their mind. 

It persisted for several hours and I even thought I daydreamed that she was sending me kind little bits of advice, taking an interest in the little things I did as I puttered around at home, went to the grocery store, etc.

It got even a little intrusive.  I began wondering what was going on, and what I should do about it.  Someone else seemed to want to advise me to second guess my estimation that the flattery was insincere.  They thought I should ask her out.  

The very moment I even considered the notion, it seemed she noticed what I was thinking, and bam.  Flattery over.  I almost thought I heard her say, "it is too bad you resisted our schoolteacher track."  The oppressive feeling that she was looking at me vanished like a puff of smoke.  

I then felt one of the most powerful women in our community was simply showing everyone else an example of how they are to treat me.  When you realize I didn't donate my career to the Church, all your interest in me and any attention you are showing me must instantly vanish.  

I then remembered I had had the feeling she was investigating my business years before.  She was an important Catholic in a large city near mine and it seemed she had wanted to know why I wouldn't teach for Catholic schools since my career in a different degree field just wasn't getting off the ground.  

I had decided that if they want schoolteachers, let them pay qualified professionals a wage their work is worth, but it would be immoral for me to take their money because I couldn't shake the suspicion that it had been planned for me to not be able to get work in my degree field.  I don't know by whom.  If there is a secret cabal within our church which plans to hold certain people back in order to cheapen their schoolteaching or ministry, they don't advertise themselves.

I had begun to suspect for example that they kept track of who was exploitable and how.  Some party or other at my home parish in another state had, for example, noticed that I was a little obsessive so they steered me toward daydreaming about explaining things with clarity and precision and I wasted many a useful hour obsessing over putting things clearly.  They'd probably be all like "I didn't tell you to practice all the time.  What, do you think I know anything about why you would want to?"

Some "strong Christians" do believe in slavery and may simply be advancing their cause when they try for public office.  

Comments

• Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    Was that a mouth full?
  • Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    "Anyone" but her???  Sorry, I think I'll support the strong Christian woman who walks the talk.

She needs to be confirmed just as quickly as possible.
    She may be the last chance for the original constitution.
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm no psychologist, SS, but what you're describing sounds a lot like paranoid delusion to me.  

• Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,460 ✭✭✭✭

Picking your own mushrooms requires a little training.

Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    I am sure that I would heartily approve of what you said, if only I knew what you are talking about.  What you have said was probably as incomprehensible to me as that which we have said sounded to you.
    Neal
    "You may be paranoid, but that doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you."  -----  Neal
  • mac10mac10 Member Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭✭
    sorry that post needs psyciatric medication?
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Ho Buoy...............................................................................🤦‍♂️

• 4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Say What ???????????????????????????????
  • KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

"I am not sympathetic to the Confederacy or its constitution."

-Soreshoulder-

Well Bless Your Heart. It is not your fault you were born on the wrong side of the fence. The South did not fight the War of Northern Aggression over Slavery, they fought the War over undue Taxation and the North trying to impose their Will (against the Constitution I might add.) against the South.

Kimi will probably chime in here somewhere about all the rules/Laws that Abraham Lincoln pushed aside in his push for an illegal War, killing more Americans than many Wars since.

Perhaps you should brush up on your History.

Oh, ......................and take your Meds. 😉

• Grunt2Grunt2 Member Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭✭
     :# 
    Retired LEO
    Combat Vet VN
    D.A.V Life Member
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******
    edited September 2020
    Right on 84. Ole Abe was not all that against slavery, just happened to be the right fuel for his fire.
    And just for those you might think that I am for slavery you are badly mistaken.

• jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    edited September 2020
    Civil War discussions usually get poofed. 
  • Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Believe some "strong Christians" believe in slavery.
    None that I've ever met, anywhere in the world, over the last 50 years of ministry in music, puppetry, teaching through Vacation Bible School and Bible Study Fellowship.  Not one person, ever, anywhere.  And I've taught in extremely bigoted and racist eskimo communities that HATE the white devil, and they themselves don't believe in subjugating other tribes, while adhering to Christian faith.  It's weird out in the Bush.  Do you have any kind of hard evidence or is it all anecdotal?  
  • jimdeerejimdeere Member, Moderator Posts: 25,583 ******
    Well, ok, then.
    When one wallows in their own crapulance, they do not emerge covered in ulance.

Not Confucius

Brad Steele
  • BrookwoodBrookwood Member, Moderator Posts: 13,280 ******

Late Lament

Breathe deep the gathering gloom
    Watch lights fade from every room
    Bedsitter people look back and lament
    Another day's useless energy is spent
    Impassioned lovers wrestle as one;
    Lonely man cries for love and has none
    New mother picks up and suckles her son
    Senior citizens wish they were young

Cold-hearted orb that rules the night
    Removes the colours from our sight
    Red is grey is yellow white
    But we decide which is right
    And which is an illusion

With this quote, I can only add that the world we live in today is ...... ..

Ripple in still water
    When there is no pebble tossed
    Nor wind to blow

Reach out your hand if your cup be empty
    If your cup is full may it be again
    Let it be known there is a fountain
    That was not made by the hands of men

There is a road, no simple highway
    Between the dawn and the dark of night
    And if you go no one may follow
    That path is for your steps alone

Ripple in still water
    When there is no pebble tossed
    Nor wind to blow

Brad Steele
    https://newrepublic.com/article/159512/amy-coney-barrett-wants-felons-guns-not-votes

The lone dissenting judge was Barrett. In a 38-page dissent, she argued that history and practice from the founding era showed that the Framers did not intend to deny gun ownership to all felons, just those who could be dangerous. “Neither Wisconsin nor the United States has introduced data sufficient to show that disarming all nonviolent felons substantially advances its interest in keeping the public safe,” she wrote. “Nor have they otherwise demonstrated that Kanter himself shows a proclivity for violence. Absent evidence that he either belongs to a dangerous category or bears individual markers of risk, permanently disqualifying Kanter from possessing a gun violates the Second Amendment.”

Federal appeals courts are bound to follow the Supreme Court’s precedents in any given case. But when it comes to the Second Amendment, those precedents are far from settled. In the 2008 case D.C. v. Heller, the court ruled for the first time that the Second Amendment protected an individual right to bear arms unrelated to any militia function. Two years later, in McDonald v. Chicago, the court held that the Second Amendment’s protections also apply to state laws. The two decisions marked a sea change in how the courts interpreted the right to bear arms and cast doubt on a wide swath of gun-related restrictions nationwide.

By incorporation through Due Process, Heller and McDonald have transformed the 2nd Amendment (substantially) into a collective right.  In the highlighted section above, Barrett has succinctly expressed the individual liberty ensconced in the 2nd Amendment, and puts her on a much higher plain than her mentor, Scalia.

Brad Steele
    'Why would someone who was basically well off do this? '

Are you asking why someone who was basically well off did what you imagined she did based upon your assessment of her motives?

I am confused here.

Well someone is confused here.

Probably me.

Maybe not.

Brad Steele
  • hillbillehillbille Member Posts: 14,121 ✭✭✭✭

I am confused here.

Probably me.

Maybe not.

you made it farther than me, I was lost after his first post.......
  • NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,566 ✭✭✭✭
    'Why would someone who was basically well off do this? '

Are you asking why someone who was basically well off did what you imagined she did based upon your assessment of her motives?

I am confused here.

Probably me.

Maybe not.

Definitely not you , Don!
This discussion has been closed.