In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Things are getting interesting!! I'm taking my pastor out to learn how to shoot!

dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭
My assistant pastor is 67.  He has never owned or shot a gun.  He and his wife decided they needed some type of protection in the form of a firearm.  He bought a S+W bodyguard and a box of ammo.  He took it to the range and burned most of his ammo not hitting anything and realized this wasn't quite as easy as it looks like on TV and the silver screen!!      :D

On Wednesday we will start in my kitchen with a safety session, drawing out on paper proper sight alignment than go out and put a couple of hundred 22 LRs downrange until he's got the sights figured out and can hit the target.  He is going over board thanking me.  I can't seem to make him understand that this is just bunches of fun to me and I'm really glad to do it.

The thing that most makes me wonder what the world is coming to is Mike is 67.  He isn't antigun.  He is a good conservative, you want a gun you buy a gun.  You don't want a gun you don't buy a gun.  But for the first time in their life the two of them think protection is now a necessity.  These are good decent Christian people.  How much fear must there be all around this country if people like this are getting scared??  I should add they are not afraid of Trump, they are afraid of the leftie loonies.  

Comments

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Girl that cleans my home has a double barrel 20 gauge her brother gave her yrs and yrs ago. The other day she said there wasn't any ammo around in the stores.  Someone gave her some .410 shells..she said they didn't fit. Wow.... so she gets a lesson on firearm safety. And some high brass 20 gauge. Cool thing you are doing to educate. Finger off the trigger.
  • Options
    BobJudyBobJudy Member Posts: 6,473 ✭✭✭✭
    It is a shame that these uncertain times are causing (with good reason) people to fear for their safety. People of their age should be planning on how to enjoy retirement and not having to worry about BLM, antifa, defunding police and the rest of the stuff going on now. At least they recognize the need to be self reliant and see to their own safety. Kudos to you for helping them out. Is his wife going to become familiar with the new gun too?.
    One good thing to come out of the unrest of the last 6 months Is the increase in new gun owners. The more voters with guns will make it harder to push through anti gun agendas. Bob
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Let me state the old saying before someone beats me to it...
    Hallelujah and Pass the Ammo!
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭

Prior to the robbery I started seeing a huge increase in first time buyers . They seemed to span almost all the age ranges. Two groups stood out , older Retired folks and the divorced young mothers . Guess they had realized that the government was not going to be able to do it all .

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    At church Sunday when I asked if he was in need of some instruction his wife answered for him.  Something along the lines of OMG yes!!!  He only has 12 bullets left and he still can't hit anything!!  But his wife isn't interested in learning herself.  At least not at this point. 
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my employees is a preacher. Very devout Christian. Best not try to attack the members while he is behind the pulpit. His idea is, "I can see who or what is coming through door better than anyone else".
  • Options
    JimmyJackJimmyJack Member Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭✭
    Bless you my son!
  • Options
    mohawk600mohawk600 Member Posts: 5,376 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that I might be part of the last generation when guns were socially "ok" and not frowned upon. I was born in 69. I had an amazing mentor.

The country has gone crazy, so people are stocking up on guns and ammo........even the novices and non-initiates. 

Good for you to take the time and provide some education on safe gun handling and use, as well as marksmanship. We should all do that if we encounter a "newbie".
  • Options
    Nanuq907Nanuq907 Member Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭✭
    Pastor that married us spent a lot of time in Barrow Alaska and he's a heck of a shot.  He'd go out fishing with the elders on the pack ice and stand watch.  The polar bears get down on their belly and sneak upwind toward you, and when you look they cover their nose with a paw.  The elders have a sixth sense and when it goes off, it's time to leave.  Right Now.  He learned to shoot so he could keep himself and the community fed.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    One of my sons is a minister.   He carries every Sunday giving the sermon or not.
  • Options
    thunderboltthunderbolt Member Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭
    Watching the riots on tv made a lot of people wonder how to defend their home should a mob decide to burn it down.  Now everyone knows the need for 30 round magazines.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm gonna be acting as an RO for the local chapter of The Well Armed Woman on Saturday.  At last count they had 50 ladies signed up and 5 of us to act as RO's.  A bunch of these gals have had little to no experience with firearms but have a sudden and keen interest in learning. 
    Should be an interesting (and hopefully fun!) day.   
  • Options
    Neo, I hope they listen better to you than they listen to their husbands!!!       :D
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭✭

Semi local to me gun shop had an indoor range . Local to them chapter of wellarmed woman has just started up there . Several women I know have participated in the program . Apparently they are having problem finding good range officers and instructors that work well with new female shooters. Wife is going to give it

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    Went shooting with my insurance agent.  He loved my Ruger GP-100 and copied It's modifications.  Before we got to shoot again, he retired with Alzheimer's and I never saw him again.   Savor these times.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,633 ✭✭✭✭
    dreher said:
    Neo, I hope they listen better to you than they listen to their husbands!!!       :D
    Me too!  Not many things worse than teein' off a bunch of girls with guns!