In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

CCL holders required to use FFL mediator?

EnoughtaxesEnoughtaxes Member Posts: 3
edited September 2020 in General Discussion
New to the site; I thought this would be covered somewhere in the introduction/registration process however I see nothing about CCL (Concealed Carry Licensed) buyers and purchases. Are CCL holders required to use middle man, or can the business i.e. Gun Shop, send directly to the buyer after completion of background check?  

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    In situations where state laws allow, a Concealed Weapons License (by whatever name it is known) may exempt a purchaser from any state mandated waiting period (as in the case here in Florida) but it does not allow direct for receipt of firearms shipped across state lines. If shipping across state lines, the recipient must have an appropriate Federal Firearms License. 
  • Options
    WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,839 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

You should definitely use the gunshow loophole.

of course Im kidding, welcome to GB.

• Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    Warbirds is being coy, of course, but from a practical point of view, if you can, in your state still legally purchase firearms Face to Face without a Form 4473 NICS check, I would encourage you to do so.  Without knowing what is eventually coming down the road, legal possession of firearms that do not have paper trails that lead to you is a very good thing.

Roberts lost his spine somewhere along the way, and there is nothing in the Heller/McDonald decisions that will prevent states and/or the Federal Government from requiring that all firearms be licensed and registered with either that State Government or the Federal Government.

Welcome to the forums.  I think you will find that with one exception, the sellers on GB are top notch.  The number of exceptions on the forum side is at least twice that number.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭
    Illinois is in line after the election to do just that and it will happen and a "fee" will be required for every firearm. Mark my words.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    Warbirds is being coy, of course, but from a practical point of view, if you can, in your state still legally purchase firearms Face to Face without a Form 4473 NICS check, I would encourage you to do so.  Without knowing what is eventually coming down the road, legal possession of firearms that do not have paper trails that lead to you is a very good thing.

Roberts lost his spine somewhere along the way, and there is nothing in the Heller/McDonald decisions that will prevent states and/or the Federal Government from requiring that all firearms be licensed and registered with either that State Government or the Federal Government.

Welcome to the forums.  I think you will find that with one exception, the sellers on GB are top notch.  The number of exceptions on the forum side is at least twice that number.

I agree with all of the above, but mostly it precludes the use of the Auction side of GB. If you're buying through GunBroker, basically count on having your firearm shipped to an FFL, as Mark mentioned.

There are exceptions of course, but they all prove that I am correct.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    I already have complaints from members about their threads constantly hijacked by the forum's political crew, so remain focused on the OP's question and do not turn this brand new member's thread into a statement on gun rights. 
  • Options
    Butchdog2Butchdog2 Member Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    In NC, NO. Resident concealed carry license holders must still go through licensed FFL holders with a face to face transaction for out of state incoming shipments.
    No NICS background check required for in state purchases if buyer has a valid NC CC permit . Sheriff's purchase permit will do the same.
    Make sense?
    In state transactions, private resident, person to person transactions,  different animal
  • Options
    CaptFunCaptFun Member Posts: 16,678 ✭✭✭
    Your permit MAY get you out of having to pay for a NICS check when you go to the FFL to pick your gun up.   That depends on your state.  If you buy a gun from a person in your own state you MAY be able to do a face to face without a NICS check again,  depends on your state.  But if it is coming from a seller out of state it must ship to an FFL. 
  • Options
    I have located a FFL holder (gunsmith) just a few miles from the house to handle my transactions. 
    As Mark said; "Concealed Weapons License may exempt a purchaser from any state mandated waiting period (as in the case here in Florida) but it does not allow direct for receipt of firearms shipped across state lines. If shipping across state lines, the recipient must have an appropriate Federal Firearms License." Additionally, the background check is still required before taking possession - even with a CCL. 
    Thank you to everyone for your input, and the very welcoming greeting to the forum - I appreciate it.
    Be well...
  • Options
    Not so In NC. No NICS check required.
  • Options
    I'm glad that we could help. I hope you'll hang around the forum. 
  • Options
    Butchdog2 said:
    Not so In NC. No NICS check required.
    My guess is they want to confirm nothing negative had occurred since receiving the CCL, and purchasing the firearm. Fortunately it's only five-bucks for the check.  
  • Options
    Is sort of interesting, Lots of mischief can occur from issue date to expiration date. I would wager most CC carry people are pretty much law abiding citizens.
  • Options
    chmechme Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭
    In SOME (not all) states, having a current Concealed Weapons license will exempt you from the NICS check.
    However, transfer of ownership across a state line will still require that the transfer be through a FFL holder in the home state of the recipient.  They must still complete the form 4473, and any other requirements your state may have. 

One way that a FFL may ship SOME firearms directly to you is for you to get an 03 Curio & Relic FFL for yourself.  This covers firearms in their original condition that are 50 years old or older.  I find an M1 Carbine I like, win the auction.  Dealer is in Utah, I'm in Virginia.  I send him a copy of my FFL, he drops the carbine in mail to me.   Does nothing for modern guns. 

Gunbroker does have a nifty "Find a FFL" feature- put in your zip, it pulls up FFLs near you that have registered as being willing to serve as a transfer agent. Usually lists their fee for doing that.   
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭
    Butchdog2 said:
    Is sort of interesting, Lots of mischief can occur from issue date to expiration date. I would wager most CC carry people are pretty much law abiding citizens.
    Statistically we're a more law abiding bunch than the cops!

• Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭

Where in Florida are you located? There are several on this forum from around Fl. I’m from south of Ocala but north of Orlando area.