In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

This would be some fun varmint hunting

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
FL is loaded down with invasive species; snakes, fish, bugs and monkeys.  I posted about them a few years ago and I cannot believe a bunch of rednecks haven't gone out and wiped them out but here they are in the news again.  I don't understand why they jumped in the river, I would think a gator would eat them.

C&P

A family on a kayaking trip were forced to dodge dozens of potentially deadly monkeys that had dive-bombed into the river in front of them.  

Cheyenne Sosebee was paddling through the Silver Springs State Park in Ocala, Florida, with her family on September 20 when she spotted marauding rhesus macaques overhead.

The 28-year-old had just kayaked away from the tree that the primates started to leap from only seconds later.

Video footage taken by the stay-at-home mother shows the monkeys throwing themselves from a tree and into the water below.

One-by-one the monkeys dive-bomb into the river during the bizarre display, fearlessly launching themselves almost to the opposite side of the river.

Rangers are heard warning people to 'move away from the monkeys, you don't want them to attack you' as Ms Sosebee continues to film the primates splashing into the river. 

Around 30 per cent of the species carry herpes B, which is potentially fatal to humans, but it is unlikely to spread from the monkeys, according to WDBO.

Ms Sosebee said: 'Before we moved our kayak away from their tree, I was worried about them landing on us. I certainly wouldn't want them in my boat. Seconds after we moved, they started jumping.

Ms Sosebee videoed the agile primates propelling themselves from a tree
I figure a 12 gauge with #5 high brass lead shot and a Modified choke would be just about right.

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently Florida is not ready to "Go Medieval on them."

A recent thread I posted about the invasive Snakes there, said that you were not allowed to shoot them. You had to bring them in alive (screw that) so they could be dispatched.

I would imagine these are more of the same.

• Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    IMO an invasive species should be dispatched in any humane way; shooting trapping cutting its head off with a machete, stomping it to death..........

There should be no season and there should be no requirement for a license.  There should be a bounty on them though.

They would be gone in a month if that was done.
    RLTW

• Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Common Sense does not seem to be prevalent in most of these situations Sam.

• Options
    Ricci.WrightRicci.Wright Member Posts: 5,129 ✭✭✭✭
    I DON'T OWN A MONKEY GUN!!!!  🙈🙉🙊🙈🙉🙊🐵🐵🐵🐵☠☠☠☠☠🔨🔨🔪🔪
    🗡🗡🗡🔫🔫🔫🪒🪒🪒
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,748 ✭✭✭✭
    I believe that is correct that you have to bring the python in alive and they "humanely" dispatch it. WTH, let the hunters shoot everyone of them with a shotgun, just plain ignorant. I believe they do have a bounty and pay by the foot but could be wrong about that in FL.
  • Options
    gjshawgjshaw Member Posts: 14,697 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I did a pontoon photo shoot on that river near Ocala Florida a few years back. I used the Lake county sheriff department deputies as my models and they fed the monkeys grapes to get them around the pontoon for the photos. My wife worked in the sheriffs department at that time and we had several officers that helped us do the photo shoot in their off time. There are hundreds of monkeys there leftover from the filming of Tarzan many years back. The monkeys can swim but they try to leap from trees on one side of the small river to the other side. That river starts in what used to be Silver Springs, a old tourist destination.

• Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,953 ✭✭✭✭
    Florida just might want to be sure just what is being killed, many folks can't tell an Indigo from a python.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    I DON'T OWN A MONKEY GUN!!!!  🙈🙉🙊🙈🙉🙊🐵🐵🐵🐵☠☠☠☠☠🔨🔨🔪🔪
    🗡🗡🗡🔫🔫🔫🪒🪒🪒
    Grab a glock and go look in the mirror you big ape....... :D;)