In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Recover Stabilizer Kit = Better Mouse Trap

rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
If you don't have one of these? Get one! It turns a Glock 17, into a Personal Defense Weapon. Greatest thing since sliced bread. For $100 plus shipping it's a unbelievable deal. There a couple of other outfits, that make similar kits. But they are way bulkier, and more expensive.

Couple years ago I built a 9 mm AR pistol. The sucker is 22 inches long and weights 6.5 lbs loaded. The Recover Stabilizer Kit weights 2 3/4 lbs loaded, and is 18 1/2"inches extended, 11 inches with "brace" folded. Needless to say, I'm going to get rid of the AR pistol. 

I already mounted a green laser on mine. And have the tallest Ameriglo suppressor sights, coming from Lone Wolf. Didn't buy the belt holster. When i ordered the Stabilizer kit, but I'm going to.

My WAG is that the military and the badge boys, are going to jump on it big time. Seeing that it turns any plain vanilla G 17, into a very effective 100 yard PDW.

Comments

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    They are inexpensive. I've gone with the Micro Roni and the FAB Cobra:

• Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    Okay.   The first use that came to my mind was having it in the vehicle along with some extended mags. One gun two purposes instead of a pistol and a carbine.   How long does it take to fit it to the pistol?   
  • Options
    SCOUT5 said:
    Okay.   The first use that came to my mind was having it in the vehicle along with some extended mags. One gun two purposes instead of a pistol and a carbine.   How long does it take to fit it to the pistol?   
    Only 1 allen, locks the Glock into the stock. A minute at the most. As long as you don't lose the allen wrench.
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    Now you can start practicing those 1 mile shots.... ;) Look neat, thanks for sharing.
  • Options
    NeoBlackdogNeoBlackdog Member Posts: 16,638 ✭✭✭✭
    What are the legalities of a device like that?  Looks to me like you just turned a pistol into an SBR.  

• Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited September 2020
    What are the legalities of a device like that?  Looks to me like you just turned a pistol into an SBR.  

Both of my photos show a Glock 19 which has been registered as a Short barreled Rifle. In the case of the Micro Roni, there is a "pistol" version of the same system which as a few design changes: no front grip and an "arm brace" which takes it out of the preview of the NFA. 

Attaching these things is relatively easy.  In the case of the FAB Cobra stock, there is an adaptor which slides into the empty space at the bottom of the Glock grip. It has a spring loaded retention tab (top arrow) which is released by a level at the bottom of the stock (lower arrow)
    Frankly, this contraption is awkward not especially stable. On the other hand, the FAB sales rep at the SHOT Show was a stunning Israeli girl, so a purchase was mandatory! 

The Micro Roni is another matter. It encapsulates the entire pistol, and turns it into a complete weapons system.
    After opening the trap door at the bottom of the stock unit, you can insert or remove the pistol in under five seconds by simply sliding it in or out.

The Micro Roni is a viable weapon, while the FAB Cobra- despite the lovely dark haired sales girl, is more of a novelty. 

As always, my own opinions, and my own photos of my own guns.
  • Options

I had the same thoughts, when I first ran across the various AR "braces". When they became available,  couple/3 years ago. But the feds have approved them,  "AT THIS POINT IN TIME".  Of course all bets are off. If Joe the grouper, and his leftie friends win in Nov.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

While interesting, I still have (in a locked box in my vehicle) a Glock 22 in .40, paired up with a Kel-Tec Sub2K also in .40. Shares mags. 17 rounder for the Glock, stock 10 for the Sub2K. About 4 31 round SMG mags loaded and ready to go. Unfolding the SUB2K takes a few seconds at most. Increased barrel length aids in velocity/energy.

I'll stick to my handguns being handguns and my pistol caliber Carbines being just that.

• Options
    There are advantages and disadvantages to each. With the Roni system you will always have your pistol with you (if you're a Glock fan), which you can quickly convert into a fast handling carbine. If you compare the size of the Roni with a conventional 9mm SBR, the compactness of the Roni is obvious:

It also folds into a very small package:
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

Acknowledged.

I still prefer the added barrel length/energy of my Carbines. My Sub2K folds down tiny. Makes a very compact Carbine with all the advantages inherent to that category.

My Kel-Tec PLR16 takes it up a notch. 30 rounds of 5.56, in a very small package. Small Tactical case, 5-6 mags, Meprolight M20P Holographic site, (no batteries) Tension it out with the Voodoo Tactical one point sling, shoots/aims like a SBR. 7.2" barrel. Forward hand guard, muzzle brake. Very potent, very small package.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    For what the kit costs just a little more and a real rifle could be purchased. Then you can have both
  • Options
    For what the kit costs just a little more and a real rifle could be purchased. Then you can have both
    The Recover Stabilizer Kit, ran me $115, shipped. Don't know what kind of rifle you have in mind, that inexpensive? Maybe, your into BB guns? 
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020

I have one of these CAA versions. The Roni that Mark has is a better design as it has a flip down cover that protects the trigger.
    The CAA Gear Up conversion doesn't have that safety. Meaning you need to carry it chamber empty in a vehicle.
  • Options
    I looked at the Roni, when I was first planning on a Glock conversion. I went with the Recover. because it was smaller, handier, lighter, etc.etc. Quite happy with my choice.

The guy who designed it, is a pro. He has designed a minimalist, PDW/holster combo that really works. The only changes I would have made, would have been a recess in the front of the stock. For a internal protected laser. Laser's and red dot's, are inherently fragile. All you have to do, is to drop them once and they are history. Also larger/higher sights. As the stock Glock sights, are to hard to acquire with the brace deployed.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    The Recover brace looks good until I realized it's right hand only.
    I'm left handed. I have no interested in carrying cavalry draw with a Glock.