In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Navy SEALs.................................WTH

Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2020 in Politics
The SEALs have gone gender neutral and opened their ranks to females.

This is the kind of stuff that really messes up a unit and has no positive impact.  I call things like this "No Value Added".  What is this change going to do to improve the unit or make them better soldiers.  Why do they need women?  Is their a shortage of men willing to become SEALs?  I doubt it. 

This will probably be moved to politics even though it has nothing to do with politics.

RLTW

Comments

• Options
    dreherdreher Member Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭
    In my opinion the so called "leaders" in the military are bureaucrats not warriors.  To a bureaucratic leader female seals make sense because no ultra lib will give them grief over not being gender inclusive.  
    A warrior leader knows this is stupidity and will refuse to put females in Seal units.  Since those over the warriors are bureaucrats in todays military the warrior loses most of the battles.  
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    Liberalism is a mental disorder.
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I saw Demi Moore intigrate the Navy SEAL's quite a while back in GI Jane. It was on TV it had to be true. Right?

• Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    Very few applied to try outs for our teams (SWAT), even less made it beyond testing, only one or two over the years made it thru the basic entry level schools-none to the advanced. The several who eventually made it thru didn't stay very long. (I'm not hearing encouraging things about proposed changes in the "interest of diversity". These units sure as hell aren't the place for that social experiment.)
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    KenK/84BravoKenK/84Bravo Member Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭

I distinctly remember going on our longest Forced March in Basic, (22 mi.?) We (the Guys) were carrying about everything we had. The Women who also "appeared" to carrying full packs were keeping up. (Woah.....)

When we got to our bivvy area, all the Women's gear was unloaded off Deuce and a halfs. They had been carrying wadded up newspaper, etc.

Pathetic.

If they can't legitimately fulfill the same standards, they have no business being there.

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Personally, I say give 'em a shot. Make it where they are not included just because they are a female (as in the workplace). But hold them to the EXACT same level of excellence and requirements as everyone else.
    I knew a female fire fighter in the late 80's early 90's. She was 5'2" probably 105 pounds. She was always in the top 10% in the tower run fully loaded wearing full protective clothing. The biggest guy there was probably 225 and she could get him from the floor and fireman carry him as fast as the guys could. I know fire fighting isn't the same as the special forces. But, she just about couldn't get on an engine crew. Once she had been there for a year or so, they wouldn't let her go anywhere else.
    Moral of the story? The SEAL's are the top what, the half of one percent? I doubt most women can perform at that level. But, if they can, why not let them?
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    Next thing you know they'll be in Marine Force Recon...or maybe they already are.  Times change.
    What's next?
  • Options
    4205raymond4205raymond Member Posts: 3,248 ✭✭✭✭
    I was there when Andrea Hollen USMA 1980 broke the glass ceiling. General Berry the Supt. fought like hell to keep the gals out but he failed and acquiesced when the order came down from the Secretary of Defense. One thing about us vets we knew how to obey orders. To quote the Trumper "It is what it is."-------------------------------------Ray
  • Options
    pulsarncpulsarnc Member Posts: 6,248 ✭✭✭✭

Been in the fire service since 1983 . Lots of females have come and gone . I can count on one hand the number who have measured up to the same standards the men have had to meet . Two of whom I would welcome on my team any time , some of the best smoke eaters I ever worked with . If you can do the job then welcome if not don’t let the foot hit you on the way out

cry Havoc and let slip  the dogs of war..... 
  • Options
    ChrisStreettChrisStreett Member Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭
    I will say though, the few that made it did their jobs, the standards were the same for everyone., they just tended to move on/up to other assignments. Not having a military background I can't comment on a combat environment though I can see some serious issues that could arise
    "...dying ain't much of a living boy"-Josey Wales
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    Should be a minimum requirement.... Amazon women can apply
  • Options
    truthfultruthful Member Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭✭
    Well, if the SEALS follow the same pattern as other military and law enforcement groups, the females will have to meet lower standards than males, be given extra chances to pass qualifications tests both physical and mental. Once accepted into the service, they will always be given the soft-ball assignments and be at the top of the promotions list. As a duty partner, they risk the safety of their male partner. He is always the one that has to confront the POS while she holds the clip board and handles communications. Later, the report will discus how the TEAM handled the situation.
  • Options
    bustedkneebustedknee Member Posts: 2,002 ✭✭✭✭

The result of all this "equality BS" is the lowering of standards.

When the minority candidates cannot achieve the lower standard they claim it is because they are/were oppressed therefore never stood a chance.

They demand, and are awarded, the position as compensation for being disadantaged.

Look at each and everyone of our government agencies! Screwed up beyond use. (I retired from government service after 35 years spent in the military and several agencies)

For a list of awarded incompetents see:

mayors,

governors,

senators,

congress things

And our previous president?... a woman and her 2 daughters standing in line behind me at the polls were giddy with excitement about "being a part of history to elect the first black president". Result - worst president in my lifetime.

Then, they tried to elect our first female president simply because "It is time for a woman president!"

My wife and I were excited over the opportunity to put a competent person in the office who would try to keep their promises.

I would vote for a green, tri-sexual martian if they were qualified, halfway honest and patriotic.

Restore our standards and give the jobs to the most qualified, whether it is The Navy Seals, public office, police, fire, truck driver or dog catcher. If it is a white male, so be it.

WE ARE DOOMED!

The only consolation is I'm old and will not be alive to see the collapse of these great United States.

I cry for my grand children.

I can't believe they misspelled "Pork and Beans!"
  • Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    I was in the SeaBees,usually working with the Marines.The Marines had a saying that has helped me most of my life=You aint gotta like it,you gotta do it.
  • Options
    drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,531 ✭✭✭✭
    Whoever thought it was a good idea to let women vote or hold government offices. :o
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,879 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    I just got an email from my boss (the County Executive):

"County Executive Calvin Ball Announces New Equity and Restorative Practices Position  

ELLICOTT CITY, MD – Today, County Executive Calvin Ball announced a new government position, the Equity and Restorative Practices Manager, whose role will identify any practices or policies needed to ensure equity; recommend and implement training and competency-building; develop strategic community partnerships. Through restorative practices, the leader in this position will help our community in strengthening relationships and building social connections. Ball also announced the renaming of the Office of Human Rights to the Office of Human Rights and Equity.  Pictures from the event can be found here, and video can be found here."

I wish I knew what this means.

Neal

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,425 ✭✭✭✭
    Neal, looks to me that you're in for a promotion and a big raise.  :D
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,229 ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2020

In the eighties I was a paremedic at Baldwin County, Georgia, EMS.  I am the guy in the back on the right side with the beard.
    Twenty full time medics and all were guys.  In 1985, we hired the first female.  Over the next 9 years we hired 14 females.  Some full time some part time.
    Half of those gals could not lift a stretcher with the average size patient on it, which was a 170 pound patient.
    Several times, a female would drop the stretcher with the patient on board, the male medic had to reach over and grab the other side to try to keep the patient from falling on the concrete, and the male medic injured his back and had to have medical care.
    If you can't lift a stretcher, you ain't an EMT.  You need to get an LPN certificate and go to work in the hospital.
    In the face of male EMTs, and patients getting injured due to incompetent females, nobody ever asked if the females were qualified to do the job.  And this in one of the most conservative areas of the country, a long long way from Manhattan or San Francisco.
    Feminists such as Hillary had decreed that females were equal, and that was the end of the discussion.  
    I don't doubt that you can find a female, maybe one in a hundred, who can do the same work as a man, and if so, bring her on. 
    We did have 7 female medics who could lift the stretcher and some of them were good medics.  But the physical demands of being a paramedic are a far, far cry from the demands of being a firefighter, or a Navy SEAL.  Not even close.

On 9/11, three hundred forty three firefighters were killed in the twin towers.  How many were female?   Zero.
    When it is pay day, the girls are front and center, but when it is time to strap on 73 pounds of bunker gear and climb 103 stories of stairs in the smoke and fire, the girls are absent from duty.
  • Options
    serfserf Member Posts: 9,217 ✭✭✭✭
     The women want this for one reason,political power. The government exposes a fighting unit if and when a person cannot pass the SAME physical standards for all requirements. Warfare is however changing and a hot shot women pilot is about equal except for severe G forces which are not being required in most dog fighting in planes now.
                                                         serf
  • Options
    serf said:
     The women want this for one reason,political power. The government exposes a fighting unit if and when a person cannot pass the SAME physical standards for all requirements. Warfare is however changing and a hot shot women pilot is about equal except for severe G forces which are not being required in most dog fighting in planes now.
                                                         serf
    Or in other words "A fighting unit is only as fast as it's slowest man/woman" ---------Ray
  • Options
    SW0320SW0320 Member Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭✭
    dreher said:
    In my opinion the so called "leaders" in the military are bureaucrats not warriors.  To a bureaucratic leader female seals make sense because no ultra lib will give them grief over not being gender inclusive.  
    A warrior leader knows this is stupidity and will refuse to put females in Seal units.  Since those over the warriors are bureaucrats in todays military the warrior loses most of the battles.  
    This is absolutely true.  Because I do some part time for the military I can attest to this statement.
  • Options
    nmyers said:

"County Executive Calvin Ball Announces New Equity and Restorative Practices Position  

ELLICOTT CITY, MD – Today, County Executive Calvin Ball announced a new government position, the Equity and Restorative Practices Manager, whose role will identify any practices or policies needed to ensure equity; recommend and implement training and competency-building; develop strategic community partnerships. Through restorative practices, the leader in this position will help our community in strengthening relationships and building social connections. Ball also announced the renaming of the Office of Human Rights to the Office of Human Rights and Equity.  Pictures from the event can be found here, and video can be found here."

Neal

I do, too.  Hopefully it signals a change for the better is going to come.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,473 ✭✭✭✭
    kimi said:
    nmyers said:

Neal

Doubtful, kimi.

Anything with 'restorative practices' and 'equity' in the title is going to be highly suspect.  
    Restorative practices are akin to reparations and will be implemented to correct the inequity of outcome that exists, without bothering to ensure, confirm, or even check to see if equity in opportunity exists.

Perhaps I am just too jaded, but this has been a bad year for the rational advancement of civil rights.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,260 ******
    I couldn't give two flips over this, so long as the exact same physical and mental standards are met.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    kimi said:
    nmyers said:

Neal

Doubtful, kimi.

Anything with 'restorative practices' and 'equity' in the title is going to be highly suspect.  
    Restorative practices are akin to reparations and will be implemented to correct the inequity of outcome that exists, without bothering to ensure, confirm, or even check to see if equity in opportunity exists.

Perhaps I am just too jaded, but this has been a bad year for the rational advancement of civil rights.
    You're probably right, Don, given that he is a democrat.
    What's next?
  • Options
    I couldn't give two flips over this, so long as the exact same physical and mental standards are met.
    That's the key, and with it in place they will be as rare as hen's teeth in any special ops outfit.
    What's next?
  • Options
    Silver Star 5301Silver Star 5301 Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    a waste of resources.   There isn’t a woman alive who can pass those requirements.  To spent time on preparation and evaluation for a 100% failure rate is pandering.    Unfortunately, it will keep the money people from resetting the spec ops and punishing them by cutting funding. 
  • Options
    Allen, thank you for pointing out that there were 343 male firefighters killed on 9/11 in the Twin Towers. Horrific, I guess I never realized there were so many brave men that gave up their life that day. I know in village i live in in upstate NY there were three or four. "Never Forget"----------------------------------Ray
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    Sam06 said:
    I call things like this "No Value Added".  
    This will probably be moved to politics even though it has nothing to do with politics.

No Value Added? That could describe any of several forum members.

I'm not sure why this thread was moved to Politics, as the Military sub forum would have been more appropriate. 
  • Options
    Sam06Sam06 Member Posts: 21,254 ✭✭✭✭
    Sam06 said:
    I call things like this "No Value Added".  

No Value Added? That could describe any of several forum members.

I'm not sure why this thread was moved to Politics, as the Military sub forum would have been more appropriate. 

I am not sure Mark where this should be.  In reading the posting guide lines GD seams the most appropriate because this was not dictated by7 a politician but buy the Navy but it has nothing to do with veterans.

Military forum:  A forum dedicated to United States Veterans, though all are welcome regardless of service status. At request of the moderators, this forum has been combined to include both Gulf War and Vietnam Veteran forums

Politics:  Views about politics; And anything else YOU believe to be Politically motivated. If you are, or know of a pro-gun politician, this is the place to post that info. If you are looking for an unmoderated free-for-all you will not be at home here.

General Discussion:  Exchange messages with other users about virtually any other topic of interest. Please - no Want Ads, For Sale Ads, auction site support questions, whining, or griping. Be nice.

I also read that the POTUS was going to countermand this policy because he thought it was stupid(and it is)
    Now this thread is safe in Politics ;)

RLTW